View Full Version : '89 Sears just delivered

Jon A.
08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Set is long gone.

zeno
08-26-2013, 02:34 PM
The ch 91 is an old RCA trick. Pix to dark to tell
for sure. A pix of a well lit back would ID it.
You can usually tell who made it by the stickers,
type of screws, style of jacks etc......

73 Zeno:smoke:

radiotvnut
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I'll bet that's an RCA-supplied set.

Jon A.
08-26-2013, 10:24 PM
The ch 91 is an old RCA trick. Pix to dark to tell
for sure. A pix of a well lit back would ID it.
You can usually tell who made it by the stickers,
type of screws, style of jacks etc......

Unfortunately I can't get another pic right now, the one I provided is from the ad. I did take another look at the back and saw that it's held in place by 1/4" hex-head screws and washers, does that help at all? Oh, one more thing, I see that the right-channel sound inputs are also mono inputs.

zeno
08-27-2013, 06:35 AM
The 1/4" screws almost guaranty its US made. Most
US sets use them, most JP. ROK & Chin-Com sets
use gold or silver phillips. Evidence pointing to RCA ( Thompson).
Does it have a CTC # on the back ?

Jon A.
08-27-2013, 10:12 AM
No CTC number unfortunately, the only chassis number is the one I mentioned in the original post. Couldn't find it with Google.

dieseljeep
08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately I can't get another pic right now, the one I provided is from the ad. I did take another look at the back and saw that it's held in place by 1/4" hex-head screws and washers, does that help at all? Oh, one more thing, I see that the right-channel sound inputs are also mono inputs.
Hex head screws and washers remind me of Sanyo. There should be a 564 on one of the labels.

zeno
08-27-2013, 11:37 AM
RCA used 1/4" with what looked like washers but they are part of
the screw. Used around the jack panel & sometimes the whole back.
Looked up the model prefix (C543) & didnt find anything on it.
C must mean Canada, Ive never seen it. If its RCA I am
sure there is a CTC### inside. Pics needed.
BTW R-mono is the norm, the L jack has a SW to tell the set to
use stereo instead of feeding the same thing to both channels.

Jon A.
09-24-2013, 10:59 PM
I just pulled this thing out from under my bench and took the back off with the limited toolage I do have. Most of the screws do have washers that aren't exactly part of the screw, they'll spin but won't go past the threads beyond the screw head. The chassis number was hidden under a thick coat of dust on a sticker on a heat sink, it's a CTC159B. Tuner on board unfortunately, I thought it was too old for that. It has two sets of A/V inputs, a hi-fi out and a "selected out" on the jack panel. CRT is an RCA HA66ADT14X01. The Sears console I just got, for reasons unknown to me, has a CRT with almost the same model number, but lacks the "H" at the beginning. The chassis in that is a CTC157C, also tuner-on-board. I hope these don't have the problems of the 177.

zeno
09-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Tuner on board is a bad way to say it. Should be "no separate tuner".
Yours is before that & has a replaceable tuner assy.
The bad ones IIRC are CTC175-176-177-186-187.
Also that vintage were 9"&13" chassii TX81 & TX82 that
really sucked to work on but gave a nice pix. Yours is a very
good set, not to say the tuner wont go..............

Reece
09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Those are "captive" washers.

Jon A.
09-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Tuner on board is a bad way to say it. Should be "no separate tuner".
Yours is before that & has a replaceable tuner assy.
The bad ones IIRC are CTC175-176-177-186-187.
Also that vintage were 9"&13" chassii TX81 & TX82 that
really sucked to work on but gave a nice pix. Yours is a very
good set, not to say the tuner wont go..............

Good to know. The entire chassis from the semi-BPC set would be a bolt-in swap for the console if I felt the need to add more input/output jacks. So the 187 is a bad one, good thing I left that BPC set where it was down the street rather than dragging it home and ratting it for parts.
Those are "captive" washers.
Never heard of that term, at least not that I can recall. Good to learn the proper terminology.

Reece
09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Captive: same as screws that are part of an assembly and won't fall out when you remove the assembly? Captive screws. Poor things. Stuck there forever.

Jon A.
09-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Captive: same as screws that are part of an assembly and won't fall out when you remove the assembly? Captive screws. Poor things. Stuck there forever.
Mom's hamster is caged up all the time and doesn't seem to mind. :D The only exception is when he's moved to an open-top plastic container for cage cleaning. Can't let that critter loose, lots of wires here to be munched on.

Dude111
09-25-2013, 05:53 PM
This one I tried out almost immediately. Getting it hooked up was a challenge though, I have a serious lack of outlets around here. Sharp picture, excellent sound, I can hear low-level sounds that I don't recall hearing on any of my other setsIndeed Beautiful isnt it??

I hope you have many wonderful years with her :)

Robb
09-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Who took that pic ? I can see a reflection of someone wearing sandals ? LoL

Jon A.
09-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Indeed Beautiful isnt it??

I hope you have many wonderful years with her :)
Indeed I will. I have a console that's almost exactly the same inside, so while I don't care for this set's cabinet, all major parts can be used if something goes seriously wrong with the console.
Who took that pic ? I can see a reflection of someone wearing sandals ? LoL
That's the girl who was unloading it.

duckland 23
09-25-2013, 09:50 PM
nice

Jon A.
09-25-2013, 10:28 PM
nice
The girl in the reflection or the TV? :D The girl looks nicer, that's for sure. Closer to what I would go for than most others.