View Full Version : Zenith Console

Console User
08-14-2013, 07:19 PM
My 1991 Zenith Console is currently in a room where it hasn't been getting used much lately. I unplug it and disconnect the antenna cable for lighting protection. I decided to plug it in today and watch it for awhile. When I turned it on it had more of a pop noise than it use to and also caused qutie a bit of sparks on the end plug in the power strip. Also, thought I could see a reflection of a flash inside the cabinet. When I turned it on it came on and looked okay except it had a crackly noise and the corners of the picture tube seemed to like spark. Does any one know what this is and what is causing it? To me it seems like it is buidling up a high electrical charge when its disconnected and not in use? Also, in the background of the picture that you are viewing there seems to be quite a bit of wavy lines in the pictrue scence.

Thank You.

radiotvnut
08-14-2013, 10:54 PM
It could be as simple as loose contacts inside the power strip. There's likely nothing wrong with the TV, as I've seen a good many TV's that shot a small spark out of the AC outlet when they were plugged in.

truetone36
08-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Look for bad caps in the power supply, that's my best guess, although your set is about 20 years newer than anything I've worked on.