View Full Version : Filters

lnx64
07-23-2013, 10:48 PM
What kind of color filter does the 20k20 chassis that my Samsung uses, have? Because all TV's from it's generation can NEVER achieve this kind of resolution.. This is my PlayStation 3 being used on this old TV, and look at the numbers on the heads up display, they are very small print, but yet SO very clear. All other TV's from this generation of TV's would have some color cross talk on text that sharp and small, like blue and red lines or something.

That's quite a picture, and did NOT even expect it to show up on camera that clearly either, and the minimal dot crawl which is almost not even existent, is quite amazing. This could almost pass as S-Video in the area where white text is displayed in the bottom area (not where the color is though).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/IMG_2660_zps563a7784.jpg~original

lnx64
07-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I guess what I'm asking is, notch filter or comb filter. I can't imagine this tv having a comb filter, it's so early of a tv. But notch filters usually aren't that sharp.

ChrisW6ATV
07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
That definitely looks like it has a comb filter. What year is the TV from? Comb filters were first available to consumers in Magnavox TV sets in 1980, and they spread to other brands (but mostly in higher-end models, especially at first) within the next few years. Sony was one of the few brands that put comb filters in some of their 13-inch sets.

Late-NTSC-era Samsung TV sets (late 1990s and newer) often had quite good pictures.

lnx64
07-25-2013, 04:16 PM
That's the thing, the year is unknown, it was never stamped with the DOB for some reason.

But I'm guessing mid 80's.. It's a 20k20 chassis.

zenith2134
08-08-2013, 06:04 PM
i had one of those sets, from 1984. I remember inserting 120volts AC into the vhf tuner to see what would happen. :) We used to destroy a lot of old tv's we found.

holmesuser01
08-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Don't try this at home.

I used to burn up TV's by connection the HV anode connector to the end of an 8' fluorescent lamp, and the other bulb connection to the chassis.

Watching the flyback smoke was such fun.

The only really old set I destroyed was an Olympic 19" with a series string chassis. It was hit by lightning, and had burns allover the tuner and IF board. No sound, no video, no nothing. It took hours to kill the thing.

That was about 35 years ago.