View Full Version : Manual for Sony Betamax SL-3030 VTR?

Phil Nelson
07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
I hauled out our venerable Sony SL-3030 Beta machine after a long hiatus and discovered that it won't accept a cassette. It is powering up, both with the front switch and the little auto-switch that engages when you insert a cassette. At the point where you expect the machine to wake up and pull in the cassette, nothing happens. I don't see anything obviously broken or hanging up in the levers & gizmos that are visible from above (without pulling out the chassis). I don't see any fuses in easy reach except for one soldered onto a board near the rear, and that one tests OK.

Any chance of getting a service manual? A quick Internet search revealed nothing at the Sony site (ha-ha) and the usual evil manual hucksters.

Thanks for any help. We are housecleaning and I want to play (at least briefly) a multitude of old tapes before disposing of them, just in case we recorded something priceless over what's scribbled on the label.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Findm-Keepm
07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't have your model, Phil, but I do have the following service manuals:

AG-300 Cassette Changer for Betamax
SL-3000 (not close, I presume, as it is a portable model, mates with HVC-1000)
SL-5400
SL-7200
SL-8200
VO-1800
VP-1000

Gimme a chance to check, and I'll see what my buddies have here locally.

Cheers,

Phil Nelson
08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks, it would be nice to get this unit working again. This is the sort of problem that makes you think it's a simple fix.

Phil Nelson