View Full Version : Toshiba 32HLC56

rlovison
07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
I picked up this model at the local transfer station a week or so ago. It was suffering from the "2 seconds to black" problem... it would power on but the backlight would power off after a about a second. I discovered a bad transformer on the inverter board (open secondary). I bought the entire insides of another unit minus the screen from an eB*y seller for $26 shipped and discovered yesterday that the inverter board was functional... I swapped the new one for the old and the monitor works perfectly. Another plus is the water that had seeped into the panel (the monitor was left outside in the rain) had all evaporated and the annoying marks disappeared. :banana:

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a database online that showed which Toshiba remotes were compatible with my unit? My model monitor is supposed to have a CT-90262 remote. They are difficult to find and usually expensive if you do find one. I purchased a CT-20259 that one website indicated was compatible with the 32HLC56. The button layout is nearly identical so I'm hoping it will work OK. Any additional info from anyone would be appreciated.

ChrisW6ATV
07-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Most brands of TVs (and other products, for that matter) use the same codes for their remote control functions over many years, if it is a big brand that makes their own equipment. If the control you ordered was made within a year or two of the original and is for a similar style of TV, it will probably work fine. The worst issue is usually specific buttons for special features.

rlovison
07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your input. Here are pictures of the two remotes:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=179292&d=1373503603

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=179293&d=1373503603

The button layout is almost identical though two buttons to the left of the volume control are labeled differently and there is an extra row of buttons above the "mode select". I'll find out in a couple of days if it will work correctly and I'll post the results.

BTW, do you really have a working CT-100 as indicated in your avatar?

rlovison
07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
The CT-90259 remote works fine as a replacement for a CT-90262 in case anyone else is looking for a remote for a Toshiba 32HLC56 monitor. All the important buttons work. The only one I found so far that doesn't is the "pic mode" button which is labeled "THINC" on the CT-90259. You have to bring up the menu to change the picture mode (sports, standard, movie, preference). The most important feature is the "Pic Size" (wide, theater, etc) that as far as I can tell, you can't change unless you have the remote.

ChrisW6ATV
07-14-2013, 05:20 PM
BTW, do you really have a working CT-100 as indicated in your avatar?
I do indeed. Here is the discussion of the restoration process:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251275

It is good to hear that your replacement control works with the Toshiba set fine.

Jeffhs
07-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Another remote that seems to work with many if not most HDTVs is the General Electric unit sold by Jasco Products (www.jascoproducts.com). I use one of these remotes with my Insignia flat screen and other devices in my video setup, and it works very well. Doesn't control all functions of the set like zoom, favorite channel list, etc. (I must use the TV's original remote for these), but it does operate all basic functions (volume +/-, channel +/-, mute and, of course, power on/off) and is also usable with up to three other devices, plus a user-programmable "aux" button (I use mine with the TV, my old Panasonic PV-4002 VCR, and my LG Blu-ray player).

I don't know, however, if the Jasco/GE remote would operate as well with your Toshiba TV, but if the set is listed in the remote code table at the back of the instruction book (or on a separate sheet) it should operate at least the basic functions of the TV, as I mentioned. The latest versions of the Jasco/GE remote are said to be "compatible with today's technology", as stated on the packaging, which I think would include all late-model flat screen televisions, DVRs and DVD/Blu-ray players. Note: The "DVR" button on the Jasco/GE remote, while primarily intended for use with a DVR, is also programmable for most late-model VCRs made between roughly 1999 and the end of the standalone VCR era. It will operate most functions of these VCRs and late-model DVD players; however, as with the television, for access to functions of your VCR or DVD which the Jasco/GE remote does not support, the original remote must be used.