View Full Version : CRT Computer Monitors..Anyone still use them ?

Robb
07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Anyone here still using CRT Computer monitors ?
Ive been a CRT fan forever and cannot make the switch to LCD !

Recently I bought a Sony FW900 Monitor for $50 bucks locally.
I see on ebay these things sell for $500-$1000 !
If no one knows, this is a 24" 16:10 CRT flat panel Monitor.
Supposedly, it sold for $3500 new. Last made in 2004. Made in Japan.
It weighed 92 lb !
The picture quality was out of this world !

Heres a thread I found on it with all info/specs .
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

That monitor lasted 2 years then when up in smoke 1 day when I turned it on.
It was a short in the tube that was not repairable. I sold it to someone locally for parts.

Heres a pic of it

http://s22.postimg.org/uoi7yik81/dsc01578r.jpg

I am now using probably just as good a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor.
It has an amazing picture and I got it for cheap ! I also got a free one just for backup. :)
I have both the white and black casings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/crt-monitors/nec-multisync-fe2111sb-bk/4505-3175_7-20283601.html

Electronic M
07-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Still have one, but as a spare. It's kind of bulky for it's screen size and was buried in storage when my folks finally realized they could have bought a new computer with the money they were spending at Kinkos(at which point they bought their first NEW computer ever) to access the internet after the crappy Windows 98 Dell that was connected to the CRT monitor refused to access the internet anymore.

SkyLlama
07-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Only on my old computers like my Tandy's and Apple IIGS where I don't have a choice. For my desktops being able to do this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/2684471741_6448508b4e.jpg) is important.

Also it's way to much power for a dual monitor set up with CRT's when they'll be left on most of the time.

That Sony looks nice though.

Jon A.
07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Only on my old computers like my Tandy's and Apple IIGS where I don't have a choice. For my desktops being able to do this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/2684471741_6448508b4e.jpg) is important.

You ought to be able to use a regular PC monitor with the IIgs at least by using a scan doubler. It's the 15.75 KHz horizontal sync signal put out by the gs that makes a regular PC monitor unusable under normal circumstances.

Whoa, it's been a while since I saw a screen like that. Reminds me of the time I received a hand-down Macintosh IIci and a friend and I were trying to figure out what the mystery video card was for, as the computer had on-board video and this card wouldn't drive the monitor. Turns out it was for some oddball monochrome vertical-screen Mac monitor.

I'm using a ViewSonic UltraBrite A71f+. Bought new in 2005, taken out of service for a while when I decided to retire the Power Mac G3 that was too weak for my needs, put back in service when I got the late-model G4 in 2009 that I currently use, has been running for most of that time since. It has screen burn from my browser toolbar, and shows fine lines at the bottom of the screen as it's warming up, but hasn't missed a beat. A little while back I picked up a free ViewSonic PerfectFlat A70f to keep around as a spare. It remains untested.

Kamakiri
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I use this old Dell 17" every day. I had a nice Hitachi ProScan 21" that I used until it died. I think my ex-in-laws paid about $400 for it.

My desk is a huge Kimball desk (as in the piano maker), so the added depth doesn't bother me in the least.

Jeffhs
07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I use an HP S2031 flat screen monitor with my Windows XP computer, but I still have an HP MX70 CRT monitor that I used with my Windows 98 system. The MX70 still works, but I think the degausser is shot as it "re-gausses" the CRT every time I turn the monitor on. The raster has a bend in it I can't get rid of and probably won't until I go in and unplug the degausser from the monitor's main board. Other than that, the MX70 still works very well. It remains in storage until or unless my flat screen monitor quits, and even if it does, it has a four-year warranty so I don't see the MX-70 replacing it any time soon, except as a backup to the flat monitor.

electroking
07-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Running an Optiquest Q95, purchased new in 2004 as part of a PC system.
Computer fell to the ground and died this past January, but the monitor is now
being used with a Mac Mini. Also have several spare CRT monitors picked on
the sidewalk over the years.

Chip Chester
07-02-2013, 02:24 PM
That oddball Macintosh vertical monitor may have been a Radius Pivot. Heavy, bulky, but nice. The only CRT monitor I've kept is a really nice 9" Sony CGA monitor. Selection criteria was: it looked nice from the front and from the back. I kid you not.

Chip

Jon A.
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
That oddball Macintosh vertical monitor may have been a Radius Pivot. Heavy, bulky, but nice.

Yes, that sounds right, it's been a while since I heard the name. I saw one in a thrift shop years later.

Mad-Mike
07-04-2013, 05:38 PM
My only CRT monitors are actual TV sets - a Sony something-or-other-made-in-the-last-10-years, and a 84' Mitsubishi CS1984R that's in my "shop" until I have time to finish working on it. I use them with the Tandy 1000 and a 2005 Dell Dimension 5100 that has a composite video card.

Electronic M
07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I just remembered that my 'VCR computer' (an XP era HP mother board that I found at the curb in a roached cabinet and installed in a gutted Zenith VCR) is being ran on 'CRT monitors'. I put vista on it and am using the S-video out to feed my vintage TV sets internet and non-DVD format digtal recordings.
Though lately the USB buses have been balking at most things I connect to them including my USB WiFi adapter so it has not seen use in a while...

CoogarXR
07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I bought an NEC Multisync FE950+ 19" Flat tube back in 2001 or so. I paid like $400 for it back when I had a real job. It's sitting in the closet because I run dual 23" LED monitors now. I will probably keep that 19 forever just on principle. I refuse to sell it for $20 (which is about all I could probably get for it). I thought about using it to make a mame arcade cabinet. I still have my 9" VGA color cash register monitor too just because it's neat-o.

Dude111
07-10-2013, 03:58 AM
I use this old Dell 17" every day.Very nice!!

I have a 16" RELISYS (My Commodore 64 Monitor is 12" i think im not sure)

EDIT:

This says its 13" (Its not the same model of my monitor but the size is the same...i cant seem to find the one I have (Which i think is an ORIGINAL COMMODORE 64 MONITOR))

www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/monitor/item/1802/en

EDIT2:

Now im confused!!

I just looked @ the back of my monitor and it IS an 1802 (Like the one listed above) BUT MINE ONLY SAYS "COMMODORE" on the front (Not Commodore 1802) -- Very strange!

EDIT3:

I guess mine is revision T in the 1802 series...

www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/monitors/1802t.gif

Jon A.
07-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Very nice!!

I have a 16" RELISYS (My Commodore 64 Monitor is 12" i think im not sure)

EDIT:

This says its 13" (Its not the same model of my monitor but the size is the same...i cant seem to find the one I have (Which i think is an ORIGINAL COMMODORE 64 MONITOR))

It depends on which version of the 64 you're talking about. I believe that the 1701, almost identical to the 1702, was the original monitor for the original 64, and the 1802 the original monitor for the 64C (white case).

ChrisW6ATV
07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
My monitor at work is still a CRT. But, the computer there is running Windows 2000, too.

AiboPet
07-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I recently lost an old NEC "Multisync" monitor I had for like 15 years. I really miss that thing. It had such beautiful contrast and geometry. I remember when I brought that home from Computer City (long gone now), and paid like $850 for it.

My old 486DLC just doesn't look the same on some 17" ACER LCD I replaced it with (was cheap....and I wanted to run that old 486 again to play "The 7th Guest")

The NEC was a loss.....The smoke was so bad I didn't even bother opening it up. I had to just get it OUT of the house at the time :(

Jon A.
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Dang, and those work with older computers that put out a 15.75 KHz horizontal sync signal too, eliminating the need for a costly scan doubler.

radiotron
07-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Anyone here still using CRT Computer monitors ?
Ive been a CRT fan forever and cannot make the switch to LCD !

Recently I bought a Sony FW900 Monitor for $50 bucks locally.
I see on ebay these things sell for $500-$1000 !
If no one knows, this is a 24" 16:10 CRT flat panel Monitor.
Supposedly, it sold for $3500 new. Last made in 2004. Made in Japan.
It weighed 92 lb !
The picture quality was out of this world !

Heres a thread I found on it with all info/specs .
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

That monitor lasted 2 years then when up in smoke 1 day when I turned it on.
It was a short in the tube that was not repairable. I sold it to someone locally for parts.

Heres a pic of it

http://s22.postimg.org/uoi7yik81/dsc01578r.jpg

I am now using probably just as good a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor.
It has an amazing picture and I got it for cheap ! I also got a free one just for backup. :)
I have both the white and black casings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/crt-monitors/nec-multisync-fe2111sb-bk/4505-3175_7-20283601.html

I do!
I still use the whole commodore 64 setup 1702 monitor commodore 64
1541 floppy drive and casseste recorder

Jon A.
07-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Good for you Johnny. :) I assume that you're speaking of the tan-colored C64, which was my first computer. Heck, it was the first computer of just about everyone my age. I didn't have the monitor though, or the cassette drive. Also, I had to rock the power switch up and down a couple of times quickly to get the darn thing to come on. Bought it at a yard sale about 20 years ago, total snow job. I wasn't told anything of the problem with it. The guy probably thought it was totally dead. Also with it was a LOT of floppy disks, and a Commodore 1525 printer that was as slow as cold molasses and the ribbons were no longer available.

kramden66
08-09-2013, 01:15 AM
a 20" NEC and at work a 13" compaq , i'm still surrounded by crts.

Jeffhs
08-09-2013, 02:07 AM
I had the tan C64 too (with cassette data recorder and 1541 disk drive, plus an MPS803 printer), back in the '80s; it was my first digital computer system. It is long gone now, as I got rid of it when I moved here in 1999 (no room in my apartment for two computers, as I had purchased a Windows 98 system when I moved here). I also used the C64 with an amateur radio packet modem from about 1989 until '99. I can't say I miss that system (my present Windows XP computer runs rings around it), as it had very little memory space (64k) and was slower than molasses in June, by today's standards, with a processor that ran well under 100 MHz; in fact, I think the C64's processor speed was in the single digits. But what could one expect from a system like this in the '80s, when home computers were still relatively new?

lnx64
08-11-2013, 12:38 PM
1mhz. ;)

mbates14
12-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I still have an NEC AccuSync 75F. But it seems I am going to have to retire it. I use LCD as my main monitor, but I use the Accusync on my secondary macintosh workstation which is a G4.

But its got so many hours on it, the caps are going. and there are hundreds if not thousands of them in that thing. Shame too because it still has an excellent picture. Aside from that, I got a 15" Trinitron kicking around here somewhere I had since new in the 90s. Dunno where it is though. its yellowed beyond cigarette tar as it was in a room that had constant sunlight and fluorescent fixtures.

Then I have a 12", or maybe a 13" trinitron thats on my old PPC workstation.

walterbeers
12-07-2013, 01:28 PM
For my main computer I use a new flat screen, however I still use the CRT monitors when I work on someones computer, doing upgrades, etc. The only reason I use the flat screen is that it gives me a lot more space on my desk. CRT monitors have a good picture and image, their just bulky. Where I work, they still use a CRT TV set with a camera to monitor the drive thru lane. CRTs are not dead, people just think they have to have the newest technology, thanks to all the advertising hype.

mbates14
12-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Thats the bad thing with CRT monitors. they do take up ALOT of space, and are very heavy.

I like LCDs because they are small, BUT they are easy on my eyes. I am weird in the fact that I can see flickering much easier than the average person can. Even at 70hz the flickering bothers me. Once I got into LCDs, that went away. Although older LCDs I can see the flickering a tiny bit. I avoid the super high speed LCDs, such as 2ms and faster response times as I can see the flicker unless its a 120hz setup.

But staring into that flickering CRTs over the many years I have, its actually ruined my vision to the point if i look at monitor more than an hour, my vision gets blurry and out of wack for most of the day, even when I do take breaks and do something else. Basically, diagnosed with CVS, that I have to get special glasses for. Something I have not done yet.

centralradio
02-17-2015, 11:50 PM
If it works .Why bother dumping it.I still use them today.Those old Commodore monitors made great VCR video monitors.

centralradio
01-12-2016, 12:10 PM
I was in Dick's Sporting Goods at the mall over the holidays and they had CRT monitor displays everywhere playing adverts and store specials. It was nice to see them there.I did notice they were using flat screen monitors for security in the store.

Dude111
01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Wow thats nice..... In the mall where I live they only have stupid flat screen crap showing stuff...

markdi
01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
I have a low hours sony hmd a440 that. I am going to recycle soon
I got it
soon. after lost. my house. then it sat in.storage for years

Jeffhs
01-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Even though my C64 system is long gone (see my post on it earlier in this thread), I still have a Hewlett-Packard MX-70 CRT monitor sitting in my bedroom, unused. The monitor works, but the raster with no signal input has a bend in it, probably, even likely, due to failing capacitors. My main computer system (which I am writing this on) has an HP S-2031 20" flat-panel monitor, and the images on it look much, much better than even my MX-70 when the latter was new.

I still have my Win98 computer (IBM Aptiva), but it is stashed in my bedroom closet, unused and with nothing but the Windows 98 OS on the hard drive (I wiped it several months ago). Don't know why I'm keeping it, although it, like the MX-70 monitor, still works. Probably for sentimental reasons. By contrast to today's computer systems, which can be had for as little as $200, my IBM Aptiva system, not including the monitor and printer, cost me well over $1K when I bought it in late 1999. It came with a cheap CRT monitor that lasted me only about a year or so, then it quit; I replaced it with the HP MX-70.

I would not even think of using my old IBM Aptiva on today's Internet; that computer is much too slow (133 MHz processor speed, compared to my current PowerSpec box with its 2.23 GHz processor and just under 1 GB of RAM--that system can and will run rings around the IBM any ol' day in the year).

Note: PowerSpec is a house brand for PCs sold by MicroCenter, Columbus, Ohio.

Titan1a
01-12-2016, 08:24 PM
I have three crt monitors. Until I can get an adapter, it's the only way to use my Amiga A4000 video toaster.

MIPS
01-12-2016, 08:43 PM
I keep a shed filled with CRT monitors and displays for my systems. LCD panels are lighter but sometimes it doesn't feel the same. There's also three or four machines I own where their light pens require a CRT to operate at all.
I did run dual 21" Trinitron monitors on my desktop until 2013 when I moved and my new desk pretty much forced me to use wallmount LCD panels. I'd love to go back and use something like FW900 monitors but aside from only having one of those they are famous for their flybacks giving out.

Olorin67
01-12-2016, 11:42 PM
i have few kicking around, for use with an Apple iie, a commodore 64, and a monitor with the higher res mode for my Amiga 1200, which recently had a hard drive failure. That one was in occasional use until last year.
I do have extra Commodore 1702 monitors if someone is interested in one. They are pretty sharp for 13" color composite video, much better picture than most 13" color TVs.

Dude111
07-22-2019, 10:06 PM
My relisys CRT monitor started making popping sounds tonight and the display refreshes (Like if you click that magnet thing on the util menu)

I hope its nothing serious....Im goinna try and find a new one of the same kind!!!

I hope its just a loose cable or something,I dont know.............

crt89
07-24-2019, 08:05 PM
I was using one up until I got my current computer in 2012. We also had one on our Macintosh Performa we still used for games until we got rid of it around 2014. I wish we still had it though. Those seem to have gotten where they have quite a bit of monetary value now too.

mr_rye89
07-25-2019, 07:53 PM
I run a LaCie Electron Blue 22 IV with my modern desktop and 386. It has an NEC/Mitsubishi Diamondtron Aperture grille CRT in it. scans at 1600x1200 @ 85Hz. I'm not replacing it until OLED is cheap. I would love to find another one! Excuse the mess on my desk :nono:

Dude111
07-26-2019, 01:20 AM
No mess,it looks quite neat actually :)

I like the colours............ Im gonna get my monitor repaired once I get another one.... These are getting hard to get and I dont wanna lose it........

Mad-Mike
08-27-2020, 11:31 AM
I have 2 I use with my vintage computers....

1988 NEC MultiSync II JC-1402HWA 14" CRT - I got this for free in 2017 from Computer Surplus in Redmond and had to bodge-wire the input board together (Cracked). Other than that it needs a retrobright job, but otherwise the picture is AMAZING for an almost 40 year old CRT monitor thanks to my tuning.

Micron 14" CRT SVGA w/ Digital Controls - A little dim, brought it up with a tiny voltage boost. This one is the one I use more often because I want to preserve the NEC as that's my favorite due to aesthetic and my connection from fixing it.

lnx64
08-27-2020, 12:02 PM
My CRT monitor is built into the computer. ;) https://i.imgur.com/XkuWBJz.jpg

Jeffhs
08-27-2020, 02:25 PM
I have an old 17-inch (approximate)HP CRT computer monitor gathering dust in my bedroom. It works, but the raster no longer fills the screen and I'm thinking at least one filter capacitor may have gone bad in the power supply, since the raster also seems to have a bend in it, not unlike what happens in old TVs when 60Hz hum gets into the video. I no longer use the monitor for that reason and because I now have an HP flat panel monitor in my computer system (Dell Optiplex 755, HP-832C printer). I am half thinking of discarding the old HP monitor since I have no use for it any longer, such as it is and because it is just sitting on an old desk in my bedroom taking up space.