View Full Version : Transformer AC doubler question

VintagePC
06-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Just something odd I was curious about and thought someone here would know for sure.

Can one make an AC voltage doubler using only a center tapped transformer? It seems logical that it would work if connected like an autotransformer with no secondary - e.g. 120V AC to center tap and one leg, then getting 240v AC from one leg to the remaining leg.

Are there any problems with this method? I've been searching online and have found very little, perhaps because I'm using the wrong keywords, or because there's a reason this isn't done?

Does that still follow the standard inverse power calculation for a transformer (2x voltage = 1/2x current) or is it different because there's no secondary in use and the full current going in comes out?

I realize there's probably a simple answer but I've been wondering about this for so long that I'm starting to overthink it. :/

dtvmcdonald
06-14-2013, 09:40 AM
The answers are yes and yes.

earlyfilm
06-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Are there any problems with this method?

Works fine, as long as you you stay within the voltage and current ratings of the transformer.

The problem is the current ratings were probably not determined for this off-spec use, so verify that the transformer stays at a reasonable temperature.

James

VintagePC
06-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Works fine, as long as you you stay within the voltage and current ratings of the transformer.

The problem is the current ratings were probably not determined for this off-spec use, so verify that the transformer stays at a reasonable temperature.

James

Thanks for all the input.

The final application wouldn't draw much current at all, and I have a fairly bulky 2-3A transformer I intend to use.