View Full Version : Dick Klug TV repair at 15 years old

ohohyodafarted
06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Dick Klug, good friend and scuba diving buddy of mine, sent me a photo of himself back in the day when he was 15. Thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing this photo.

Here is what Dick has to say about the photo:

I worked at Advance TV in 1957 & 1958. I started on weekends and eventually quit my paper route to work there after school. It was at 5815 west Capitol Drive. ( pic was taken behind the shop) Advance TV was owned by two twins that lived next door to us on 41st and Capital. (Wally and Henry Werner). A third owner who was like a dad to my brother and I was Ben Lodwick. I worked putting up antennas, helping on service calls, cleaning the shop and working on the sets that came into the shop, Mostly testing tubes,cleaning the tuner strips and some chassis work. The crepe sole shoes I wore for roof climbing don't show on the pic.

Boobtubeman
06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Hehehe my dad had one of those GMC panel trucks...

SR

wa2ise
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Years ago I heard horror stories of antenna installations. Not the falling of the roof type, but legal issues. Story was that someone renting a house has an antenna installed on the chimney. This in the early 50's, when TV was a new thing. Landlord freaks, thinking it's likely to damage the house. Sues the renter and the installation company. Installer probably assumed he was dealing with the house owner. Don't know the results of this...

Ed in Tx
06-13-2013, 06:29 PM
The TV shop that was in the shopping center 4 blocks from the house I grew up in the '50s-'60s, Culberson TV in Northlake Shopping Center for any old Dallas folks, still exists today (the old location long gone) as the two sons doing TV-antenna installation and maintenance work. Still a market for it.

kvflyer
06-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Years ago I heard horror stories of antenna installations. Not the falling of the roof type, but legal issues. Story was that someone renting a house has an antenna installed on the chimney. This in the early 50's, when TV was a new thing. Landlord freaks, thinking it's likely to damage the house. Sues the renter and the installation company. Installer probably assumed he was dealing with the house owner. Don't know the results of this...

I worked for 31 years with the telephone company. Same issues. Renters get wires installed, holes drilled and the landlord goes ballistic. Often we didn't know that our customer was not the owner. Glad to not have to deal with it now...

Reece
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Not the same thing exactly, but years ago my uncle built a new house. Had the phone company out to install a new wall phone in the kitchen. Then a couple days later uncle went to close the sliding door that went from the kitchen into the hallway and the door wouldn't move. You guessed it: tech had drilled right into the closed pocket door to run his wire. Phone company paid to fix the problem and give him a new door.

DavGoodlin
06-14-2013, 10:22 AM
The TV shop that was in the shopping center 4 blocks from the house I grew up in the '50s-'60s, Culberson TV in Northlake Shopping Center for any old Dallas folks, still exists today (the old location long gone) as the two sons doing TV-antenna installation and maintenance work. Still a market for it.

The two "TV businesses" I am aware of yet do the same thing to stay in business, they are "DirecTV" or "Dish" dealers also.