View Full Version : Picked up a little Motorola 10"

Eric H
05-27-2013, 05:58 PM
I saw this set (http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258019) about a month ago at an Antique Mall, they wanted $90 for it and I didn't know if the CRT was good.

Today I went back and checked the CRT and it was in decent shape, it was also 20% off day so I got it for $71 + tax, I figure the 10BP4 CRT is worth that if nothing else.

The field coil speaker is missing and someone fabricated a new speaker board and grille cloth, neither of those would be particularly hard to correct, it's also missing the two red knobs with the Motorola squiggle on them. Other issues include a drooping CRT mask and no back.

It's a cute and tiny set, about the size of the Admiral Bakelite Consoles.
It's obviously on the low end of the quality scale though, it's very light and I can carry it by myself easily.

I don't know the model number either, possibly a 10VK12, the TV History Site just calls it a TS-14 which is actually the chassis number.http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Motorola-TS14.JPG

stromberg6
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
To me that seems like a nice deal. I like smaller BW sets, and that Motorola might be rare. Hope all the esoteric parts are OK, and if so, it should be a good project. All the best! :yes:
Kevin

kramden66
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
no power transformer it uses selenium rectifiers , they do have a nice picture when restored , the one i had with a mask like that was power transformer , more square cabinet , and more then two knobs across the front

mike

Zenith26kc20
05-28-2013, 12:15 PM
I have the table version of that and it is a great little set. Very reliable once up and running!

Eric H
05-28-2013, 04:22 PM
There's a transformer on top of the chassis but I suspect it's just a Choke.
This set's really light, probably the lightest 10" set I've seen (or lifted).

The power transformer out of a 630TS probably weighs as much as this set. (maybe a slight exaggeration but not much)

bandersen
05-28-2013, 06:00 PM
It's actually a filament transformer while the B+ is derived from the selenium voltage doubler. The speaker field coil was used for the B+ filtering.

RDusel
06-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Eric,
I have that same set restored and it plays great. Mine has a set of diodes installed for the B+ doubler instead of seleniums so there may have been a factory mod at one time. They look original.
I'm amazed that the HV transformer, rectifier and tuner are all under the chassis without shielding and nothing interferes.
I also scrapped a set of the same model due to a trashed cabinet. Have the knobs if you need them, just drop me a PM for them or anything else.
Take care and enjoy!

Eric H
06-04-2013, 12:40 AM
I also scrapped a set of the same model due to a trashed cabinet. Have the knobs if you need them, just drop me a PM for them or anything else.
Take care and enjoy!

P.M. sent, thank you!