View Full Version : Disarming CRT

Dynacoman
10-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I know this has been covered before but with the new server I didn't get any results.
What is the safest way to kill the vacuum in a CRT.

Thanks
Jim

dewickt
10-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Use ice pick (sharp pointed inst) and pierce the soft iron bottom of the high voltage anode, safest way, worked for Philips Consumer Electronics for 12 years and this was the only approved way of airing a CRT.

andy
10-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I normally just break of the exhaust tip with a pair of wire cutters.

dewickt
10-23-2004, 05:18 PM
We didn't want any glass particles, clip the tip and glass will fly, you had better have safety glasses on when you do it. The rules for safety are why we punctured the anode, had a guy in a prototype lab who used to air tubes by kicking the neck, that is till he took a bad shot at one and sliced his leg open, after that they used to call me to the lab with my ice pick.

Carmine
10-24-2004, 02:23 AM
Hammering anywhere near the CRT sounds a bit scary to me. I usually place the CRT in a cardboard box large enough to enclose everything but the very end of the CRT, and fold the box flaps around the neck. Then I snip/break the exhaust tip.

That's the way my uncle Art (Margolis) taught me.

gyusher
10-24-2004, 03:22 AM
The safest way if you have not done this before is to have an experienced person do it for you.

heathkit tv
10-24-2004, 11:50 AM
You guys are a bunch of pantswetters.....I just strip down to my skivvies, grease up (to catch and glass shards), grab the tube under one arm (like a stranglehold) and body slam it to the ground like a wrestler.

BOOM!

Usually makes me bounce up about a foot or so! Great fun!

And if you thought that I was serious for even a second and decide to actually do that, then you deserve what happens! LOL

Anthony

Sandy G
10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
I bet it would be jolly fun to sling one in a trebuchet-as long as you weren't on the receiving end. I have put numerous old TVs outta their misery using everything from rocks (not recommended) to 7.62 NATO rounds (loud, but effective). 22LRs aren't recommended, as sometimes they ricochet, which is another problem in itself. A hot .38 special hollowpoint will do the trick, too. Just be sure & clean up the mess you make.-Sandy G.

reyneman
10-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Ah yes..

I have fond memories of going to the sanitary land fill (we, of course, called it a dump) to shoot rats and other critters.

Finding intact CRTs was a great bonus :thmbsp:

Lefty
10-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Ah yes..

I have fond memories of going to the sanitary land fill (we, of course, called it a dump) to shoot rats and other critters.

Finding intact CRTs was a great bonus :thmbsp:

Oh yea, dump memories are great. I recall if you were close enough to the CRT when you tossed a rock at the face you could feel the air pressure change in your chest :banana:

Many such fun activites as a youth are now considered brain dead type conduct but we sure had our fun didn't we!... :thmbsp:

Come to think of it, seems I've heard the spirit is still alive in some youths using home video shots then submitted to TV shows?

Oh well PC and OSHA has probably won over the majority about such activities. I'm glad I grew up in a period where I guy sometimes just had to do what a guy has to do. We never heard about the Darwin award :D

Lefty

Sandy G
10-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Oh, yeah ! It was a big fun big treat to get yr dad to take you & yr trusty .22 & a couple boxes of shells to the local Dump...around here, the city fathers didn't mind if you let 'em know you were gonna do it-they didn't mind how many rats or other critters you dispatched. Lotsa fun just pokin' around in the dump-sometimes Dad would actually let you bring home a treasure or 2 you found...Mama didn't much care for it, though.Now, IF they'd let you do that, you'd prolly have to fill out 17 reams of forms, take hazmat training...Another one of life's little pleasures gone. I fooled around the local dump umpteen times when I was a kid, never got so much as a skint knee.-Sandy G.

heathkit tv
10-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Newsflash Reuter Wire

For immediate release:
O.S.H.A.
Washington D.C.

In response to a dangerous lunatic fringe which has been imploding old television picture tubes, this agency has now entered into a reciprocal agreement with NASA in which all retired picture tubes will be transported into a low orbit and will there have their seals violated.

It has been determined that while this program may be expensive, it will be cheaper than the overall economic impact upon the country from loss of work due to possible injuries resulting from the average citizen attempting this under uncontrolled conditions. Besides, it gives Haliburton something to do in case Kerry gets elected.

Sandy G
11-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Well, Jim, how DID you finally disarm yr CRT? Lotsa good & not-so-good suggestions here. But you COULDA had a lot of mean, nasty fun !! -Sandy G.

Dynacoman
11-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Well. along the lines of the great suggestions here. I was going to lob a hand granade at it but local law enforcement advised against it. So I'm thinking since this is a console I would cut a small hole in the tube extension on the back panel large enough to swing a ball peen hammer. I would think this would keep imploding parts inside the cabinet. What do youse thinks?

Jim

Carmine
11-04-2004, 06:25 PM
I would assume you don't care about the set, as you risk having the fairly heavy yoke come crashing down onto the chassis.....

:scratch2:

You're making an aquarium aren't you! :yikes:

dewickt
11-04-2004, 10:19 PM
A CRT will not work as an aquarium too much lead in the glass that will leach out into the water and kill the fish. This is from a true story, I worked in the CRT/yoke approvals for Philips Magnavox for 12 years, the guys at the CRT plant made up a CRT with no shadow mask or magnetic shield, just clean glass with a big opening where the anode would go. They put it into a demo console complete with goldfish and all the works - week later the fish died, tried again and a week later the fish died, had the water checked, very high lead content - opps, all modern CRT's use high lead glass to stop the possibility of X-Rays, also good for lead contamination at the local land fill.......