View Full Version : curtis mathis roundie saved from fishtanker

snelson903
05-18-2013, 10:26 PM
i was checking craigslist this morning like i do everyday, for any new listing for tv's, and found another roundie / console ,called the lady and she said it was for fifty bucks ,she also said another lady called her wanted her to measure it where the picture tube is because she to remove the tv part and put a fishtank or a flat screen tv .the drive was about 2 hours one way, so the race was on to get there before the other lady got there. i won !!

zenithfan1
05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Awesome! I'm glad another fishtanker got thwarted:)That's a good save man! :D :beer:

snelson903
05-18-2013, 10:29 PM
iv been bring the crt back to life i hope it makes it, i remove one short allready, ill see more tomorrow.

snelson903
05-18-2013, 10:32 PM
its in vary nice shape to ,no scratchs i would have hated to see it cut up for a fishtank

zenithfan1
05-18-2013, 10:35 PM
You need a sencore CR 70, you can borrow mine if you want. I'll pay shipping one way if you do the other way. It's much safer for the tube than what you are using....

snelson903
05-19-2013, 06:06 AM
You need a sencore CR 70, you can borrow mine if you want. I'll pay shipping one way if you do the other way. It's much safer for the tube than what you are using....

i might take you up on that ,i always wanted a cr70 ,i have had that 467 since 1978 .only thing i would concern me is the shipping getting lost or damaged , i am looking for though a metal roundie bezzel and some male and female crt pin connectors for roundie type i want to make a extension cable for crt, and make a test rig ,it would be cool to have it all layed out on a table when repairing chassies and set up.

compucat
05-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Beautiful set with high fidelity radio and record player. It looks like it takes up no more room than a standard console TV. Is it stereo? I can't tell if it a two speaker setup. The cabinet style is nice and it looks like real wood. Definitely worth restoring. I wish Zenith made a compact roundie combo like that.

snelson903
05-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Beautiful set with high fidelity radio and record player. It looks like it takes up no more room than a standard console TV. Is it stereo? I can't tell if it a two speaker setup. The cabinet style is nice and it looks like real wood. Definitely worth restoring. I wish Zenith made a compact roundie combo like that.

there are nice speaker grills on each sides ,the radio plays good and it all still c.m. tubes in it.

Sandy G
05-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Awrite !! Ya done GREAT ! GREAT Save !

hi_volt
05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Wow, that's a really nice set. The grille cloth looks perfect in the pictures. Glad you were able to save it from the cannibals.

KentTeffeteller
05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
A nice score. Even nicer score, a Roundie Color Combo set. And a Curtis Mathes, an uncommon sight in many areas. Excellent job of thwarting the Fishtanker. Beautiful set.

bgk283
05-19-2013, 10:35 AM
that is a really nice set, I think Charlie has one like that, very cool.

snelson903
05-19-2013, 12:15 PM
i was glad she let it go for 50.00, even my wife helped me get it out of the ladys house ,im trying to get my wife into tv collecting with me ,after 3 this month though i dont want to push it lol.

StellarTV
05-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Score!! The mask looks exactly like a 61 RCA CTC11 I used to have.

oldtvman
05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
I had a CM entertainment center I ended up parting it out. CM sure cheapens up their sets just like Emerson did. Using a plastic crt bezel instead of metal I'm sure both sets were made by the same company.

Charlie
05-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Man that's awesome! You'll like that set! I have the same one. Mine had a weak green gun when I got it (been about 10 yrs ago), and I had the CRT rebuilt.

The chassis in thre is a mix between the CTC15 and CTC16... pretty easy to work with. The Curtis Mathes number is C20. Your biggest challenge will be all the electrolytics... whether you want to restuff the originals, or tuck replacements everywhere. Of course, like any other RCA or clone of the time, check the flyback current... especially if it has a wax covered winding. If it has a rubber tire in there, it's been replaced already... but still good to check anyway. If I remember correctly, the Fly is a CTC15 replacement.

THis set employs an instant on feature. It would be in your best interest to bypass this.

Since I was running my VCR thru the tape inputs of the stereo amp, it allowed for STEREO sound while watching tv or DVDs.... helluva difference from the mono sound of using the "TV" function on the selector.

Below are a couple of screen shots from my CM after re-capping.

Eric H
05-19-2013, 03:22 PM
That looks just like the C-M set my neighbors had when I was a teen (mid 70's)
My Sister and I would go over there (she was dating their son, still married today) and we would watch The Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Charlies Angels on it.

At that point it was a "Den" set, the newer set was in the master bedroom.
It had a great picture but the horizontal would flop over now and then requiring one of us to get up and reset it.

snelson903
05-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Man that's awesome! You'll like that set! I have the same one. Mine had a weak green gun when I got it (been about 10 yrs ago), and I had the CRT rebuilt.

The chassis in thre is a mix between the CTC15 and CTC16... pretty easy to work with. The Curtis Mathes number is C20. Your biggest challenge will be all the electrolytics... whether you want to restuff the originals, or tuck replacements everywhere. Of course, like any other RCA or clone of the time, check the flyback current... especially if it has a wax covered winding. If it has a rubber tire in there, it's been replaced already... but still good to check anyway. If I remember correctly, the Fly is a CTC15 replacement.

THis set employs an instant on feature. It would be in your best interest to bypass this.

Since I was running my VCR thru the tape inputs of the stereo amp, it allowed for STEREO sound while watching tv or DVDs.... helluva difference from the mono sound of using the "TV" function on the selector.

Below are a couple of screen shots from my CM after re-capping.

well after trying to remove the last short ,i lost one of the guns heater just about 2 hrs ago ,oh well i didnt think that crt was going to make it, this set must have been used alot everything has got the i left the tv on after the late show was over look. lol i have a few good strong roundies on hand so its no problem but like to have this crt rebuilt if there going to start rebuilding them at museum.

snelson903
05-19-2013, 04:24 PM
That looks just like the C-M set my neighbors had when I was a teen (mid 70's)
My Sister and I would go over there (she was dating their son, still married today) and we would watch The Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Charlies Angels on it.

At that point it was a "Den" set, the newer set was in the master bedroom.
It had a great picture but the horizontal would flop over now and then requiring one of us to get up and reset it.

this one was up at a lake house in mich. and they just got finished redoing the hardwood floors , and the lady had it in a back room most of the time i have my 26 yr old 6'5" son with me to move big tv's, being it was a hury up and get this set it was just me and my wife ,we inch it out on four flat skid pads around corners down steps trying to not to scratch her new floors ,it was the only thing left in the house .im so glad i just finished putting my lift gate on my truck ,what a nice thing to have for moving tv's.

tvcollector
05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I so love that layout.. And glad it was saved.. I would love to have a set like this, without the combo radio/phono etc..

Charlie
05-19-2013, 11:08 PM
That "instant on" feature is hard on CRT's over time. Sure, the set comes on in less than five seconds, but keeping those heaters partially lit over all those years will take it's toll on the tube.

So, you're saying you lost the heaters on one of the guns??

...we would watch The Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Charlies Angels on it.

Man! Steve Austin & Jamie Summers!! I can hear the "bionic" sound in my mind as he's running! That sound was sooo cool, and likely one of the best known sound effects even still today! :thmbsp:

snelson903
05-20-2013, 01:39 AM
That "instant on" feature is hard on CRT's over time. Sure, the set comes on in less than five seconds, but keeping those heaters partially lit over all those years will take it's toll on the tube.

So, you're saying you lost the heaters on one of the guns??

Man! Steve Austin & Jamie Summers!! I can hear the "bionic" sound in my mind as he's running! That sound was sooo cool, and likely one of the best known sound effects even still today! :thmbsp:

yah ,i was removing shorts got down to heater - kb short and lost one of the three heaters, that was probley the short was the filiment. lol i havent seen the bionic man in probley 25 yrs ,and i can still remember that sound effect.

Tom S
05-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Your a lucky pup. I've wanted a CM for a long time. My folks first color set. Got 2to Rca's instead but nice sets

Reece
05-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Nelson, that lift gate is really cool. Electric, I guess?

snelson903
05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Nelson, that lift gate is really cool. Electric, I guess?

yes its the same type of pump like is used with a snow plow, starter motor driving a hydraulic pump, i picked it up in mich. for 500.00 only the gate has some rust this winter ill weld up a new gate for it.i spent most of a week making frame brakets for it and installing it ,but it was worth it my back loves it .lol

snelson903
05-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Your a lucky pup. I've wanted a CM for a long time. My folks first color set. Got 2to Rca's instead but nice sets

its realy the first set even my wife likes ,lol i had just earlier this week picked up a zenith 62 console with space command ,and said this is last tv ill bring home for a while, 2 days later this cm shows up on craigslist ,i said this is what iv been looking for a roundie with the stereo in the frt and you dont see many cm, and before i showed her the tv i was on the phone telling the lady i want it for asking price of 50.00,and if the other person that wants it ill add 25.00 more for it. its the first time my wife took a trip to help me get it ,on the way home i said ,now this is the last set for a while . [ till another roundie shows up ]

DaveWM
05-20-2013, 07:35 PM
,on the way home i said ,now this is the last set for a while . [ till another roundie shows up ]

yuuuuup

Tubejunke
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
That "instant on" feature is hard on CRT's over time.

As far as the instant on feature goes, it was a fire hazard which I believe is one reason or the reason that they stopped making them before solid state circuitry was in most all sets. And as far as the bionic man/woman sound goes, I think that you can get that on a cell phone ring tone. :banana:

Glenz75
06-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Great save in this awesome looking set....Glad you got to it before the fishtank hangmans did :thmbsp: Cheers.