View Full Version : Picking up a Toshiba 30HF84

DavGoodlin
05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
At a local second hand store, they had $25 on it. Remote along but missing manual, but I downloaded that.:yes:
These sets were 88 pounds, a 30" HD CRT monitor, dated 2005 and made in Thailand. Not quite as heavy as the Sony HD WEGA monitor but it does have an HDMI input.
The Toshiba 30HF85/34HF85 was an inferior replacement for the 30HF84, some of which had issues with pincushion distortion out of the box.

Its my first HD set, so now the Samsung HD tuner can be fully utilized. I bought this tuner for antenna experimentation in 2005 and used the VGA output on a 720p monitor. It will be fun to connect something that displays 1080i to it.
Hope to post a nice picture soon.

radiotvnut
05-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that is an Orion-built TV.

tvcollector
05-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I've never cared for those BIG overly heavy HD CRT TV's.. They are extremely hard to maneuver around, and too heavy to sit on alot of stands...

radiotvnut
05-13-2013, 10:42 PM
I've got a big 35" Sony HD CRT TV in the basement. Don't know why I even took it because it was all me and another guy could do to move it. I think it needs the MCZ3001 (or whatever they are) IC's; but, it's too heavy to put on the bench by myself. In the future; I don't need it if I can't move it myself.

zeno
05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I've got a big 35" Sony HD CRT TV in the basement. Don't know why I even took it because it was all me and another guy could do to move it. I think it needs the MCZ3001 (or whatever they are) IC's; but, it's too heavy to put on the bench by myself. In the future; I don't need it if I can't move it myself.

If thats the wide screen CRT the set has the best pix ever bar none.
Just pull the HV/PS board & fix it, you will have to pull it anyway.
If its the chassis I had there are 2 IC's one STBY 5V the other
for 130V change both if you do it. Only other thing we had on one
was the flyback. Finally junked mine a 30", got sick of putting IC's
in every year. Be careful moving it, if you put pressure on the
bottom it can cave in. Another Sony dealer in my area lost a 40'
that way....

73 Zeno

Electronic M
05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Perhaps you could have made it more reliable with huskier replacement ICs.

I'd have only junked it if the CRT were bad. They did not make too many of those widescreen CRT sets, and given how great a picture they have they WILL become collectable(likely much sooner then most other sets made around that point too).
I wish I could find one for a good price! Only one ever I saw with the super-fine pitch CRT was about a year ago and the thrift wanted 125$ :screwy: for it...I was broke, and if my folks weren't buying a house then and broke as well, I'd have begged them until they helped me get it.

DavGoodlin
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Also looking at a new Panasonic HD CRT set in 2005, IIRC model CT34WX (not sure of number) was at a box store for $1000. It wasnt long before LCDs took over making it a heavy clunk-a-saurus

I certainly agree that a Sony (XBR?) would be the most desirable HD-CRT set in the future.

zeno
05-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Perhaps you could have made it more reliable with huskier replacement ICs.

I'd have only junked it if the CRT were bad. They did not make too many of those widescreen CRT sets, and given how great a picture they have they WILL become collectable(likely much sooner then most other sets made around that point too).
I wish I could find one for a good price! Only one ever I saw with the super-fine pitch CRT was about a year ago and the thrift wanted 125$ :screwy: for it...I was broke, and if my folks weren't buying a house then and broke as well, I'd have begged them until they helped me get it.
Believe me I was heart broken but life has to go on.
Looking back I should have put IC socket in it, the pcb was getting chewed up. I could have also tried gluing on some heat sinks, but
I dont know if it was heat or something else. If there were a better IC
I am sure Sony would have supplied it. The problem pissed off more than a few customers..............

73 Zeno

DavGoodlin
08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Sony KV34HS420, another CRT HD-ready set was at Salvation Army for $24. This is a 194pound beast, about 2.4 X the Toshiba's weight.

The Toshiba looks great after 3 months on the job. Looking at online comments on the Sony, I think I'll wait to see if an XS or XBR appears.