View Full Version : Badly needed coil for 64 zenith!

Tubejunke
05-13-2013, 02:23 AM
I can't proceed with getting my Zenith 5111 up to snuff without a replacement horizontal efficiency coil. Can anyone point me in the right direction in acquiring one of these. I will buy it or trade some tubes which I have many; far too many! :D

Steve McVoy
05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
We have a bunch of Zenith parts, but the boxes only have part numbers on them. If you can send the Zenith number I'll look to see if we have it.

Tubejunke
05-13-2013, 07:12 PM
OK, thanks a ton Steve! I will look in my Sam's folder for the part # as soon as I can. Supposedly these coils are known to lose their rigidity and cause issues in the horizontal circuitry.

Tubejunke
05-13-2013, 10:30 PM
The part is listed as a horizontal linearity coil. Zenith part no. S-62016
The specs are 385-770 micro henry. I'll keep my fingers crossed and thanks a ton!

Einar72
05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
There's always a buttload of these on ePay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=linearity+coil&_sacat=0&_from=R40

zeno
05-14-2013, 04:19 PM
The part is listed as a horizontal linearity coil. Zenith part no. 5-62016
The specs are 385-770 micro henry. I'll keep my fingers crossed and thanks a ton!
My memory is going BUT I think the number is wrong.
I dont think Zenith had 5 digit numbers til abt 1970 EXCEPT S- numbers
( the letter s-). S- #'s cropped up randomly, usually yokes, flys &
assemblies.
Transformers were usually 95- coils 20- I think. I dont remember what
5-#'s were maybe coils ? . Zenith was real good at numbering things so check the part. Also the Miller is PC mount, you want chassis mount if poss.
And dont forget other chassii may have used the same thing.

73 Zeno

Tubejunke
05-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks Zeno! I stand corrected. The part # is S-62016. The spec in micro Henry is correct. Perhaps this will help me. Also, I recently junked a nice 1958 Space Command 24" which could have such a coil. It is black and white, so no telling really what might be there that could work. I edited the original post in case someone does not read the entire thread.

Tubejunke
05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Thanks as well to Inar72 for the Ebay link. However, of the five listings that are there, none bear the part # that I need. Three are Miller #s H-105, H-137, and H-148. Then there is a Thordarson # WC-10, and finally a Merit # C-9. The Sam's folder .pdf that I have lists no crosses; only the Zenith #. Anybody know if any of these are replacements? I don't feel good about the Merit unit which is listed as "1.5-10 MH" I guess that MH is their way of saying micro, or perhaps milli, but capital M is technically Mega which would be one really big inductor! I hope that I can find somebody here or perhaps some other knowledgable source frankly because I don't need something three or more decimal places off in value.

Only one person told me that a broken shaft or core would cause problems with H.O plate current. They seemed to know their stuff, but I am thinking that a broken core would only hinder adjustment unless somehow the actual winding was separating or open. Would you guys change this out? The picture on this set was just fine as far as linearity goes, but there was some distortion off to the far left of the raster. I figured that was a capacitor issue.

wkand
05-17-2013, 11:39 PM
See my post in your original thread.