View Full Version : 1960 rca 211cd904

Tom S
05-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Just recapped my 1960 RCA. WOW, can't believe it. It played great for a year and all caps checked out in the power supply. Then one day it went blurry with a big hum bar. A 160 @ 200VDC went wide open. So at that point I checked all the power supply electro's and all I could find in the set. Changed every electrolytic. Came up with 5 critical caps bad. I checked with my ESR meter and found all caps that were bad. Including C5 in the video circuit, That really boosted up my contrast. I know power supply's are critical but after changing all the caps. I had to readjust the focus and grey scale. I know the HV is up as it warms up much quicker. Just a quick screen shot as my camera battery died.

zenithfan1
05-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Looks great! I really love the style of that set too! Nice job. It's amazing to see how much better they can work when recapped, even if it seemed to be fine before. I bet it works better overall now. Is the HV regulation more stable too? Mine would bloom on certain things and look fine a second later. Then, like yours, went all blurry, then BLACK..... new caps and boom, works perfect again:D

ggregg
05-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Looks great. Original Jonny Quest too. Which episode?

BigDavesTV
05-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Wow, great job, what a beautiful RCA! It's as old as me, maybe I'd benefit from a re-cap too :-) :-)