View Full Version : Scored a Watchman FD-20A

Eric H
05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I found a Blue Sony FD-20A today for $4.

Unfortunately the Duracells that were left in it had expired in 2000 so they had leaked all over.

I had to work a little to get the slip cover off the set and there are a few marks on the case where the acid melted the cover to the plastic.
I expected the insides to be a mess but pretty much all the damage was to the battery holder and the outside of the case where it contacted the cover.

I washed off the battery holder and it's not bad, just some discolored springs in the holder but I was able to get it to turn on and it works perfect.

Set was built in May 1984.

I saw another one of these in Silver (and not damaged) at an Antique Mall last weekend for $45 so I was happy with this deal.

Here's a couple pics of it playing "Car Wash" from the Agile Modulator.

compucat
05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I found a Blue Sony FD-20A today for $4.

Unfortunately the Duracells that were left in it had expired in 2000 so they had leaked all over.

I had to work a little to get the slip cover off the set and there are a few marks on the case where the acid melted the cover to the plastic.
I expected the insides to be a mess but pretty much all the damage was to the battery holder and the outside of the case where it contacted the cover.

I washed off the battery holder and it's not bad, just some discolored springs in the holder but I was able to get it to turn on and it works perfect.

Set was built in May 1984.

I saw another one of these in Silver (and not damaged) at an Antique Mall last weekend for $45 so I was happy with this deal.

Here's a couple pics of it playing "Car Wash" from the Agile Modulator.

I have two of the silver ones in really good condition with the fitted cases. I have bought some for parts that had the cases melt to the plastic and leave marks. They do work good and the removeable battery holder is a blessing when batteries have been left in them which is all too often. The FD-20 is one of the better designs because the screen cover can be removed to clean the CRT without disassembling the set.