View Full Version : Early Television Convention is two weeks away

Steve McVoy
05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
The convention is two weeks away. If you plan to attend, please register as soon as possible. I need to get final counts to the caterer.

You can register here:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/convention_registration.html

Thanks, and I hope to see you in two weeks.

snelson903
05-03-2013, 05:12 PM
i wish i could go ,property tax time around here.

rld-tv01
05-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I went to Defcon convention several years ago in Las Vegas. People would hitch hike there or buy a one way ticket and hope to get a free ride home. ETF is almost as much fun. Where else could you actually touch a prewar tv or see mechanical disks or mirror screws presenting color images.

David Roper
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I have two sets I need to pick up, one in Flushing NY and the other in Elburn, IL. I'm hoping those points are near the routes of a couple of fellow attendees. If one of them is, would you be kind enough to pick up the set that's on your way and bring it to the convention?

ChrisW6ATV
05-10-2013, 01:49 AM
I really wanted to go this year, especially with the Dayton Hamvention match-up, but finances and lack of availability of a replacement at work killed my chance. Maybe next year, darn it!

I hope you all have fun there this year.

Dave S
05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
We plan to make it all available on a live webcast, so check the Early Television website on Saturday (or go here (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/early-television-convention-2013).)

-- Dave Sica

mpatoray
05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Yep, there will be a Webcast this year, as there is every year. It should be interesting to see how the Pre War sets do in the auction.

Eric H
05-12-2013, 11:18 PM
I would love to go but with plane ticket, hotels, car rental it's a no go.
If I was 20 again I'd hop in my car and drive there, only $500 for gas but @53 it's not so much fun to drive 16 hours at a time, probably get a blood clot or something.

rld-tv01
05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Eric, I'm flying this year since I moved out west from the Long Beach airport. Its $217 each way. I'm staying at motel 6 for $45/night but thats with the senior discount. I think some people share rental cars after they get here. I had to get a rental car this year since I'm hauling some tvs from Columbus to my storage unit in VA. Thirty is charging me a $170 dropoff fee at different location but flying from VA to Long Beach is only $173 so I'm saving $44 on the flight back. I've thought in the past we should start a $25 lottery with half going to the museum and half to lucky winner to pay travel/stay in Columbus.

Richard

kramden66
05-14-2013, 11:19 AM
anyone fron NJ going ?

mike

old_tv_nut
05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
My photos from the convention are posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42002845@N02/collections/72157633551425488/

Dave S
05-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Thank you, Wayne!

cwmoser
05-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks for posting photos. Very enjoyable to view.

Carl

rld-tv01
05-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Wayne, I think your picture taking skills are improving every year. These pictures are great and seem to be extremely sharp and focused.

Richard

Einar72
05-21-2013, 03:00 PM
All I get is the Flickr logo-balls twirling and "Error on page" from IE...

kvflyer
05-21-2013, 03:46 PM

Works fine with FireFox. May want to try that browser?

Einar72
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Works fine with FireFox. May want to try that browser?

Thanks for the suggestion. Funny, but I go to Flickr a lot and it always coughs up the image. Even signed in to no avail. I'll try from work tomorrow!

kvflyer
05-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Funny, but I go to Flickr a lot and it always coughs up the image. Even signed in to no avail. I'll try from work tomorrow!

Hope it works for you!

Phil Nelson
05-21-2013, 04:34 PM
IE displays the photos fine for me.

Thanks for the pics, Wayne. I tried to take some screen shots of the DuMont monitor and the prototype with my phone, but yours give a much better idea what they really look like.

Phil Nelson

old_tv_nut
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
IE displays the photos fine for me.

Thanks for the pics, Wayne. I tried to take some screen shots of the DuMont monitor and the prototype with my phone, but yours give a much better idea what they really look like.

Phil Nelson

FYI, had to play with a lot of trial exposures, then used the raw files for final adjustment in Photoshop. jpg files direct from the camera have contrast adjustments built in to make good-looking pictures of ordinary subjects. Apply that to a TV picture that has its own pre-adjustments for pleasing pictures, and the result may look too contrasty or otherwise not the best. For comparison, I probably could have got better shots of the Dumont set, but would have had to hog it with a tripod in front, turn off room lights, etc. You were there and saw the crowds that rightfully wanted to get their own look at things.

Einar72
05-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Got it to play on my better half's computer!

earlyfilm
05-21-2013, 10:13 PM

I suspect that this problem has to do with a new format at Flickr and how fast your connection is.

I'm at a motel at the moment and my connection is wobbling between 15K and 24K. (Yes, that is "K" and not a typo.)

I had the same problem on the 2013 pictures, so I opened B. Anderson's page to see his flickr still worked.

The set page came up in an unfamiliar format, and after waiting several minutes, I noticed IE was waiting for 107 items to load. !!! I left the computer on and did something else, and in an estimated 20 + minutes the computer unlocked and let me control it again.

I opened Motorola 9T1 and it took about 10 minutes for the 32 (?) pictures to load. They were postage stamp size. I clicked on one, and it enlarged slightly, but Flickr no longer offered the choice of screen resolution, or original size image.

(My travel computer is Win XP Pro, all updates current, with IE8.)

James