View Full Version : I fixed my first LCD computer monitor

radiotvnut
04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
After years of getting numerous LCD TV's and monitor's with more problems than I wanted to fool with, I finally got one that I was able to easily fix.

The subject was a Dell monitor from 2003; that, of course, was made in China. The person who owned it said it wouldn't power up and that he was going to have it recycled. I talked him into letting me take a look at it before he dumped it. The problem turned out to be 4 bad electrolytic capacitors, with 3 of them buldging out the top. There were two Elite brand 1000uf caps on the power supply board and two Jamco brand 220uf caps on the inverter board that were bad and after they were replaced, the monitor fired right up and the owner was happy.

Now, I'd like to find some LCD TV's that are that easy to fix. I think I could actually make some decent money off of those.

CoogarXR
04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
I have a giant jar of bad caps on my workbench as a trophy, heh. It can be easy money.

walterbeers
04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I had to do the same thing, replace caps, in my Dell monitor. There were three of them bulged, so I replace those and one other one also in the power supply. Works great again, matter of fact, it's the one I'm using right now.

Spinning Head
11-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I think Dell monitors may have a general quality problem. Excluding laptops, the Dell monitor we purchased from Fry's in August of 2012 is the only flat panel display in the house. Tonight it just went black after being on for about a half hour. No power light, nothing. Tried replacing the power cord, still dead. Left unplugged about 5 minutes and yanked the video cable and it came back to life after plugging back in. In our house CRT monitors and TVs seem to hold up a lot better.

Jon A.
11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I had my choice of two used LCD monitors at my thrift shop: a Dell and an LG. I turned both of them around to look at the place of manufacture, and immediately turned down the Dell because it was made in China. Korea isn't a whole lot better, but nothing like that is made on this side of the pond, and an Apple monitor would cost more than a Mac Mini. While on the subject of crap made in China, I came across a blood pressure monitor made there while stocking shelves. That's just outright dangerous. I took it into the back room to explain the situation, and was given permission to throw it away.

andy
11-07-2013, 11:56 AM

waltchan
11-07-2013, 05:19 PM
And that fancy Apple monitor is made in ... China (just like virtually all of Apple's products). Apple doesn't even own the Chinese factories that make their products (and Dell's products, and many other brands). It's not where it's made that counts, it's how it was designed, and the level quality control that matters. I've seen junk made in everywhere from the US, to Japan, and China. I've also seen top quality products that were made in the US, Japan, and China.
Almost all of Apple products are being made by Foxxconn in China. Most of Apple products generally have low-repair rates, and Consumer Reports listed Apple #1 most-reliable brand for computer, and now Apple iPad is also rated #1 in reliability for tablets.

DavGoodlin
11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Almost all of Apple products are being made by Foxxconn in China. Most of Apple products generally have low-repair rates, and Consumer Reports listed Apple #1 most-reliable brand for computer, and now Apple iPad is also rated #1 in reliability for tablets.

Thanks for that item of interest. :thmbsp: Not surprising maybe because Apple probably designed it in N. California and specified better components, though still "hecho en chine":sigh:.

Jon A.
11-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Two other deciding factors on my monitor choice was that the LG is a 19" widescreen unit whereas the Dell had a regular 4:3 screen, and that the Dell was just fugly in comparison. I guess someone donated mine to the store just because it only has a VGA port.

It's nice to no longer have to scroll side to side on certain web pages.