View Full Version : The robbery of my storage garage, Part 2!

rca2000
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Some of you may recall that in early January, I had a break--in at my storage garage, where I keep most of my vintage electronic items. At that time, I was hoping to get back some stuff. That did not happen. Also--I was not able to get any insurance money, since I did not take out insurance (I was told it would not really be possible) and the owner of the garage had none either. So...I was "stuck" , wiht no way to get any recovery or such for my loss.

At least that is what I THOUGHT. It turns out that last Friday, I discovered I DID in fact, have insurance coverage for my stuff--as an "addition" to my house insurance i did NOT know was there!! SO, I found out that i am covered---and all they will need is some proper estimates on a "fair replacement value" would be for my items.

I can come up with some stuff from ebay and such--but what do you all think a "fair market value" to one of US would be--for a pair of CTC-12 color chassis--complete, 3, ctc-40 chassis, 1964 or so Admiral color chassis, a magnavox T-979, a Zenith 20YC150,and a GE 801 chassis, and a Zenith 29JC20 chassis complete except the color coil and with a known good fly and power tranny. . I want to give them an idea of what they would be worth as a real useable chassis to someone who needed them--not just scrap value to the average "nobody". .

I figure that the 29JC20 should be worth maybe 300 or so,l considering it's rarity, the ctc-12's maybe 100 or so apiece, and the CTC-40 chassis each maybe 50-100. AM I right?? Or too high/low?? Also there was an Airline stereo chassis with 7868 outs, complete and a number of radio chassis too.

I want to be fair to them--and ME too, in this process.

Also--I lost 8-10 old car radios, from the early 1930's to the mid 1950's. One was that great big ford radio, slant front, 30's vintage---I believe that one is very rare and valuable, right??

Hopefully I can get some help here.

Kamakiri
04-18-2013, 05:38 AM
What sort of "proof of value" does your insurance company require? A written estimate of sorts, I'd assume....but what are the conditions and requirements of said estimate?

Electronic M
04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I think 100$ for a CTC-12 chassis is a tad high....It is not uncommon for a complete set in decent shape to fetch that.

rca2000
04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
They just want a fair "replacement value" for the stuff and the age and how long I had them. If something is not easily replaceable(like a lot of our stuff) then they want to know how much it is worth to someone who would "need it" not as scrap value, but for the intended purpose.

bgadow
04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
I guess one way to look at it, say you needed a CTC-12 chassis, today, in Cincinnati. It wouldn't be that easy to find, most of us that own a 12 won't part them out, then when you do find one it has to be shipped. I'd say for that chassis, you'd have to spend at least $50. I could see someone spending $100 if they really needed it and it was a good one.

AUdubon5425
04-22-2013, 10:45 AM
I guess one way to look at it, say you needed a CTC-12 chassis, today, in Cincinnati. It wouldn't be that easy to find, most of us that own a 12 won't part them out, then when you do find one it has to be shipped. I'd say for that chassis, you'd have to spend at least $50. I could see someone spending $100 if they really needed it and it was a good one.

Bryan's right. Don't short change yourself, and do consider today's shipping costs as part of the replacement value.

dieseljeep
04-22-2013, 12:13 PM
What sort of "proof of value" does your insurance company require? A written estimate of sorts, I'd assume....but what are the conditions and requirements of said estimate?

Good luck on that one!
I shipped out a heavy RCA transformer powered 19" B/W portable, thru USPS.
When, inquiring about insurance or replacement, they told me that I would have to furnish an E*ay listing, or simular to insure the package. Even for a lousy $50.00 claim. Luckily, it arrived in good condition.
I hate insurance companies with a passion. I never tried scamming one. :sigh: