View Full Version : hey, what is this?

technicolor
04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
http://paintforcars.com/Merchant2/images/console.jpg

Beautiful set. don't tell me it;'s another maggie.

And to the haters i annoy by asking these questions, please go ############

jr_tech
04-15-2013, 11:11 PM
It's not another Maggie....Layout/controls look similar to this RCA CTC-31:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8txMKrepY
jr

Electronic M
04-16-2013, 12:03 AM
"don't tell me it;'s another maggie."

I'd say RCA too. I seem to recall the CTC-38 or 40 having a similar control panel as well.

Have Maggies been troublesome for you? I've never owned a tube era TV with their name on it to know how they behave. I get having bad luck with a brand...Every Grundig I've owned be it tube era or brand new solid state has either been crap from the get go, or has preformed well only to later break in ways that defy attempts at repair.

radiotvnut
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
It's certainly an RCA TV/stereo combo from the late '60's. It could be one of their tube offerings or it could be the solid state CTC40 chassis. Whatever it is, it looks to be in good shape and it's worth going after, if the price is right.

mpatoray
04-16-2013, 12:35 AM
It's defiantly an RCA, I don't think its a 40, our 40 console did not look like that, although they could have done a different face for the stereo, if it is a 40 console stereo you have a rare beast there, as the 40 was I think $799 new for just the TV!

consoleguy67
04-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Hi Tom C.,
I have two Maggie sets; the color roundie combo in my avatar, and a black and white combo, both from 1964. Both sets play great.

sampson159
04-16-2013, 08:16 AM
looking at a much bigger image,it appears to be a ctc 38-40 from the very late 60s.25v crt and this set looks great.a keeper and a great find!

Zenith26kc20
04-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Maggie's could put up a fight but my T-933 is a great performer! That does look like a RCA CTC38. If I can remember a long time ago, we had a customer with one and it had a bizarre remote control setup. It was HEAVY! RCA and Zenith must have disliked technicians as their combo sets were outrageously heavy!

technicolor
04-16-2013, 08:49 AM

I'd say RCA too. I seem to recall the CTC-38 or 40 having a similar control panel as well.

Have Maggies been troublesome for you? I've never owned a tube era TV with their name on it to know how they behave. I get having bad luck with a brand...Every Grundig I've owned be it tube era or brand new solid state has either been crap from the get go, or has preformed well only to later break in ways that defy attempts at repair.

Not troublesome, just trying to put together a well rounded collection. And the maggies in all forms seem to be so much more abundant than rca or zenith.

BigDavesTV
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Definately a beautiful RCA Combination Set! My vote is about a CTC-38 Chassis, tubes, the Radio / Stereo portion will be Solid-State, looks very well cared for, cost a lot when new, hope you score it! Best wishes!

dieseljeep
04-16-2013, 12:51 PM

You're not missing anything, not having any tube model Magnavox sets.
I always considered their sets to be not that great. They improved since Philips bought them out. I do like their tube amps though.
Regarding Grundig radios: I wont buy any more German radios for my collection. The push button assemblys crumble and are beyond repair. :yes:

technicolor
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I got to be more careful and mindful of moving these things, I myself almost destroyed the crt getting it out of the house.

$40 and it's in my truck, the neighbor even helped me get it out of there. I'll post more later, and if u run into my wife, i did not buy another tv.

IsthmusTV
04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Congrats on the nice find. Boy, I bet that thing weighs a ton!

Another aircraft carrier saved!

zeno
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
RCA for sure, prob CTC38. nice strong clean snow, should run real nice.

Maggies ? never liked them, only chassis I liked was the 2 board SS rig
C-1 chassis ??? Been too long........
Grundigs ? Sound nice. Ever tried to run a dial string on one of the
table models ? FORGET IT ! Used to wait months for ANY parts.
The suffered from the same arrogance Sony has.

nuf sed
73 Zeno

technicolor
04-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Congrats on the nice find. Boy, I bet that thing weighs a ton!

Another aircraft carrier saved!

The living room was a time warp, u literally walked in to the late sixties, It was still in use and hooked up to a antenna rotary. Gaudy mirrors, mint furniture with period fabric under slip covers.

As much as i love the sets, it's always sad when an item like this is coming into your hands cause someone passed.

as far as weight, I would give the nod to the RCA vista color from a few weeks ago, that set is a monster

holmesuser01
04-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Please let us know what it is when you get it home. I used to work on RCA'a at my business!

As for Magnavox, my cousin had a 1968 Maggie color console that, other than my replacing the HV rectifier once in 1994, never had any service done at any time. It was still running in 2003, when he moved, and gave it away, rather than move with it. I would have taken it, if I had known this...

jstout66
04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
NICE set! I am going to guess it's a CTC-28. From the pix, it looks like it has the large hinged door that opens to get to the consumer controls. (which I think was a CTC-28 thing, as that's the only chassis I've seen that has it) If it has the flip up door, CTC-31or CTC-38, From the "snow" pix, it looks like it has a STRONG tube with great grayscale.

Electronic M
04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Not troublesome, just trying to put together a well rounded collection. And the maggies in all forms seem to be so much more abundant than rca or zenith.
I've got it the other way around.
Come to the Chicago-Milwaukee area....There is a Zenith in every attic! I've only seen Maggie audio consoles(I own one) and about 2 gutted TV consoles (proof some did exist here at some point).

Most of my collection is Zenith(must have more than 11 of them counting SS sets)....I just can't seem to say no to something with their name on it.

technicolor
04-16-2013, 08:31 PM
I've got it the other way around.
Come to the Chicago-Milwaukee area....There is a Zenith in every attic! I've only seen Maggie audio consoles(I own one) and about 2 gutted TV consoles (proof some did exist here at some point).

Most of my collection is Zenith(must have more than 11 of them counting SS sets)....I just can't seem to say no to something with their name on it.

Chicago was zenith's backyard, so i am not surprised.

technicolor
04-16-2013, 08:34 PM
It's an rca vista color, don't have anybody to help me get it in, so it's still in the truck. Model 850 l.

andy
04-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Einar72
04-16-2013, 10:41 PM
I had one of these in a "Danish modern" cabinet. I got it home from the thrift store in 1982, and saw it only had a picture right after the power was turned OFF (turned out to be a green solder joint where a power resistor hooked to a tie point. I don't remember any transistors on the chassis. Within a year it fried something in the HV section and was tossed. It's definitely not a CTC-38, that was my parents' first set, it had a very different bezel and was a hybrid.

Electronic M
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
I had one of these in a "Danish modern" cabinet. I got it home from the thrift store in 1982, and saw it only had a picture right after the power was turned OFF (turned out to be a green solder joint where a power resistor hooked to a tie point. I don't remember any transistors on the chassis. Within a year it fried something in the HV section and was tossed. It's definitely not a CTC-38, that was my parents' first set, it had a very different bezel and was a hybrid.

I had that problem on a roundy. The screen voltage was derived from the boost diode which was open.

beetleham02
04-27-2013, 12:56 PM
it is a RA TC28 HEC

wa2ise
04-27-2013, 06:11 PM
... if it is a 40 console stereo you have a rare beast there, as the 40 was I think $799 new for just the TV!

Back around 1975 my grandma bought a color TV, an RCA CTC39X, tubes. Still have the schematic, but the TV is long gone... Before that she always had B&Ws. She watched a lot of soap operas and such. I imagine the TV shops were having a blowout sale to get rid of the tubed TV sets, and she wasn't the one to spend big bucks for a '40 anyway.

technicolor
04-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I vote early CTC40. The channel knobs look like the ones on a CTC40, and I know for a fact that they early CTC40 had that control layout and were labeled "New Vista Color". The tilt out control panel didn't appear until the second year for the CTC40. It could be a CTC38, but based on the fact that it appears to be working well, I'd lean towards solid state.

give that man a cigar, it's a ctc40

Tony V
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I have the same set-up in a different cabinet. Although i need a new tv chassis for mine, the stereo is a good performer and has one of the hottest fm tuners i've ever owned. You got a good one there buddy!