View Full Version : silvertone roundie problem

timmy
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
ok well got this thing running problem is i cant set it up on the bar dot gen because the verticle and horizontal are so unstable i cant get it to stop. the detect diode, double 3 leg diode if this were bad this could very well be the problem ? and i have no sound whatsoever and im at a loss now as to why. any help would help me greatly at this point. would the detect diode be the same from rca to this silvertone chassis, they both look the same and they are both roundies.

Zenith26kc20
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
can you get a normal picture from a regular source (not taking covergence into consideration)?
If so, the generator is at fault

timmy
04-11-2013, 06:37 PM
i do get a picture but as the verticle and horiz go crazy the colors shift all over and the pic will go to the left or right. even with the bar gen its distorted, as well as the regular picture i get, and no sound.

zenithfan1
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
sounds like your horizontal frequency is off. Did you recap the vert and Horiz.? If not, that would be my first step. The color subcarrier rides on the coat tails of the horizontal IIRC, so that could be why the color is wonky too.

timmy
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
recapped all the electrolytics and a new flyback the other one dripped all the wax out and it was hissing anyway. still cant figure out why there is no sound. what would be responsible for the frequency to be off.

zenithfan1
04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I'll bet the circuit needs to be tuned for the new fly. That can thow off your frequency a bit. The sound, no idea. One of my 11s had no sound then it came back on it's own and has been fine. These sets do weird stuff sometimes.

timmy
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
the fly didnt change anything as i run the set with the old fly and the same thing so it made no difference except the new fly didnt get hot and melt and hiss.

timmy
04-13-2013, 04:02 PM
well got the sound fixed thanks to don lindsly he is so good with these sets. was a 400 volt feed to a 1400 ohm resistor the wire burned and corroded off. now for the vert and horiz issue.

timmy
04-14-2013, 11:48 AM
well it turned out better then i expected as far as the crt is concerned, the vert and horiz issues were the detect dual diode, done. sound is great now as well these sets are amazing the abuse from lousy repairs over great many years and with alittle TLC they seem to always come back to life.

timmy
04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
oops