View Full Version : craigslist silvertone roundie

timmy
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
hey all just picked this set up not sure what year maybe 65-66 silvertone the chassis is 528.62183 maybe a 16 clone. if anyone knows what year and or chassis this is that would be great, thanks.

oldtvman
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
That set is probably a ctc 15 clone made be Wells Gardner

radiomec
04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Very nice tv set!

timmy
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
well it dont look like a 15 because it has the verticle board in the same place but its on an angle facing down, i thought maybe a 16 as the 16 has the slanted flyback like this one.

bgadow
04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
It was covered in Sams Photofact 815-3 which dates from 1966. I think that was Warwick built, those later clones seemed to differ more from the genuine RCA's than the earlier 60s models.

hi_volt
04-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Nice set. Looks like it's been well taken care of.

Zenith26kc20
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I repaired a lot of Warwick built sets. Strangely enough I always liked them. The original owner of this shop wouldn't even take them in he hated them so bad. The color tube sets could be good performers but were prone to the original CRT's going weak. A new CRT and they were quite nice. I remember some had a weird control to change the background tint like Magnavox had but the Warwick had a control where Magnavox had a switch (Chromatone?)

old_tv_nut
04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
The Motorola chassis with the single-tube color section needed an adjustment because changing the single tube would change the grayscale tracking. Nevertheless, they eliminated the control in the very cheapest sets.

It's interesting that Magnavox and others put the control in as a feature, when they did not need it. I have always thought of it as one more way for the customer to screw up the picture.

Jeffhs
04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I had a Silvertone roundie that worked passably for three years after a couple of repairs (well, not actually correct repairs, but jury-rigs, like jumping the circuit breaker :nono: and the push-pull AC switch on the volume control), but those fragile PC boards ... sheesh. One board in my set cracked, rendering the set unusable, when I tried to replace a bad tube; from then on I lost all respect for PC boards in tube-type TVs and even radios. Wouldn't touch one now with a ten-foot test probe.

ChrisW6ATV
04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
That control sounds like a decades-early version of what is now a common option on TV sets: Adjustable color temperature. Aside from, yes, being another way to misadjust the picture, it does have (on modern sets, at least) a very valuable function: To change the temperature from "TV white" (9300 degrees K) to real white (6500 degrees K, as used in the TV studios). TV sets "out of the box" are set up for blazing-bright pictures to help sell them in store displays (and indeed, to some customers who actually like them that way), and one of the tricks was always to make whites bluer. Only when adjustable color temperature returned could users fix this problem without often going inside the set to find the adjustments if they were even available (once they had disappeared from the back panel).

timmy
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
that color control on this roundie is in the front and its called chromix, whatever the hell that is. besides that the red gun on the crt good is 300 or more but im only getting around 270 so i dont know how this will perform once i get it up and running. any ideas how the red gun would work out being low like this or even how long it may last?

mstaton
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Let it cook for several hours on 7V. Maybe It will wake up

Jeffhs
04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
The Motorola chassis with the single-tube color section needed an adjustment because changing the single tube would change the grayscale tracking. Nevertheless, they eliminated the control in the very cheapest sets.

It's interesting that Magnavox and others put the control in as a feature, when they did not need it. I have always thought of it as one more way for the customer to screw up the picture.

My Insignia flat screen has a button on the remote labeled "picture", which brings up a menu of options for adjusting several screen parameters including color temperature. I don't bother with those controls for the very reason you mentioned: because misadjusting them can all too easily ruin a perfectly good color picture. Many people never got the hang of adjusting the color temperature control on older sets (known variously as color fidelity, Chromix [Sears], Chromatone [Magnavox], et al.) and often settled for watching a terrible color picture; they did not realize that this control injects a soft blue or red color into a black-and-white picture, and is not disabled during color programming -- which is why misadjustment of the control could and all too often did make a terrible mess of a color program picture. On the other hand, some folks did not even know the color temperature control was there in the first place, so it remained at the b&w (neutral) midpoint setting for the life of the set. I wouldn't be surprised if the color-fidelity, etc. controls on these TVs wound up extremely dirty (in the case of a switch, such as Magnavox's Chromatone which was located, strangely, on the back of the set) or even frozen in the neutral position (for variable potentiometers as used in most other sets) from years or decades of disuse. IMHO, the day this control was eliminated from all color TVs was a red-letter one, since it removed one more way the set owner could wreck the picture. Hiding the color-temperature, etc. adjustments in on-screen menus is another way to prevent this, as most people don't use those adjustments anyway in this age of plug-and-play TVs. I doubt if many viewers are even aware that such adjustments even exist. :scratch2: Many if not most non-technical viewers today are content just to turn on the set, select the channel they want to watch, set the volume, and forget the rest.

timmy
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
7 volts, not to high??????

Kamakiri
04-05-2013, 02:54 PM
That looks an awful lot like a set that I was tempted to buy from grimer about 2 years ago :)

timmy
04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
this set came from the original owner in western mass

mstaton
04-06-2013, 12:04 AM
7 volts, not to high??????

7v is OK for a few hours

Firebird
04-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Had one when i was a kid, was a 1965.

BigDavesTV
04-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Very nice looking "Sliver-tone" Roundie! I like that cabinet style, too, Congratulations.

timmy
04-08-2013, 05:24 AM
well im recapping and doing what must be done on these sets befor running it and hoping the crt produces a good picture still because the crt is original but the red gun is weak. on 6.3 testing the red is weak and the green, not passing the 300 mark but blue just gets over the 300. the color setting on my crt tester is higher heater voltage and using that setting the blue and green pass but the red still dont make it to 300 its like 260, kinda low. anyone know a simple way to check the boost rectifier, rather then putting it all back together only to find its bad and pull it all out again. what defines a bad crt in terms of emission readings with this red gun being at around 260 and 300 is good i tried 2 testers and get the same result . i have a newer bk tester but not going to bother trying that one since i got the same result from the other 2 testers. would i have to try to balance the color drives in setup maybe keeping the green and blue lower to work better with the weak red ? i let it run for awhile to bake but not any better. as much as i dont like using the rejuv i did on the red and green on the lowest and tried it twice and it did not get any better so i left it alone now.

andy
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM

David Roper
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM

dieseljeep
04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
that color control on this roundie is in the front and its called chromix, whatever the hell that is. besides that the red gun on the crt good is 300 or more but im only getting around 270 so i dont know how this will perform once i get it up and running. any ideas how the red gun would work out being low like this or even how long it may last?
Chromix was the same as chromatone in Magnavox sets. :boring:

marty59
04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Dumont had "Color Fidelity".