View Full Version : 1991 Magnavox RR1330 pink reds

Trance88
04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Hey guys. I picked up a nice looking 1991 "13 Magnavox TV from goodwill a couple days ago. The thing has a crazy bright picture, almost too bright but good contrast. I noticed that all colors look great, except for certain reds, they show up as a reddish-pink. Very strange. Is this a problem or just how these things are?:scratch2:

holmesuser01
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I wonder if somebody was messing with the screen and drive adjustments, assuming that the set uses adjustable controls?

Too bright is not good. Which chassis has it got?

old_tv_nut
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, sounds like screen controls misadjusted. Possibly a weak picture tube with the screens cranked to the end to compensate, but maybe just misadjusted.

Trance88
04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
It's chassis number 13S401-00AA. I've opened up a set nearly identical to this one and it had pots for almost every screen adjustment. I hope it doesn't have a weak tube. As far as the drive adjustments, wouldn't whites look off? The whites are perfectly white to me. It's just certain shades of red show up with a pink-magenta. If I turn the tint more towards the green, the reds look better but everything else gets thrown off (skin tones look too golden-yellowish, whites look off)

holmesuser01
04-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I'd turn the color all the way down.

Look away from the screen for a few moments.

Look quickly at the screen. What color do you notice the most?

MAYBE the degausssing circuit is not working.

The S series chassis came along near the end of my Maggie time, so I dont have any literature on them anymore.

Trance88
04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd turn the color all the way down.

Look away from the screen for a few moments.

Look quickly at the screen. What color do you notice the most?

MAYBE the degausssing circuit is not working.

The S series chassis came along near the end of my Maggie time, so I dont have any literature on them anymore.I did what you said and there is no bias towards any certain color. It's very well ballanced.:scratch2:

I noticed there are "Drive" and "Cut" pots for each color gun. If reds have a pink-majenta bias, which pot should I increase or decrease?

Edit:
After watching TV with this unit for a while, I'm starting to feel that there's slightly too much green. Skin tones are a little too golden. I also have the contrast adjusted all the way down with the on screen display and it's still a little too much. I don't see a pot for it on the PCB.

holmesuser01
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
If you have good grey tracking in B/W, I wouldn't adjust the drive or screen controls.

You should input a red screen, blue screen, then a green screen and see what goes with the sets color circuits.

Can you access customer controls? Is the brightness up high? Contrast?

(I assume that you can, as you adjusted the color up and down...)

Trance88
04-04-2013, 12:14 AM
If you have good grey tracking in B/W, I wouldn't adjust the drive or screen controls.

You should input a red screen, blue screen, then a green screen and see what goes with the sets color circuits.

Can you access customer controls? Is the brightness up high? Contrast?

(I assume that you can, as you adjusted the color up and down...)I'll have to hook up the TV to one of my computers (S-Video to RF Modulator) to get color test screens.