View Full Version : Picture Tilt ????

Beachboy
03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
In browsing the local Craig's List ads for CRT TV's, I noticed this ad for a bpc GE TV, looks to be about 27", and judging from the jack panel, a fairly top of the line model for GE. But check out the pic of the jack panel in the second photo -- what do the two slide switches labeled as "picture tilt" do? I've never seen this type of control on a conventional CRT TV before.

http://ksu.craigslist.org/ele/3706015644.html

compu_85
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
My parents have a Sony Wega TV that has a tilt adjustment in the menu. That looks like a simple switch based control for the same thing... turn it right or left, and by how much.

-J

old_tv_nut
03-28-2013, 11:26 AM
In a service menu, or as a hidden control, I could understand. As a customer-accessible control, I don't.

Then again, maybe the earth's magnetic field could cause a tilt depending on which way the set is facing - but I would think degaussing would fix it - have to think about that.

Beachboy
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I thought the inclusion of the picture tilt control on such a bread-and-butter product as a GE TV seemed very odd. Included in the service menu, which 99% of owners never access, is understandable, but not as easily-accessible switches on the back of the TV.

holmesuser01
03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
I think some of the 31, 32-36 inch RCA/GE's had a tilt switch on them. I know the big 36" console RCA's did... It didnt make much difference, either way. When I toiled at Sears, I'd check the switch positions while I put a crosshatch on the screen. Customers never paid much attention to what I was doing to their sets.

Trance88
04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
I dunno if this is a good thing I did, but I fixed a TV once with a tilt by just hand turning the neck of the tube.:para:

Kamakiri
04-02-2013, 05:53 AM
That's generally how you fix a lot of them with that issue :)

zeno
04-02-2013, 08:17 AM
That is an RCA built GE.
I dont remember what the tilt did but I have seen it
on big screen CRT sets. Also may have a E-W switch
( or was it N-S ? ) there to.
I bet its a 31" or larger jug..........