View Full Version : fooled again..picking up RCA "tube" TV

DavGoodlin
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
I got a call from my contact at the local thrift store. There was a lady who was donating some furniture and an RCA TV. Since they stopped taking floor models, a photo was taken by the pick-up dudes but not good enough for this forum.

I called the lady and she said "nobody wants a TV with tubes anymore" Rather than ask, in vain of course, if tubes was PLURAL...I began dreaming of NEW VISTA....:drool:
Her husband bought it from a local dealer who was a popular RCA store, closing in the early 90's, so reality strikes one. She said it still works, strike two. She lives nearby so I am going over this evening with my truck and blankets. I will take it as a favor to one of the greatest generation, though I bet its a mid-80s Colortrak.:sigh:

radiotvnut
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, "tube TV" or "TV with tubes" doesn't have much meaning anymore. Today, "tube TV" is often used to describe a TV with a CRT and I've ran into a lot of older people who think all TV's have tubes in them.

DavGoodlin
03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Well, it was even newer. A 1991 Colortrak still made in Indy, housed in a dark-stained pine early american. She had the remote control (no manual) and her son helped me hoist it in my little wagon, on its back with no CRT cup. I saw no reason to bring the truck.
Its so clean, I have to keep it for a while.

The nice lady did gleefully describe the RCA combo, 7-foot long that she traded on this one and how it took 4 guys to move it. No way was that combo newer than an XL-100...anyways

radiotvnut
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't think RCA made a combo after the first generation XL100.