View Full Version : Samsung 42" DLP Checked the hours

RCAkid
03-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Way back in March of 2006 I purchased new ($1800) a really nice Samsung DLP HD TV. While it didn't produce a 1080P picture, it did produce a 1080i image. The set has, knock on wood, been used steadily without issue for 7 years. Several years ago, out of curiosity and concern over the bulb, I checked the hours. It had around 4000 on it and I was mentally preparing myself for the need of a new lamp.

This set was and I suppose, still is a pretty neat one. With a full compliment of ports on it, coax, composite, s-video, two component, VGA and yes, an HDMI port, along with digital audio port, it handles all my goodies, especially my bluray player quite well. :smoke:

Well, here we are in 2013. I had a minor issue with my cable box and had the idea of connecting the box's dvi port to the hdmi port. After gently swinging the set out to make the connections, I noticed that little bright light coming from the back and wondered, once again about the lamp.

Knowing that these things are rated at 3000 to 4000 hours, and knowing that several years ago this thing had about 4000 hours on it, I was once again curious.

Pulled up the service menu and WHOA! 8,642 hours have been logged on that set with the OEM lamp! :jawdrop: I am very grateful that it has lasted this long and, again, knock on wood, has never given a moment's trouble.

Now, I have had it plugged into an APC UPS all these years which I am sure has helped the longevity despite what the yahoo at Best Buy told me years ago that a uninterruptable power supply for computers are not be used on TV's since the power is different. :scratch2:

Never the less, the old girl still works as well as it did when new and hopefully will continue to do so for a while at least. I really don't want to have to replace it. I have decided to get a new lamp for it, just as a precaution and the fact they are much less than they were several years ago.

Say what you might about Samsung, they seem to be top notch machines. BTW, I also use all Samsung LCD computer monitors, we have about 8 of them and run em all the time.

Now all that being said, those monitors as well as the tv are all on UPS's and I feel pretty certain that this one thing has helped increase the longevity of these monitors and tv exponentially. It might be a good idea, when purchasing a new tv, to go ahead and spring for the UPS as well.

Just a thougth that I thought I would pass along. :D

CoogarXR
03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Some DLPs are real bulb-eaters, while others can run forever on them. UPSs help, in my opinion, proper air circulation helps best. Some have failed air flow designs from the factory...

StellarTV
03-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Even at 8000 hours I guarantee that the picture is not as bright nor defined as it was when the lamp was new, but it has changed so gradually you might not have noticed.

Once you do re-lamp, marvel then!

RCAkid
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Well, thanks for that. Just love having the wind knocked out of my sails. :grumpy:

Silly me. Here I was thinking it was a good thing to share my thoughts about what seemed to be a cool discovery. Perhaps the picture WILL be brighter when the time comes to put in a new bulb. That will be nice.

However, I figured that in a day and age when tv's and other things are made to crap out in a short amount of time, I was lucky enough to purchase a product that has lasted and, after all the use and time, STILL has, IMHO, a better, sharper and brighter picture than a new Sharp Aquos that I picked up for my office.

When the time comes that I do have to replace the lamp, I will indeed marvel at whatever increase in brightness occurs. I will just remember not to share it here.

Alastair E
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Well--I think its pretty cool its lasted that long!

8K6 hours is a Vast amount of time for ANY type of lamp, let alone one of those Xenon/metal-halide things DLP use....

Also, not in continuous operation either--How many on/off cycles has it done in all those years--probably the most demanding phase of the lamp's life is firing it up....

Its run for over double its expected lifespan! Cant fault it!

N2IXK
03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
When high pressure arc lamps age, the risk of the lamp exploding due to stresses in the envelope increases. Flying bits of an exploding lamp can potentially damage optics or other components.