View Full Version : My latest acquisition

josephdaniel
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Today I picked up a small little ge hybrid for 20.00 it seems to work but haven't gotten to a rf source to be sure
There also was a philco princess for 130 with audio and a weak rasterhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/2y5egadu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/e9u5etu3.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/hysa9u4a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/unedasyt.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/a4eteme7.jpg

holmesuser01
03-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I had this GE in avocado. Ran about 10 years, before the plastic handle broke and it rolled down the steps.

josephdaniel
03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
From what I have read it seems the little sets think theyr made better than they really are. I this set has all of its orginal tubes from 1974 except for one on the tuner

dieseljeep
03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
From what I have read it seems the little sets think theyr made better than they really are. I this set has all of its orginal tubes from 1974 except for one on the tuner
It looks like someone hung in a large wire wound resistor toward the front.
The SF had some novel circuitry, to make it an interesting set.
I have one with the longer, horizontal cabinet, in beautiful walnut grain plastic. The CRT is slightly tired. :sigh:

josephdaniel
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
The one on the left in the first pic? If so I noticed that one but didn't know if it was orgional.
Also if anyone has a spare VHF knob and a fine tuneing knob I would appreciate it!

dieseljeep
03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
BTW, the tuner tubes are branded Sarkes Tarzian, the maker of the tuner.
Mine's an earlier model, 1973, without the click-stop UHF tuner. :yes:

old_coot88
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Those little GEs were suprizingly durable considering the cheap-looking construction. But one frequent problem was the H. osc coil which would break at the lugs or pull out of the board.
And there was a quirk in the design (which may or may not apply to your set). The H. oscillator would refuse to start. Sometimes you could get it started by clicking the set on and off, or sometimes it wouldn't start at all. Come to find the oscillator runs on B Boost instead of the B+ supply.

The cure was to run a Si diode and a resistor (i forget the value) from the osc. to the B+ rail, so the osc. would start on B+. Then when the Boost came up, the diode became reverse-biased and the osc. switched seamlessly over and ran on Boost as designed. But it would start every time, on B+.

The H. output would not red-plate with the oscillator dead since the B+ was only 130V.

josephdaniel
03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok then that means all if the tubes are orgional to the set.
Also what year were the continuous UHF tuners banned? This one has the continuous tuner and all of the tubes are dated 1974

dieseljeep
03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Ok then that means all if the tubes are orgional to the set.
Also what year were the continuous UHF tuners banned? This one has the continuous tuner and all of the tubes are dated 1974
Possibly for the 1975 model year. Not sure when it was mandatory. :scratch2:

RDusel
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Ahh, the venerable SF chassis. I have had 3 of the space age looking late models with the tuner knobs at the top and they all worked with original parts. On the last one I was using it extensively as an attic TV and it finally developed a bad section on the electrolytic and formed a buzz and hum bars.
Incidentally, there was only one 3 section electrolytic in mine and no wax caps. Replaced the electrolytic and it works great again.

radiotvnut
03-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know when the SF was discontinued? I'm sure they were still around in '76; but, don't know if they were offered later.

dieseljeep
03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Those little GEs were suprizingly durable considering the cheap-looking construction. But one frequent problem was the H. osc coil which would break at the lugs or pull out of the board.
And there was a quirk in the design (which may or may not apply to your set). The H. oscillator would refuse to start. Sometimes you could get it started by clicking the set on and off, or sometimes it wouldn't start at all. Come to find the oscillator runs on B Boost instead of the B+ supply.

The cure was to run a Si diode and a resistor (i forget the value) from the osc. to the B+ rail, so the osc. would start on B+. Then when the Boost came up, the diode became reverse-biased and the osc. switched seamlessly over and ran on Boost as designed. But it would start every time, on B+.

The H. output would not red-plate with the oscillator dead since the B+ was only 130V.
The SF chassis has a FET horizontal oscillator and a transistor horizontal driver.
Did they run that circuit from the boost?
I remember, I had that problem with the sets using the 8LT8. :sigh:

old_coot88
03-16-2013, 01:16 PM
The SF chassis has a FET horizontal oscillator and a transistor horizontal driver.
Did they run that circuit from the boost?
I remember, I had that problem with the sets using the 8LT8. :sigh:
Dang, i missed the statement that the set is a hybrid. Better learn to read better. The H osc problem was on the all-tube sets.
Mucho apologies for the goof.

dieseljeep
03-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Dang, i missed the statement that the set is a hybrid. Better learn to read better. The H osc problem was on the all-tube sets.

I goofed as well. I scrapped a few old GE's models because of the horizontal oscillator failure.
Admiral also made a clone of this set, that had the same problem. :no:

dieseljeep
03-16-2013, 01:57 PM

I goofed as well. I scrapped a few old GE's models because of the horizontal oscillator failure.
Admiral also made a clone of this set, that had the same problem. :no:

old_coot88
03-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Yeah you gotta wonder what the designers were thinkin'. They must've figured enuff juice would get past the damper for the osc. to start on.
Their original intent in running it on Boost must've been to get a high level drive signal.