View Full Version : My other Sylouette

ggregg
03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Ordered caps for both sets, so I thought it's time to do the other one. The chassis are very similar, but not identical but I had the different caps anyway. This one has quite a few miles on it unlike my other one that has very low time. Still looks pretty good and the halo works too (although the tranny has been changed). The CRT is getting livelier with more use. This one is one of the last Sylouette models. I believe it's a 1960 or 61 and has a remote chassis. Wish I had the remote.

holmesuser01
03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Nice. The only Halolight set I ever saw had a burned up transformer, and a broken halo tube. It had a sound issue, so, I quoted the owner a price, and never saw it again.

DavGoodlin
03-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Nice pictures! I hope I can get my '59 Sylouette looking that good but the CRT tests kind of soft. I have all the caps too.

The Halo light does not appear to be a feature offered by any other manufacturer.

WISCOJIM
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Nice pictures! I hope I can get my '59 Sylouette looking that good but the CRT tests kind of soft. I have all the caps too.

The Halo light does not appear to be a feature offered by any other manufacturer.

Probably not as Sylvania built the bulbs.

Rod Beauvex
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
What was the Halo light feature?

ggregg
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Look at the third and fourth picture. There is a flourescent tube behind a plastic panel that surrounds the picture tube. It can be turned on and off. The advertising promoted as being easier on the eyes in addition to making the picture look bigger than it really was. Sylvania was a little late getting into TV's and needed something to stand out and the halolight was it although they made both halo and non-halo models. They started making them around 1952 and ended around 1961. This set is one of the last model Halolights made. The Sylouette was made from around 1958 to 1961 or so. Sylouettes featured a very modern design and narrow depth, less than a foot (not counting the neck cover), by using a 110 degree CRT.