View Full Version : '55 Philco

VA561
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
I recently acquired a 1955 Philco 21" with a swivel base, model 4113. The set is in very good condition except for a missing faceplate/cover that attaches to the middle of the set where the adjustment knobs are located. I believe it has the Philco name on the cover. If anyone can locate one of these, please send me a pm. This is the only part missing on this otherwise great looking set.

Larry

DavGoodlin
03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Those were great sets.
I had a bad vertical output transformer in one, recapped it then sold it because it worked so well. The control cover is not much more than a trim piece that allowed top and bottom finger access to the knob IIRC.

dieseljeep
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Those were great sets.
I had a bad vertical output transformer in one, recapped it then sold it because it worked so well. The control cover is not much more than a trim piece that allowed top and bottom finger access to the knob IIRC.
That was one of my favorite Philco models. Philco went back to the full power transformer, with 5U4 and the single chassis.
Starting with the 1957 model year, it was down hill, for the company after that. :sigh:

DavGoodlin
03-13-2013, 11:28 AM
That was one of my favorite Philco models. Philco went back to the full power transformer, with 5U4 and the single chassis.
Starting with the 1957 model year, it was down hill, for the company after that. :sigh:

The 110 degree picture tubes from Philco were not an improvement as anyone with a Predicta would agree.
Maybe this is why Zenith held off on the skinny-set craze!

This also signaled Philco's descent to GE's level of quality in the late 50's. :thumbsdn:

radiotvnut
03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
I have a similar green Philco table model that had the trimpiece on it; but, I accidently broke it while moving it. From what I'm finding out, those trimpieces were very easily damaged.

VA561
03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I knew it wasn't going to be easy finding a replacement cover/trim piece for this set. That being said, I have found parts for other tvs on this forum that I thought would have been next to impossible to find. I hope someone out there has one as a spare or even a broken one that can be repaired. This set has a replacement picture tube, a TUNG-SOL. 21ZP4B. It has a great picture.

VA561
03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Can someone tell me what the small plastic window is just to the left of the channel knob? It has a pointer built in the metal plate on top of the window

bgadow
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
That window is for the UHF, if yours was equipped with it. I want to say that, on one I had, the indicator was there whether you had the converter installed or not. I've had a few similiar models, and managed to break the cover on two of them. I still have one trim piece with a little chunk missing. There were different versions, with some set up for a wider knob than others. I also have a NOS cover that I think is for a slightly newer version.

VA561
03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
A better picture.