View Full Version : My Motorola 12VT13 Restoration.

Dangler
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
I found this at the landfill about 15 years ago and dragged it home with no idea what I was going to do with it. The cabinet was in really bad shape and I didn't know if it could be saved or not.
About a year ago, I posted that I was looking for some knobs and a vertical output transformer. Mice had chewed on the transformer and I thought it was shot. banderson was kind enough to offer a transformer and some knobs if we could figure out what they looked like. After taking the chassis out, I decided to put it away until I had more time to work on it.

I decided to see what I could do with it starting just before Christmas last year. The chassis was a big mess with mice having lived in it for who knows how long. The cabinet just about fell apart after removing the chassis, I think that was about all that was holding it together.

I started recapping it and got as far as I could until I ran out of caps. I made a list and got some ordered and started on the cabinet in the meantime. The top had a large section of veneer missing on the top right side as well as a piece on one of the sides at the bottom.

I started regluing the main parts of the cabinet to give it some strength, then started removing the remaining veneer from the top. I wanted to save pieces as large as possible to patch the side and a few other small spots.

Most of the veneer came off pretty easy, but there was one section that I had to steam off. There was plenty of good sized pieces for patching.

Continued in the next post.

Dangler
03-09-2013, 11:34 PM
After some sanding, I applied new mahogany veneer to the top, and patched the side with veneer removed from the top.

I gave the cabinet a rest and started back on the chassis. I used CLR to remove as much crud and rust as possible. It's not pristine, but a lot better than it was.

The crt had a lot of the coating flaking off. After giving it a good scrubbing, I recoated it with Slip Plate. I was happy with the way it turned out.

Got some more caps and replaced the rest in the power supply and HV section. After checking and replacing a half dozen tubes, I decided to see where I was as far as working condition. I brought it up on a variac and was presented with a half a picture. Not too bad for a first try.

Some more caps and a couple of resistors later, I had a nice double picture. Getting closer, but still a ways to go. The crt looks pretty good.

Some more caps and I had a nice picture of Grandpa Amos and Pepino. I decided to replace all of the paper and wax caps as well as some bumblebees since there wasn't that many originals left, maybe 8 or 10.
To be continued.

bandersen
03-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Excellent job :thmbsp:

Dangler
03-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I got back to the cabinet and started stripping the finish and repairing some small veneer chips. After a lot of sanding, it was about ready for stain. For the top and lower portion of the sides, I used red mahogany stain. The lighter parts I used special walnut. The front was the same light and dark scheme.

I got back to the chassis while the cabinet was drying. I couldn't get the right side of the picture to quite fill out the screen after some more testing. There was a bumblebee hiding out behind a cluster of wires that I had overlooked. Replaced it and the raster filled the screen. It's getting so you can't trust any caps of any type.

The control plate finish was pretty scratched and corroded. I stripped the old finish off and cleaned the corrosion off. The lettering was pretty straight forwared as far as repainting since it was recessed. After that was done, a couple of coats of lacquer to protect it. I'll post pictures of it after the refinishing later.

Dangler
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Here are some pics of the control panel and what the shafts look like.

It was late January by the time I was ready to finish up the cabinet. I wanted to use lacquer but it was too cold in the garage so I went with four coats of tung oil, lightly sanding between each coat after drying.

Got everything reassembled, but the brackets on the chassis wouldn't line up withe the mounting holes. The crt was sitting about 1/2" too far to the front. There are 2 large springs that connect to the crt band and the yoke bracket that had to be removed in order to reposition the tube. They are not the most fun to get back on after removal. I repositioned the tube and gave it a test fit before hooking the springs back up.

After all that, it was pretty much done. I still need to find some knobs and make a back. I'll probably use perf board since that is all I have at the present.

The finish is not the best, but then I'm not a refinisher. All in all, I think it's not too bad considering what I started with. I kept it from being buried in the landfill and got it working. I'm happy with it and after all, that's all that really matters. :D

Dangler
03-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Sandy G was given one like mine and I attached a photo from a set found on the web showing the knobs that I need.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=256675

DavGoodlin
03-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Great job on that set. I have alot of knobs but those look very different than most Motorola knobs ive seen.

Zenith26kc20
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
I use one of those as a everyday driver. I recapped it, found a few bad resistors and a mica in the sound circuit and it has been a great performer. I used 1600 volt capacitors in the horizontal and vertical and it is STABLE from turn on to whenever I want it off!
It makes me feel good you saved it!