View Full Version : Anyone recognize this Westinghouse?

Kamakiri
02-27-2013, 05:56 AM
This is the only picture I've got. I know nothing about the condition of the set, other than this photo, and that I'm getting it in about two weeks, a friend is driving it up on his way to visit relatives......

Looks purty though :D

Carmine
02-27-2013, 07:06 AM
At least you can be sure, if it's a Westinghouse.

Kamakiri
02-27-2013, 07:52 AM
haw :D

Looks like a '52-'53 model. Found this video of a commerical for the set :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT_zvRy-s-M

DavGoodlin
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Good luck with the big W. I bet its an easy restore also. See if it was built in Metuchen NJ.

Betty Furness sure explained UHF strips well!
I saw a US map of of all the TV stations from 1952 at Radio-TV Museum in Bowie, MD. Its in the men's room, go figure.

There were 1-2 UHF stations in the smaller cities between larger cities, short-lived, with call letters matching the town's AM stations.
My guess is those "one-channel strips" worked better than variable tuners, being optimized for one channel.

WISCOJIM
02-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I saw a US map of of all the TV stations from 1952 at Radio-TV Museum in Bowie, MD. Its in the men's room, go figure.

There were 1-2 UHF stations in the smaller cities between larger cities, short-lived, with call letters matching the town's AM stations.

Were those actually working stations, or just licenses issued? Looking back in my locality, there were AM radio stations that also had license information for TV, but apparently never actually made it on the air.

Eric H
02-28-2013, 10:23 PM
It's similar to the Westinghouse used in this episode of I Love Lucy.
They were a sponsor at one point but perhaps not at this time because the name has been painted over on this set.

It appears at the 9 second mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJMcIbhTEzs

bgadow
03-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Good luck with the big W. I bet its an easy restore also. See if it was built in Metuchen NJ.

Betty Furness sure explained UHF strips well!

My guess is those "one-channel strips" worked better than variable tuners, being optimized for one channel.

I gotta remember to check that out next time I visit the museum-I wonder what they are hiding in the ladies room? :)

Einar72
03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I picked one of those up recently - but a table model. Looking forward to a resto someday...

Charlie
03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
I have a bunch of replacement channel selector knobs for that set. I always thought the knob looked quite large! I hope it doesn't have the dreaded 21EP4. Those are usually hard to find if you need a replacement... and seems they always need replacing.