View Full Version : sylvania sylouette

ggregg
02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Getting some snow today, nothing like some of you but getting close to 8" so far. So it's a good day to start recapping one of my Sylouettes. Recapped the power supply chassis and here is the first fire up. Halo works good, vertical locks, horizontal is really iffy, and sync is way off. Now on to the circuit board....

Geist
02-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi All;
My guess, is that you just tuned in the "Outer Limits"..
THANK YOU Marty

Ray Sieracki
02-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Great looking set's not seen very often

DavGoodlin
02-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Nice looking set with great halo function. I that a drawer underneath?

ggregg
02-11-2013, 05:40 AM
yeah but it's fake.

IsthmusTV
02-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Glad to see it coming to life, Greg. It looks really cool with the halo light on.

I kind of regret passing on that one, but I'm still glad that it got in the hands of someone who really appreciates it :yes:

-Clark in icy Madison.

akent36
02-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Be careful with the circuit boards as they are very chintzy and cannot be flexed or overheated when soldering without damage.

ggregg
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the warning. That's next to do.

ggregg
02-14-2013, 07:39 PM
recapped the circuit board last night. Actually was quite easy. Didn't have any issues with traces but I used my 40 watt pencil. Put her back together tonight, twisted a coupla knobs, and it's alive. Still needs a bit o tweeking but I'm very pleased so far.

IsthmusTV
02-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Very cool! The rest should be even easier.

-Clark

DavGoodlin
02-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Looks great!

Did you use solder wick, sucker or just heat and pull out the caps on the upper PC board?

I assume you completely recap'd the sweep (lower) chassis also?

ggregg
02-15-2013, 10:10 PM
I started using my sucker but it wasn't doing the trick so I used the wick. I kept doing it a little at a time to try to keep the board from getting too hot. Actually the circuit board was in good shape. I've worked on much worse. Only a tube or two had been changed. All original parts. It looks like it has low mileage. Under the HV cage looked as new, even all the wax was on the fly and not even cracked.

Yes, I did the sweep chassis and PS first. The first set of photos was after that.

Phil Nelson
02-16-2013, 12:42 AM
I think late 1950s PC boards (Predictas excluded) are pretty easy & fun to work on. Things are big enough to see and grasp without difficulty, unlike new PC boards.

After pulling out a lead and sucking away excess solder, I clear the hole by twirling the point of a wooden toothpick in it.

Phil Nelson

Geist
02-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi All;
I use something similiar, I use a long pin.. I put the pin in the middle of the hole, and using the iron, to heat both the pad and the pin, the pin heats the middle of the hole and with a little pressure creates a hole in the middle of the pad.. enabling the pad to be heated and then cleaned with wick or whatever..
THANK YOU Marty

ggregg
02-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Ran it for a hour tonight, watched the PM episode above. The case of the Sun Bathers Diary. The horizontal is still a little flaky so there is still some work to do. But overall, the picture is very good, and it didn't smoke or make any funny noises.

Glenz75
02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Congrats:thmbsp: Looking good, must be satisfying to seeing a stable picture on it, CRT looks healthy too!

ggregg
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I think I'm going to have to pull the sweep/ps chassis again. Something is pulling down the HV a little. Can't quite fill the screen, worse on right than left. Pin cushions seem fine. Swapped out the 1B3, Damper, 12DA6, and anything else related to horizontal, no change. Width control is a slug and works somewhat but even at max range doesn't fill the edge.

DavGoodlin
02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Do you need a schematic?
I have the factory one issued through Electronic Technician Magazine "circuit digest" which shows a rather simple horiz sweep ciruit with voltages and waveforms.
I assume yours is model 21C529 or similar with 1-541 chassis.

ggregg
02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I've got one, just haven't dived into it that far yet. Basically just a complete recap at this point. Thanks though.

ggregg
03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Played with the pincushion magnet on the one side and am able to pretty much eliminate the problem but the other side adjusts much easier. Can the magnet be a little weak on the one side? It was adjusted further in even before I adjusted it more. Have a little teeny tiny bit of a curve on the right side but was able to get it almost straight and still keep the picture full. Played for three hours and it's still fine.