View Full Version : rca dementia has no sound?

radiotron
01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
can anyone help me my rca dementia color tv has no sound

Jeffhs
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM

I'd check to see if the speaker(s) is (are) connected and is/are good. If so, the problem is due to a bad tube or component in the sound section of your TV, or, if your set has an input selector, that switch may be set to an input to which nothing is connected. Do not operate the TV for any length of time with no load on the audio output stage, as severe damage to the set's audio output transformer or other parts of the set, such as the audio output tube or transistor(s) may occur. I'm not familiar with this TV (never saw one except in RCA's ads for it when they were new), so don't know whether the audio section is tubed or solid state.

BTW: The proper spelling of the model name of this TV is "Dimensia". Dementia is a mental condition and has nothing to do with this or any TV.

lnx64
01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
If so, the problem is due to a bad tube or component in the sound section of your TV.

Did this series of TV from RCA even contain tubes at all? I thought by when this TV was released, solid state was everything by then.

Geoff Bourquin
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Never saw a Dimensia with tubes. They often have speaker on/off switches, either on the back or, sometimes on the front panel. There may also be a menu setting for speaker off. Maybe the switches got bumped, or are dirty.

Sandy G
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty Demented, & I DO make a LOT of Racket...See,I can say about ANYTHING I want to, & then Blame it on the Stroke...I ain't responsible, see ?!? (grin)

Eric H
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Regardless how it's spelled it was a rather unfortunate name choice for RCA.
Right up there with the Zenith Senility series. (OK, I made that one up)

samelliot
01-29-2013, 04:31 AM
Never saw a Dimensia with tubes. They often have speaker on/off switches, either on the back or, sometimes on the front panel. There may also be a menu setting for speaker off. Maybe the switches got bumped, or are dirty.

Yes, check the back panel. Ensure the switch is set to use the TV speaker as opposed to external.
Or, you could hook up an external speaker and see if that works.

radiotron
01-29-2013, 04:50 AM
sorry the problem was solved last night
back of the set was switched to external

ChrisW6ATV
01-29-2013, 11:05 PM

Right up there with the Zenith Senility series. (OK, I made that one up)
More than once, I have seen reference to RCA's "David Smirnoff Laboratories" here! Demented indeed. :D

Radiotron, I am glad you got the problem fixed, easily too.

Jeffhs
01-30-2013, 12:14 PM

It certainly does matter how the word is spelled. If you don't believe me (or what I said the definition is), look up "dementia" in the dictionary. You will find out the word has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with RCA's component televisions of the 1980s. However, I do agree that the word "Dimensia" was an extremely poor choice of model name on RCA's part for this series of TVs, the reason being the name is just too darn close to the word "dementia". I wonder just how RCA came up with the name in the first place, and for that matter, how many of these component TVs were sold when they were new. I bet the model name turned off a lot of prospective buyers right on the spot.

bgk283
01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
I always thought of it as the death knell for RCA.

samelliot
01-31-2013, 12:55 AM
It certainly does matter how the word is spelled. If you don't believe me (or what I said the definition is), look up "dementia" in the dictionary. You will find out the word has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with RCA's component televisions of the 1980s. However, I do agree that the word "Dimensia" was an extremely poor choice of model name on RCA's part for this series of TVs, the reason being the name is just too darn close to the word "dementia". I wonder just how RCA came up with the name in the first place, and for that matter, how many of these component TVs were sold when they were new. I bet the model name turned off a lot of prospective buyers right on the spot.

I read somewhere on the internet some lady at RCA came up with it because it was a new "Dimension" in A/V equipment.

If it's true or not, I don't know. But, interesting theory none-the-less.

Gunslinger
02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
there is also a speaker on/off in the audio menu