View Full Version : 1st generation GE variable reluctance cartridge w/ non-replaceable stylus

radiotvnut
01-10-2013, 11:15 PM
I recently bought one of those late '40's GE 78 rpm record players that uses their first generation VR magnetic cartridge with the non-replaceable stylus. It looks like the stylus on this one is shot and has anyone ever had luck with replacing one or would I be better off having the cartridge rebuilt? I'd like to keep the original cartridge, if possible.

Here's the video I made of the record player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTojLeCIprs

maxhifi
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Very cool.... Don't see one of those every day, in fact I've never seen one. You've got your work cut out for you though, this will be like restoring an old car which had a tree growing through it!

pallophotophone
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi,
I used to work on these cartridges all the time.

Seems to me, if I remember correctly, that if you remove the cartridge from the tonearm, you will find a hole that can be used to push the stylus assembly out of the cartridge. If there is no hole, the stylus isn't removable.

A stout paperclip ought to do the trick. Be careful when reinstalling the replacement so as to get the shank centered between the fingers! There is no key way in the cartridge to make this automatic.

The set is a good performer. So are the models with a Am-Fm (old and new bands) and shortwave radio and television. The sets with a single 6V6 are not bad.

Best,

Bob Hodge

radiotvnut
01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I also have an AM/SW/78 rpm record changer console that uses this cartridge. You would have thought that on the consoles, they would have at least added FM.

KentTeffeteller
02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Some of their consoles did have FM. Especially models popular in certain areas. In that era, the FM band was transitioning from the old band to the new band.