View Full Version : Ntsc to pal conversion (vhs)

soundman2
01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
HI ALL:thmbsp:

I own a couple of NTSC VHS video tapes that I would love to convert over to my Panasonic HDD recorder and then burn them as DVD's. I have just looked on Ebay and I notice you can get a compact NTSC to PAL converter. When I play these tapes back on my VCR it kicks the TV over to NTSC (or is it PAL 60?)

Anyway, what I would like to know is, are these little converters any good? :scratch2: BTW, the NTSC VHS movies I have are "Special Bulletin" & "FM".

NJRoadfan
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
They are generally rubbish. To properly convert between the formats usually requires very expensive format converters. Your best bet would be to burn them as NTSC DVDs and let your displays do the work. Your TVs and DVD players are likely multistandard to begin with and would have no problem playing back a NTSC disc.

Both movies you listed did see official DVD release (likely Region 1/NTSC only), but may be very difficult to find. The quality would be leaps and bounds better then even the best VHS transfer would. "Best" meaning being done on a high end VCR with time-base correction and noise reduction, plus restoration with computer software post capture.

soundman2
01-06-2013, 04:11 AM
You are right! Those VHS movies I have did have a Region 1 DVD release, but the tapes are becoming very rare now and that's why I don't play them much. So you don't think much of those little converters? Are they really that bad? Oh, dear.

I have just missed out on an Aiwa multi-standard VCR which would have done the job very well. Back to ye olde drawing board! :) :)

KentTeffeteller
01-06-2013, 08:01 AM
I'd hunt down a multi-standard VCR like a good Panasonic or JVC.

Ed in Tx
01-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Or find one of the Aiwa HV-MX 1 , HV MX100, Samsung SV-5000, SV-7000 multistandard VCRs to borrow long enough to convert your old tapes.

I used to get all those models in the shop to repair, last ones actually manufactured I think were the Samsung SV-5000, 7000 models.

soundman2
01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
The problem is those multi system VCR's are getting thin on the ground as well. Looked on Ebay but can only find them from the USA or Canada. Still, I'm not giving up, I'm sure something will come along! :) :)

soundman2
01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
I have found a UK company that sells their own converter. Not cheap at £50, but having e-mailed them I am assured they sell a GENUINE product (it's a small field-store converter) that will just about handle anything. They've sold quite a few, so they must work!

Anyway, I'll let you know my results in a few days or so.

NJRoadfan
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
They work, but look like utter crap once there is any motion on the screen (judder central!). Capture NTSC and burn a NTSC DVD. Your players and TV will work fine with them. Also, if your problem is that you don't have a NTSC VHS deck to play the tapes back, a box won't solve your problem! You need a proper NTSC (or multi system) VCR before even starting this job.

soundman2
01-08-2013, 06:12 AM
It is said that the proof of the pudding is in the eating of it. So when this thing arrives I'll give it a good try out. Like I posted before, trying to find a multistandard VCR is very difficult, but I'm keeping an ear to the ground. :)

ppppenguin
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Many European VCRs will play NTSC tapes but the output is the strange hybrid PAL60 standard. This is 525/60 but with PAL443 colour. Most TVs will accept this. If you are lucky so will some video capture cards. Certainly some of the decoder chips that are used in TVs etc will which gives some hope.

True multistandard VCRs are rare in the UK.

soundman2
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
OK! The converter arrived today and I have to say on first impressions it works very well. No smearing/blurring even on my Panasonic 37" LCD. Conclusion: very happy with my purchase. At least I will now have PAL dvd's of my NTSC tapes. :)