View Full Version : Kuba Komet on Ebay

Josef
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.ebay.at/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110992845286&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AT:1123

Greetings and a happy new year!

decojoe67
01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it sets. I personally love it! One of the coolest and widest sets ever made in my opinion. "Atomic Age", "Mid-Century", "Jetsons" - it's hard to narrow down how to describe it, but it just screams "'50's!"

Sandy G
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
I dunno...If I had one, I'd likely come home Loaded one night, get into a Fight w/it, trip, & end up impailin' myself on one of the sails...

ggregg
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
now that's funny......:D

It will be interesting to see what it sells for, if it sells. That is one of the most awesome pieces of electronic marvel ever made, anytime, by anybody.

Sandy G
01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Hmmmmm...That DOES NOT look like the "Original" CRT that was installed in the ones I've seen...They are more "rounded" in the style of the late Fifties/early Sixties....That CRT ALMOST looks like a later "Color" CRT...

wa2ise
01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
..That DOES NOT look like the "Original" CRT ...That CRT ALMOST looks like a later "Color" CRT...

In one of the pictures at that auction, you can see that the CRT doesn't fit the bezel. Surely a BPC set sitting there. :thumbsdn:

Phil Nelson
01-02-2013, 08:39 PM
You could always email the seller and ask.

The ETF Komet page has a few photos for comparison.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/kuba.html

Phil Nelson

StellarTV
01-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Gorgeous. It's funny how so many of those German radios from that period all look essentially the same with the two large knobs and the 'piano key' style selectors, regardless of manufacturer.... Grundig, Braun, Telefunken, etc, but Imperial is a new one on me. There are others too of minor manufacture with the same layout whose names I can't recall at the moment.

Eric H
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
They were produced from 1957 to 1962 so I would guess this is a later one with a bigger squarer CRT?

I think whether it's attractive or not depends a lot on the Home it's in.

In the typical 1500-1800 sq foot American Ranch Style house of the late fifties it would look out of place, OTOH if you happened to live in a small Mansion with a late 50's Modernist design then it would look pretty good.

I Think the bottom half of one would make a dandy stand for a Flat Screen!

Down Under
01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
We wants it! We wants it!
We will put it into our pocketses!
It would become our new preciousssss.....

Dangler
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Dieses Angebot wurde beendet.

The seller ended the auction early.

Gutentag!

Sandy G
01-03-2013, 06:12 AM
1957-62 ? They MIGHT have done better here in the States if they'd put a Roundie color set in it...I dunno if they even tried to sell 'em here...The market would have been, I think, EXTREMELY limited...And while it woulda been "The Bee's Knees" in 1959, by '65 or so, it would have been as out-of-place looking as a '59 Caddy was, w/its rocketship fins 'n' all., & the tastes had become a BIT more "Sober".

Reece
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
The piece on the Early Television site is in error. It states that an option was a magnetophon wire recorder. Wire recorders were around for only a few years at the end of the war and very early fifties, quickly supplanted by tape recorders, and the Kuba Komet was produced from '57 to '62. Magnetophon in German refers also to tape recorders. The optional magnetophon available for the Kuba Komet is listed as a Telefunken 75-T, which is clearly a 1/4" tape recorder as shown here.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunken_magnetophon_75t75.html?language_id=2

Josef
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
This set is original in my opinion. Kuba advertised the TV chassis with following words: 4 diodes, 22 tubes, printed circuit board.
Here you can see a working TV with a rectangular CRT from a museum:

http://www.radiomuseum-remseck.de/de/museum/_images/komet2.jpg

The seller also didn't stop the auction before it's planned ending. I forgot to post the link earlier, what does not matter because the set was not sold :tresbon:
I'm sure it will be offered for a lower price soon.

Greetings

Phil Nelson
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Yes, I believe that Komets originally had rectangular CRTs, like most B/W TVs of their time. The first time I saw the ETF's set, it had been recently acquired and was still disassembled, showing a rectangular CRT.

In one of the eBay photos, you can see that the CRT is pushed back somewhat from the mask. Whether that's the original CRT or something else, I couldn't guess from such a partial view.

Phil Nelson

cbenham
01-04-2013, 12:26 AM
http://www.ebay.at/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110992845286&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AT:1123

Greetings and a happy new year!

Why does Vk truncate the eBay URLs?

It appears like this in the post:
http://www.ebay.at/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....:B:WNA:AT:1123

Note the section missing in the middle.

Or is it my PC?

Thanks for any help.
Cliff

Phil Nelson
01-04-2013, 12:57 AM
There's nothing wrong with your PC. The forum software automatically truncates the displayed (and highlighted) representation of a URL when it exceeds a certain length. This is done to reduce visual clutter for very long URLs.

The actual (full-length) URL is hidden in the HTML code that makes up the page. When you click on the shortened display, your browser goes to the actual URL. You can see how this works if you view the HTML source for this page, but that's only interesting to HTML geeks.

For some time now, all eBay links shown in VK are dead unless you right-click on the link and choose Open. Don't ask me why this happens. It may be related to the forum software that automatically highlights and makes links out of certain commercial words and phrases.

Phil Nelson

Geoff Bourquin
01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
For some time now, all eBay links shown in VK are dead unless you right-click on the link and choose Open. Don't ask me why this happens. It may be related to the forum software that automatically highlights and makes links out of certain commercial words and phrases.

Phil Nelson
That's interesting. I can left-click them and the Ebay page opens in a new tab. Maybe it has something to do with your browser settings or security software. I'm running OpenSuse 11.4 with Firefox 16.0.2 on a Gnome 2.something desktop.

I also noticed that the CRT in that Komet doesn't seem to fit the mask properly. I wonder why...:scratch2:

ohohyodafarted
01-04-2013, 11:33 PM
It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it sets. I personally love it! One of the coolest and widest sets ever made in my opinion. "Atomic Age", "Mid-Century", "Jetsons" - it's hard to narrow down how to describe it, but it just screams "'50's!"

Just to balance the discussion I will play "devils advocate" and express my opinion that this is an example of a seriously deranged and misguided designer. I guess he never heard the widely accepted design axiom "form follows function" There is absolutely no way the design of this product has any relationship to it's function. IMHO the Kuba Komet sucks the big one.:thumbsdn::puke:

I will never have any German made electronics of this era in my collection. My dad owned a German table radio of this era, I think it was a Blaupunkt. It was the most God awful nightmare of crap to work on of anything I ever got into. Seemed like they spent more money on gimmicks like push buttons and fancy mirror polish lacquered cabinets, and on the inside, simple components like tube sockets and other basics were of poor quality that suffered badly from heat decomposition.

Now all those of you who are lovers of German stuff, please don't get your knickers in a bind. This is just one mans opinion; Mine. And I have the ability to express my disdane for the Kuba Komet just as you have the right to sing it's praises.

Have you seen the newly posted "Bob's Bunker" construction pages? Construction is on hold due to cold winter weather setting in; but I posted the stills from day 1 till we had to stop construction till spring.
http://antiquetvguy.com/Web%20Pages/Bob%27s%20Bunker/Bob%27s%20Bunker%20The%20Story.html

Sandy G
01-05-2013, 07:52 AM
The Germans DO have an unfortunate tendency to take something simple & make something FIENDISHLY complex out of it.

Down Under
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
The Germans DO have an unfortunate tendency to take something simple & make something FIENDISHLY complex out of it.

Soooo true. I like the Komet, but I'd bet that the internals were awful. I used to repair appliances for a living and Miele dishwashers are so complicated compared to most others. They seem to have a philosophy "why use one part when we can use 15?" :(