View Full Version : Superior Instruments 660-A signal generator

DavGoodlin
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have a schematic for this unit or a working example? There's three tubes. One looks like a 6CB6 but has only a 6-digit number stamped on its shoulder "6B1000", a 6C4 and a JAN-CNU 7193, octal triode with two top caps - one plate, one grid tied together and funtioning as the rectifier.

See link for photo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superior-Instruments-Vacuum-Tube-Signal-Generator-660-A-AS-IS-cut-cord-/300807987985

It works OK but does not modulate a tone onto the output. I see two transistors in the audio output circuit, one of which broke off its leads. The transistors are Raytheon CK721, an early PNP-germanium type. I can replace them with ECG-102s and see what happens, but they were added later by the looks..:scratch2:

Dangler
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Bama has one for a 670-A. Don't know if it would be similar or not.

DavGoodlin
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Not similar, the 670 A is a different machine altogether, and more like a TV analyst in that it also has FM and generates Horiz and Vert sweep signals.

The 660-A is very basic, just an AM unit ranging from 100khz to 13 mhz. I have a Hickock 277X that has many more features

dieseljeep
01-02-2013, 08:22 PM
That was equipment that was sold on the back cover of Popular Electronics. To me, It was comical to see what they used to make some of this equipment. I have a TV pattern generator, that is simular to a color generator, only produces horizontal or vertical lines. It used that high frequency triode and two acorn tubes.
I have a Genometer that has that 6B1000 and someother dual triode type and that rectifier 7193. Some of the other parts are Philco surplus.
I bought it for the knobs and the power transformer.

DavGoodlin
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
A little persistence turned this up;

This one is ORIGINAL and has two 6BE6 and a 6H6 as the rectifier....interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIoHR7pq6U

My unit was heavily modified with an on-board, fixed frequency modulator powered by a battery. Not only that, the attenuator switch was replaced with a pot to adjust the modulation level.

It seems like finding a schematic to return it to original may be a long shot. I just plan to do the alignment as per the video using a frequency counter.