View Full Version : Stainless-steel on a GE 800?

decojoe67
01-01-2013, 06:48 PM
I aquired a '48 GE 800 "locomotive" recently. The chassis was completely restored, but the cabinet was "as found" needing only a mild cleaning and the usual polishing of the bakelite. To my suprise it seems the metal control plate is stainless-steel! I did research on these and found most are either brass, or a rather flat looking aluminum. Mine shines exactly like stainless and a magnet is not attracted to it! No one one on ARF has seen another like it. The striations in the metal is natural. No harsh buffing was done at all. Kind of unusual huh?
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m554/decojoe67/DSC00295_zpse7adf02a.jpg

jr_tech
01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Chrome plated brass?

jr

decojoe67
01-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Chrome plated brass?

jr

I really don't think so. Look at those striations. It has the exact tone and look of my stainless kitchen sink! I also doubt GE would have took the expense to plate a piece of metal. I've seen brass and aluminum, so I guess it's not too much of a stretch to believe they used stainless at one point.

cwmoser
01-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Did you scratch the eschrutcheon on the back side to see if it is brass colored?

Sure does look like stainless steel.
If it is stainless, you sure do have an unusual 805.

Carl

decojoe67
01-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Did you scratch the eschrutcheon on the back side to see if it is brass colored?

Sure does look like stainless steel.
If it is stainless, you sure do have an unusual 805.

Carl

The guys on ARF mentioned to do that, but the set was apart so many times through the cleaning and reso. that I'm hesitant to do it again. Also, I am quite sure (99%) at this point that it is not plated. I can do the scratch test just to eliminate the possibilty, but I am pretty sure what I have is stainless-steel. I just have to find someone with another like it! So far it hasn't happened.
One thing for sure, the stainles looks awesome against the dark polished bakelite!
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m554/decojoe67/DSC00284.jpg

John Marinello
01-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Stainless steel is profoundly more rigid than brass and aluminum. That alone should give you a clue.

decojoe67
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Stainless steel is profoundly more rigid than brass and aluminum. That alone should give you a clue.

There's not a single dent in it other than the factory stamping marks where it was attached, so that's a good indication of it being strong.

earlyfilm
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
'48 GE 800 "locomotive" . . . . . seems the metal control plate is stainless-steel!

Don't know, but I'd assume that you have an early production set before GE reduced the manufacturing cost.

I guess that Bob Anderson does not want to brag, but he also has a GE with a silver-colored front plate:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70039806@N00/4648472567/in/set-72157624032974455/

Some of those knob plates went so ugly during the set's life that they were refinished. Since the lettering was indented, it was easily done.

James

decojoe67
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Don't know, but I'd assume that you have an early production set before GE reduced the manufacturing cost.

I guess that Bob Anderson does not want to brag, but he also has a GE with a silver-colored front plate:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70039806@N00/4648472567/in/set-72157624032974455/

Some of those knob plates went so ugly during the set's life that they were refinished. Since the lettering was indented, it was easily done.

James

James, you were fooled too, as I was. If you look closely you'll see the distinct difference in Bob's and mine. Bob's has the typical duller aluminum finish. Take a close look at mine and you'll see how much brighter it is - and the natural "brushed" striations in mine.
I definately attest to my set being a complete virgin when I first aquired it. All original caps and tubes - even the original felt pads under the controls!and no signs of a collector touching the cabinet.

Whirled One
01-06-2013, 03:29 PM
If a magnet is not attracted to it, then it's not stainless steel. It's probably either aluminum or plated brass.

Nice look though! Definitely doesn't look like the usual finish for the control panel on that set.

Kevin Kuehn
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Stainless doesn't naturally have striations in the finish. What you see on a stainless sink is a brushed finish that was created in the manufacturing. I'd be more inclined to believe this is nickle plating over brass. Polished nickle looks almost identical to chrome if it's clear coated to resist tarnish. Nickle would also explain why some end up looking like dull aluminum after being exposed to the elements for many years.

Kevin Kuehn
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Ebony Zeniths also came with a polished nickle over brass dial bezel. http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149734

Eric H
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
If a magnet is not attracted to it, then it's not stainless steel. It's probably either aluminum or plated brass.

Actually higher grade Stainless Steel is not magnetic.

decojoe67
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. One thing is for sure, it really does have a different look than others that I've seen.

Tom Albrecht
01-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Why not pop the front off and do the scratch test? No set comes apart more easily than a Locomotive. Just two screws on the front to get the front off. 30 seconds and it's done.

decojoe67
01-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Why not pop the front off and do the scratch test? No set comes apart more easily than a Locomotive. Just two screws on the front to get the front off. 30 seconds and it's done.

Thanks Tom. I just have to get the chance to do it.
Joe