View Full Version : Replacing Selenium Rectifiers

cdmarion
12-15-2012, 10:46 AM
After reading the following article I'm a little confused as to how to wire in my silicon diode, here's a link to the article,

http://www.w3hwj.com/index_files/RBSelenium2.pdf

It states "The AC wire is the one that had been connected to the unmarked or minus (-) terminal of
the selenium device. Now connect it to the unmarked side of the silicon diode. Connect the (+)
terminal of the first filter capacitor to the free
end of the resistor"

Now, when I check for AC voltages at my Selenium Rectifier it is the + side of the rectifier that has 6.38VAC. and the (-) side that has DC voltage.

It appears to be the opposite of what the article describes.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

cdmarion
12-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Oops!! I meant to post this thread on the Black and White forum. Sorry.

Celt
12-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Moved...duplicate thread deleted.

old_coot88
12-15-2012, 11:51 AM
The banded end of the silicon diode denotes the cathode.
The "+" terminal of the selenium device also denotes the cathode, which is a mite confusing as you've noted. It's simply saying "B plus is derived from here", same as the cathode of a vacuum diode or banded end of a silicon diode.

cdmarion
12-15-2012, 04:00 PM
The banded end of the silicon diode denotes the cathode.
The "+" terminal of the selenium device also denotes the cathode, which is a mite confusing as you've noted. It's simply saying "B plus is derived from here", same as the cathode of a vacuum diode or banded end of a silicon diode.

Thanks for the help, I've got the new diode and resistor in and no pops or flames.:thmbsp::thmbsp: