View Full Version : 2 Minute clip of First taped colour program!!

Dude111
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
This is quite incredible!! (Notice how good it looks)

http://users8.jabry.com/dude111/13323.wmv

The program is a special that NBC originally aired on "Television Tape" from Burbank on Oct 17 1958!

vinljnkie
11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
That entire show is on You Tube including all the commercials in 5 parts. The first part is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lghtn6LttCQ

Dave A
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
This program was restored by one of our members here a few years ago in an amazing reverse engineering of a 2" tape machine retrotfitted to play "RCA Color"...an early proprietary version of color recording by RCA with NTSC color tape yet to come.

Regretfully, the restoration of the complete show is locked down by the widow of the star.

A few versions of a VHS copy of the restored program did leak out and this is what you see.

And any time I can see Barrie Chase is a good day.

Sandy G
11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Wow.. Amazing..

ctc17
11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
This is cool,very classy. Maybe i will put it all together into one long video and repost it.

Dude111
11-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Now that would be awesome :)

magnasonic66
11-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Sorry the widow is such a pill, I'd love to have the whole show on DVD.

Update: Just finished watching the whole business, it was fabulous! Seeing the cars was every bit as entertaining as the rest of the show! I love music and dancing, and vintage cars, so I was quite satisfied! Here's hoping all of the rescued early color video makes it to DVD someday.

Dude111
07-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I would love having this whole show IN WMV FORMAT or even on VHS! (WMV format plays better for me usually)

dtvmcdonald
07-24-2013, 08:51 AM
What I noticed most is that, except for one circle on the floor,
there is no green! That's one reason everybody uses Wizard of Oz ...
lots of green.

Doug McDonald

bluenorm
07-24-2013, 08:04 PM
at 4.22 part one there is big shadow to the right of the screen and there is someone carrying a cable. are they moving a tk41 camera into place? any comments.

egrand
07-25-2013, 01:52 AM
That show was a huge success. It had very high ratings and won several emmy awards. Chrysler urged their dealers to have viewing parties in their showrooms and bring in color TV's just for the event.

It also encouraged Astaire to do two more in the next two years, Another Evening with Fred Astaire(1959) and Astaire Time (1960). I think all three were shown on the Disney channel many years ago and I have a bootleg tape of them. The second one, Another Evening, has missing segments of tape filled in with b/w kinescope. I personally think it is the best of the three shows, more entertaining and Astaire is much more relaxed and funny in it.

Astaire's success with the first convinced Gene Kelly to do his own special in '59, which was sponsored by Pontiac. Here's a couple of clips from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx04DP6TEcw&feature=share&list=PL8148FE1D27BB074A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfjKbS5zOro&feature=share&list=PL8148FE1D27BB074A

kramden66
07-25-2013, 02:17 AM
would like a dvd or vhs of this , i don't care for watching things on a computer

mike

sweitzel
07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I pulled the 5 segments off of youtube, cut out the inter-titles put in by the original uploader, and edited them all together. I exported an 880 megabyte WMV file and a 3gb DVD disc image that can be burned to a recordable DVD. The disc image has chapters ever 5 minutes, as well as at commercial breaks. PM me for a download link.

Joel Cairo
07-27-2013, 01:39 AM
That show was a huge success. It had very high ratings and won several Emmy awards. Chrysler urged their dealers to have viewing parties in their showrooms and bring in color TVs just for the event.

It also encouraged Astaire to do two more in the next two years, Another Evening with Fred Astaire(1959) and Astaire Time (1960). I think all three were shown on the Disney channel many years ago and I have a bootleg tape of them. The second one, Another Evening, has missing segments of tape filled in with b/w kinescope. I personally think it is the best of the three shows, more entertaining and Astaire is much more relaxed and funny in it.

The first is still easily my favorite-- I think it's because it's the only one of the three that's live, and as a result, it just **crackles** with energy.

And for the record, the version of the show that was posted on YouTube is the NBC encore (rerun) performance from 1959.

- Kevin