View Full Version : What do I need to know?

radio nut
11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
As time goes on I am more comfortable with black and white tv's. I have been doing radios for well over ten years. Do I have any electronics education...nope.

Color tv with gray scale set up....purity...convergence...burst amps.. and the such seems to put them out of my league.

If I come across a tubed color set .....besides tubes and caps and out of tolerance resistors.....and possibly bad coil or such.....how much harder is a color set? I feel intimidated now and I do not even have one.

I "assume" if I do not have to put a crt in it purity and convergence should be good...right?

Am I mentally making this too difficult or is color set restoration something I can be talked through..

And yes I did hit the wrong link and put this post in the wrong spot.......Starting out well, huh?

ctc17
11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
I find tube color sets one of the most challenging things to get working right. Thats what keeps me going on them. Nothing to be shy about though. Give it a shot, there are plenty of people here who can help you. So long as you understand basic circuits and have some test equipment you can get it to work.
If you find one on craigslist or something dont hesitate to grab it. Better you destroy it learning than someone make a fishtank out of it.

Sandy G
11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Just take it easy...DON'T get flummoxed...You likely have MOST of the skills you need already...There is an INCREDIBLE wealth & depth of knowlege right here...And from what I've seen, they are VERY willing to share it !

radio nut
11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
I find tube color sets one of the most challenging things to get working right. Thats what keeps me going on them. Nothing to be shy about though. Give it a shot, there are plenty of people here who can help you. So long as you understand basic circuits and have some test equipment you can get it to work.
If you find one on craigslist or something dont hesitate to grab it. Better you destroy it learning than someone make a fishtank out of it.

Ok, will do. I have done about 7 tv's and with a diagram giving pin to pin voltages I am getting better at repairing them. At first I was leery and nervous about trying one.....So many components compared to a radio.
Plus I heard they have deadly voltages in them.
Now having done a couple....yes getting "bit" a few times I now realize what to avoid when running and its not so big of a deal.

But Man, to have a color tubed set ....wow!

ctc17
11-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Tube TVs are like stray cats, once you adopt one they start finding you, showing up by the dozens. I bet I have 50 tube color sets now, would you like to adopt one!?!? They have all their shots and are neutered....

I find the deadliness and wholesale replacement of caps and that to be greatly exaggerated. Yes they will bite and may even burn little holes in you if you touch the wrong thing.
I just fix whats wrong with them and they work great.

Sandy G
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Yeah, this hobby is MOST "Unusual" in the number of "Waifs or Orphans" that find YOU..There is NO WAY I should have the number of "Esoteric" sets & oddball radios I SHOULD have-But I do...Kinda strange how THEY end up findin' "YOU"...And a lot of mine found ME B4 the Internet & Ebay..

radio nut
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
well, the worst bite I had was off of an Apex radio. It was the first radio I worked on for someone else and only my second project ever.. the wiring underneath was completely burned up. I called and talked with a guy from Dayton Ohio and he told me to mark which wires went to the transformer and remove it. Then had me tell him pin to pin resistances which he said were ok, then hook up a power cord and plug it in and leave it sit for a while. Told me to then see if it was hot to the touch and check voltages and let him know.

He said he wanted to see if the tranny was shorted out.

Well, It sat there alright.....I left it alone for a couple of hours.....went by it and noticed a small piece of wire from one pin almost touching another...

I forgot it was plugged in and tried to move the wire and Oh Boy!!!!
It flashed burned by skin and hurt like_______!!!!

When I did measure the voltages one pin I hit was 365 volts and the other 730 Volts.
Talk about learning a lesson!

tvtimeisfun
11-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Hey since I am colorblindcolor sets are harder for me to repair because setting greyscale is not for me so I just reair the black and whites I can do color if some one is trustworthy to helpwith the convergance...Timothy

radio nut
11-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Tube TVs are like stray cats, once you adopt one they start finding you, showing up by the dozens. I bet I have 50 tube color sets now, would you like to adopt one!?!? They have all their shots and are neutered....

I find the deadliness and wholesale replacement of caps and that to be greatly exaggerated. Yes they will bite and may even burn little holes in you if you touch the wrong thing.
I just fix whats wrong with them and they work great.

I am kind of curious.....I am in Ohio... Some of my tv's have sat outside under an overhang exposed to the elements. I (for the most part) have yet to see maybe more than 5 or 6 paper caps be any good at the voltage printed on them yet. I even have HAD to replace many ceramics. Could storage conditions add to this? I don't know what kind of winters and summer humidity you have in Calif. I have repaired one radio in which all of the caps , even electro's tested good at 600 volts.
That was a 1927 or 28 Graybar. I still remember that the caps were all in cans and they were just big folded in half squares and tested good after I dug them out of the wax they were in.

marty59
11-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote: "I "assume" if I do not have to put a crt in it purity and convergence should be good...right?

Am I mentally making this too difficult or is color set restoration something I can be talked through.."

First question: No. If your lucky at a minimum the yoke slid back and needs to be moved forward, or it can be too far to begin with. Convergence can change too. Drive voltages, raster size and variances in line voltage from when the set was built/serviced last can all be a factor.

Purity is a piece of cake but pretty much required. Convergence, you can eyeball the static (center) but you'll never be happy until you get a generator and a degausing coil. Howard Sams set up procedures are pretty straightforward.

So no reason banging your head. You've got the aptitude and the basics. Just more to deal with on a color set and remember the one hand rule and take your time. Frustrated or tired? Time to call it a day!

marty59
11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I am kind of curious.....I am in Ohio... Some of my tv's have sat outside under an overhang exposed to the elements. I (for the most part) have yet to see maybe more than 5 or 6 paper caps be any good at the voltage printed on them yet. I even have HAD to replace many ceramics. Could storage conditions add to this? I don't know what kind of winters and summer humidity you have in Calif. I have repaired one radio in which all of the caps , even electro's tested good at 600 volts.
That was a 1927 or 28 Graybar. I still remember that the caps were all in cans and they were just big folded in half squares and tested good after I dug them out of the wax they were in.

Moisture and extreme cold is not a friend to flybacks!
There's a lot of open land in Lima for those cold blizzards to blow through!