View Full Version : Ctc-12

DaveWM
11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
this is the nice looking CTC-12 I picked up in Jax. It was extremely clean, clearly a non smoker and a inside set its whole life. Very plain jane faux wood single speaker, VHF only set. the faux wood is mint. When I got it I oped up the fly cage, to be rewarded with NO fly, just cut out with little care. the original plan was to take a working CTC-15 with a ruff cabinet and just swap the chassis, but the way the vert out is mounted in the 15 would not let it fit inside the 12 cabinet (I suppose I could swap out the degauss holder which I think is the only thing messing it up, but I figured I may as well get the 12 running as I like those chassis better).

I was also missing the focus coil, focus cap, and the 47meg load resistor (I had a 66 meg but decided I may as well use the correct parts). I had a correct coil but not the 130pf and 47meg 1 watt, found them at talon, so they are on the way. I prob could have rigged up some caps (I had 39pf 6kv) in p but I hate doing hack work.

I spent some time observing how a 12 is connected to the focus coil/yoke/damper, so I have a pretty good idea of how its supposed to go.

The chassis looks pretty unmolested, so I will do a slow power up montitoring the B+ volt/current and the HOT current when I get the fly back together.

The only repair I could see was where one of the jumper wires that normally runs on the top of the chroma board was missing, but found it installed on the bottom of the pcb. These wires frequently corrode and break resulting in a hue on the screen like one of the screen drives is turned all the way up. I may install it correctly if I need to do any cap replacement, which is typical on the difference amp grid coupling caps that get lossy from the heat.

there are a couple of the white ceramic tube caps I will cut the AC bypass cap out so it does not explode on me, will leave the others alone for now. I cant really test them as my cap tester does not go up that high, but I have left them alone in some sets and they are fine (not the ac bypass but the ones on the audio out and vert out primaries.

I tested the CRT by sticking in a working CTC-16 chassis just to see how the CRT looked, it tested not so good but is seemed to make a pretty good pic so maybe my tester is not so good. The best test for a CRT is in use anyway.

I had to splice on some wire to the focus and the red yoke lead, as it had been cut short by the hack tech that removed the fly. I was careful to make a neat splice and then slipped 3 layers of heat shrink over the spice.

the boost and damper connections were also cut short, but I will just replace the full length there as there are no connectors/sockets involved. I need to splice the bottom coil as the wire from the fly is connected under the covering (not a tab to solder too) and of course that wire was cut short as well.

Lastly there is a wire that comes from the sweep board that connects to where the focus load resistor should be grounded. I never noticed this on any other RCA sets, earlier sets had pots (no coil) and later sets used a boost diode to supply voltage for the vert sweep. Another reason to use the correct resistor (47 meg) I suppose.

I really like this set for its size, its not any bigger than a metal cabinet, and the CRT looks like a bonded face with NO cat, imagine that.

hi_volt
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Pictures?

DaveWM
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Picture later, working on fixing now.

ctc17
11-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Kind of a bizarre post. Next are we going to hear your tiolet bugs voted for the xbox 360 because it promised to buy them a new tv stand that will keep them warm?

Anyhow, you took plenty of those caps, focus pots and resistors home when we cleaned that place up. if you used them Im sure I have more around here I can send you.

DaveWM
11-06-2012, 07:30 AM
I could not find any of those in my stash, I did have some 66megs but none of the 47meg. I got them pretty cheap at talon, should be here soon. I know its a long post, just sharing observations on the set chassis. One other thing i noted was it used the crystal in a tube for the burst crystal. Its just nice having a set from a smoke free enviroment for a change.

timmy
11-06-2012, 11:51 AM
it is nice to get a set from someone that didnt smoke it is disgusting. i have a 66 motorola and it still smells like smoke as its burned in on every component. this motorola must have had someone sit for hours with it on with a cloud of smoke around it. i smoke but only outside and not in the house but i can go to someones house and smell it. you would think this would get me to quit,lol...:smoke:

ctc17
11-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Menthol 100s extra tar full flavor non filter ultra slim alive with pleasure flavor country.
Lick the flyback and anode cap for best results.

Glenz75
11-06-2012, 08:59 PM
LOL! Now thats funny! My kind of humour :thmbsp:

Menthol 100s extra tar full flavor non filter ultra slim alive with pleasure flavor country.

wa2ise
11-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I have a 66 motorola and it still smells like smoke as its burned in on every component. :smoke:

Sure that isn't from all the cigarette commercials they aired back in the day? :D

timmy
11-07-2012, 05:20 AM

LOL,LOL YUK.....:banana: lmfao

Sandy G
11-07-2012, 06:53 AM
I wish ANYBODY who smokes could have a talk w/my mom...Oh, that's right, they CAN'T, she died in Aug 208 from Emphysema & COPD...She was born in 1925, started smoking when she was about 15, smoked like a chimney till '77, when she got hypnotised..But it was too late, she started showing signs of COPD about 15 yrs later.

timmy
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I wish ANYBODY who smokes could have a talk w/my mom...Oh, that's right, they CAN'T, she died in Aug 208 from Emphysema & COPD...She was born in 1925, started smoking when she was about 15, smoked like a chimney till '77, when she got hypnotised..But it was too late, she started showing signs of COPD about 15 yrs later.

yes your right, it is a bad habit thats hard to kick.:tears:

ctc17
11-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Look at the vice that has replaced smoking with the youth, wireless devices. I would bet that 20 years down the line all these kids that have that thing pressed against their head for hours every day will have some form of cancer.

77 is a good age, most of us will never make it that far even if we take care of ourselves.

consoleguy67
11-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Lick the flyback! That will get you to quit!

rcaman
11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
i quit 3 1/2 years ago it f$$k*ig stinks. went to an estate sale saturday the furniture in the yard you could smell nicotine everywhere. 3 recliners sold for $5.00 combined. nuff said

Einar72
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I was puffing away on a menthol Benson & Hedges in my taxi one day, and my fare said "those make you BLEED inside" (her emphasis). That was 1976. I didn't smoke cigarettes again til my divorce began in 2005. Then it was months of Swisher Sweets!

Sandy G
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I go kinda OVERBOARD on smoking 'cause my Mom died SO Hard... Emphysema is a nice, quiet, EASY way to die...It just kills you a Little Bit every day, nothin' so you'd notice..No problem, right ?!? Until you realise that you CAN'T walk the 50 feet from yr bed to the bathroom w/o WHEEZING...Mama died over 15 years, just a little every day...Had to have oxygen w/her 24/7..I used to make my living growing tobacco & printing cigarette labels...But now, FUCK 'Em...They need to be shut down..Period. No ifs,ands, or butts..Mama got off EASY...She never had Lung Cancer..I understand that's a fate WORSE than death...She never had pain, but Lung Cancer, I understand, is VERY painful..

ctc17
11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I go kinda OVERBOARD on smoking 'cause my Mom died SO Hard... Emphysema is a nice, quiet, EASY way to die...It just kills you a Little Bit every day, nothin' so you'd notice..No problem, right ?!? Until you realise that you CAN'T walk the 50 feet from yr bed to the bathroom w/o WHEEZING...Mama died over 15 years, just a little every day...Had to have oxygen w/her 24/7..I used to make my living growing tobacco & printing cigarette labels...But now, FUCK 'Em...They need to be shut down..Period. No ifs,ands, or butts..Mama got off EASY...She never had Lung Cancer..I understand that's a fate WORSE than death...She never had pain, but Lung Cancer, I understand, is VERY painful..

Totally understandable, I still cant understand why anyone would continue to smoke when the outcome is so clear, not to mention the cost and loss of performance with your body.

im going to name a few things I believe are bad and cumulative and avoid besides cigarettes.

soft drinks, artificial sweetener, fluoride, non ionizing radiation (wireless phones), aluminum cookware, vaccines, solder smoke, aluminum based deodorant, Teflon lined cookware, brake dust, used crankcase oil, asbestos, GMO food, fast food, smoking anything etc

I could go on all day. The fact is we are exposed and bombarded with toxins all day everyday, much more so than your grandma was in her day.

Lets just call it low level eugenics

radio nut
11-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Does not sound like "low level" to me....

But I agree, everything anymore is bad for you. It seems like in the process of making things better and life simpler that "man" is causing more problems then he fixes.

Nothing in life is natural or unadulterated and that is the problem... Why can't we leave Well Enough Alone...

DaveWM
11-08-2012, 07:06 AM
the way to quit smoking if you want to is take the pack in your pocket, throw it away, along with the cartons stashed around the house. Then NEVER light up again. Cold turkey, and never slip up to have just one while on the road or in the bar or what ever. everyone started with just that 1st one. I quit when I was a teen after smoking for a few years. When I see young kid smoke today they just look foolish as I am sure I did. But I was lucky I had a girl friend that hated them and she wanted me to stop. So one day while out walking I took the pack out of my pocket an threw it away. That was over 30 yrs ago, but I still consider myself a smoker and will never lite up again, not even just one, and I do not hate them so I know I could get started again if I slipped up.

I will post some pics soon to try and get off smokes and back to a less deadly addiction, tv's :yes:

DaveWM
11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
just some chassis top side shots, and the test fitting of the replacement fly

DaveWM
11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
the 3A3 cup was broken on one of the mounts to the socket, I used some epoxy to glue it back, seems like it will hold. should get the 47meg and 130pf for the fly today. Got all the wires ready to hook up to the fly so if all goes well I hope to try it out no later than this weekend.

stromberg6
11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
I was a real bad chain smoker for many years until one day I felt SOOO bad I said to myself "it just aiin't worth it any more", and cold turkey'ed. It was the day after thanksgiving 1989, and I haven't touched a damn cigarette since. I do miss sharing cigars with folks, including my daughter lol, but cannot touch the nicotine for fear of winding up on the cancer sticks again. And yes, I do have COPD, and it sucks. My own fault. :tears:
If you who still smoke can muster the strength and will power, QUIT!! It won't be easy for some, but it beats suffocating to death slowly and painfully from the inability to breath.

ctc17
11-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Im sure if you give you body the proper nutrients, minerals and proteins it can reverse alot of that. The body has a really great repair ability built in if its given the right stuff.
Its all about research and the right attitude.

Its like this unobtainable parts crap I hear. if you are willing to do the research and try new things subs can be found for almost any part.
(ok theres my tv tie-in)

I wonder how hard it would be to install the degaussing coil and thermistor from a modern crt set in one of these. I have plenty of that stuff lying around, guess I could give it a try.

DaveWM
11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
yea good idea, on the degausser, may add one I have a few of those laying around as well. Would be fun to add the PB style with a push button switch on the back for manual operation.

Damn, I got the wrong resistor its a 3.9 ohm 1/4 watt would much rather it be a 1 watt. I could just use a 2v2 instead of a 1v2 I suppose. will look around and see if I can find the right thing.

Sandy G
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
I was a real bad chain smoker for many years until one day I felt SOOO bad I said to myself "it just aiin't worth it any more", and cold turkey'ed. It was the day after thanksgiving 1989, and I haven't touched a damn cigarette since. I do miss sharing cigars with folks, including my daughter lol, but cannot touch the nicotine for fear of winding up on the cancer sticks again. And yes, I do have COPD, and it sucks. My own fault. :tears:
If you who still smoke can muster the strength and will power, QUIT!! It won't be easy for some, but it beats suffocating to death slowly and painfully from the inability to breath.

Yep...Even tho she got hypnotised, my Mom NEVER took another drag, for fear of landing back in Stupidville again. She was on the last leg of her long day's journey into night, she didn't/couldn't even come to my wedding.. We got married 15 Dec 207, Mama died Aug 208. I REALLY wish she & my wife had gotten to know each other better-They woulda been BIG buds. Mama, I think, was happy she was leavin' me in good hands..Shit, I'm Tearin' up now..

wa2ise
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I never took up smoking. As I understand it, it's in high school that most people become smokers, mainly to look cool. :smoke: But I knew that I was way too much a nerd :nerd: for cigarettes to make me look cool, so I didn't try. Besides, I had heard that it was bad for you anyway.

Sandy G
11-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I NEVER worried about "Cool",the hiskule I went to, about aLL the cigarette smokers were l Delinquents/ bad seed.. We tended to STAY AWAY from 'em..

Kevin Kuehn
11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Never smoked(directly) here either. But my brother and I did a band gig back through the 90's. Needless to say the second hand stuff we took in was pretty yucky. Of course we drank a few beers to balance the effect. I do know that second hand smoke and loud noise alone can give one hell of a hangover. But hey, it's all part of the natural aging cycle. :D

dieseljeep
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I never took up smoking. As I understand it, it's in high school that most people become smokers, mainly to look cool. :smoke: But I knew that I was way too much a nerd :nerd: for cigarettes to make me look cool, so I didn't try. Besides, I had heard that it was bad for you anyway.
I tried it and couldn't get anything out of it. I don't know if I was doing it right or not.
I still like my beer, but I have to cut down on that. :sigh:

DaveWM
11-09-2012, 01:36 PM
local surplus store had the 3.9 so all ready to go, will solder up tonight, maybe get it in for a test run. I really need to get my test jig setup in the shop/office.

ctc17
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
We should just call this the cigarette thread.

When I started working on electronics in nightclubs they were all smoke filled hot boxes. Most of the failures and problems were due to smoke dust buildup in anything with a fan. From amps to tv to the condensing units in the beer coolers. The smoke turns into a heavy dust that plugs up the air flow and causes overheating. Its also attracted to anything with a high voltage potential.

One of the many tests tvs undergo is exposure to hundreds of cigarettes in a sealed box, just like the shake tests and thermal testing.

The organic plan tars are a great preservative for a chassis. You never really see corrosion or rust on a heavy smoker set.

Personally I never got past that first taboo cigarette as a teenager, the one you feel all big, like you are getting away with some forbidden pleasure. Ohh we did occasionally smoke cloves at lunch in high school, but they taste good and get you wasted. :smoke:

Sandy G
11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I used to smoke a cigar about 2-3X a year just to remind myself how badly I HATED them. Ever since my stroke, I absolutely cannot stand to be around cigarette smoke of any kind...Even going into a barn where tobacco is hung, curing, gets me.

DaveWM
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
test run with HOT and VOT pulled went well, B+ came up, filter caps seemed ok, tuner audio working. I don't have a yoke handy, if I did I was going to just hook it up and then meter the HV and see what happens. I will just install it in the set, just about as easy, maybe later tonight.

DaveWM
11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
had a bit of fireworks by the service switch, seems like one of the terminals has a bit of a short to ground, maybe a carbon path, I was tempted to just let it burn out, but will replace it. may have one in my stash if not looks like something rat shack may have otherwise off to the surplus store again.

DaveWM
11-09-2012, 07:36 PM
carbon track was on the outside, scraped it off and all good now. a quick neon bulb test of the plate caused it to light up, so looks like all is working well so far. will install in tv later.

DaveWM
11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
looking good. color working sweep looks good, fly not getting hot. just a fast check. have dirty pot on color but so far so good. the Colorama CRT that did not test very well seem to be making a pretty good pic. will work on it some more and get some pics.

DaveWM
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
did a few house keeping chores on it today, 1st pulled all the tubes and sprayed on contact cleaner, and cleaned the contacts in the wafer switch type tuner. I am not a big fan of the wafer switch types as I find it harder to clean them, but I do like the way the fine tuning works, it has individual plastic screws that move around with the tuner, pushing on a single lever that fine tunes. I find this mech a bit hardier than the little gears and tuning slugs inside the channel coils on the turret types. Cleaned the pots in the front as well, they were a little bit touchy. I have been using a product called slick stuff for years, has a strong citric smell, seems to work very well (does not hurt carbon pots). its a cleaner and lubricant.

Last thing was I cut the 3a3 filament leads down. I had them full length from the new fly, which was about 3" too long, resulting in the lead coming up so high that they nearly touched the plate lead of the 3a3.

I noticed a tiny waft of smoke on startup from under the fly, my guess is its the big power resistor near the choke. the term strip looks fully baked (as they all do) and the wires show charred insulation right at the strip. I know I should replace the wire and sand the term strip so I can get a good connection, but for now I will leave it be.

Its all orig parts wise and I see no reason at this time to go changing anything. the only part change has been to cut out the AC line cap. did not replace it just cut it out so it would not explode on me.

DaveWM
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
decided to go a head and change out the .0082 cap in the feedback loop of the vert osc. this cap is always weak, and I did notice the vert was a bit lacking. While at it I will replace the .001 cap on the vert primary as well. Its a 2kv and I have no good way of testing it.

DaveWM
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
looking good. the vert center was way off, the height and lin set up easy. will get a better video feed and get some pics. After that I will try the 128v tap. have not checked the new fly for current setup need to do that 1st. HV was right on the nose at 24kv with good regulation.

DaveWM
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
wow, nice pic. based on the way the CRT tested I was not expecting much, popped in the forbidden planet (I miss Anne) and was stunned by how nice it looked. had to touch up the focus, but that was easy, and its very sharp without being at either end of the range. Guess I got the focus coil hook up right. there is still a tiny bit of purity setup needed, but considering this set has no auto degausse figured I would start with that. I use my variac on the DG coil, its just a lot easier than having to move it back. I did not even touch the dynamic converge just a very minor static (which will prob be goofed up if I end up adj the purity). this chassis really required so little work, I wonder why it was taken out of service (and the fly harvested). Oh and the controls including the tuner are MUCH nicer after having been cleaned. Considering what I paid for it (nothing) and the fact that I happened to have an extra fly, I have to consider this one of my better scores.

DaveWM
11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
color shots

IsthmusTV
11-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Looking good, Dave! And it sure didn't take you long to get it up and running. Usually, no fly would be a show stopper. Congratulations on another roundie saved! :thmbsp:

-Clark

DaveWM
11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
this one had no problems at all but for the missing fly, was lucky I had an extra that was a bolt in replacement. the only other thing I plan to do is add a single term strip to the chassis and bring out the cathode from the HOT to it. that will make checking the HOT current easy. I would like to add a 'HI-LO' ac voltage switch but that may be taking things a bit far. I just don't get why they went thru the trouble of tapping the primary of the PT and then did not bother to make it easy to switch. In later chassis like the 16 i know there was at least a term strip that could be accessed from the top of the chassis to move a jumper around. I could mount a two lug term strip one with the 117 and one with the 128 then have a jumper to select, but the idea of the AC up on the top of the chassis scares me a bit.

DaveWM
11-13-2012, 01:03 PM
drilled a small hole in the chassis near the back, attached a small spade connector, then used a jumper from the HOT to connect it. I clipped the orig 3-6 ground wire but just bent it down out of the way. Now checking HOT current will be very easy.

DaveWM
11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
well at full line voltage of about 125vac I get about 220ma min, at 115vac its about 200ma, so I think I will look into using that tap. I will also check the HOT grid bias to make sure that is correct. Something that bothered me was when checking the 270v test point on the back of the chroma board, I came up with 250v and that was at full line voltage. Since the biggest draw on current is prob the sweep circuits, its just another reason to confirm that all is well in the horz out.

DaveWM
11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
interesting clue, screen voltage seems high at about 165v vs 135v a vaguely remember fighting an odd high current problem before. The clue is the vert center pot is at one extreme end and the setup line is just to the middle, maybe not quite all the way. Letter box is not even either. The screen voltage is tied into this 10 ohm pot. I am going to check it to make sure it did not open up on one end. It does move the vert but just not enough.

DaveWM
11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
well the vert cent pot was open on one side, so that should help with the centering and maybe the excessive screen voltage on the HOT.

I did notice that some work had been done there before. one of the ends of the pot (the one with two wires and a resistor on it) still had the remnants of a pot leg soldered on, like they did not bother to undo the the pot before, just cut off the leg that was there and solder it on to the new pot.

My guess is these vert centering pots were a common failure point.

DaveWM
11-14-2012, 09:25 PM
very odd, the pic is still too high on the screen, I tried reversing the vert yoke leads, again too high on the screen (had to go the the other extreme end of the vert cent to try and center the upside down pic, I am not 100% sure I got that right it got a bit confusing, next time I will just center the pot and see what happens).

I am going to try just unplugging the vert yoke and see where the center line falls (yes brightness will be turned down).

I don't recall if this is normal but in the service setup mode the cent line can be moved by the vert cent pot. At the extreme end its nearly centered but not quite.

DaveWM
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
well with the vert yoke unpluged it still scans about 1" high from the middle of the screen. Now can the purity/convergence cause a this? My next test will be to plug in a convergence yoke plug with the 100 ohm resistor.

DaveWM
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
was reading my RCA manual, says if AC line never drops below 120vac to go ahead and use the 128vac tap. So will be making that change. Also on vert setup, to use the lin control to fill out the screen as large as possible and the height to make as small as possible to just overscan, while still maintaining decent linearity. Had to do with vert convergence pulses.

DaveWM
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
new HOT got the screen voltage in line, dropped from (128v tap)150 to 137 with just a tube change. The new tap seems to be fine, did not seem to drop the overall B+ much but I feel better about it anyway.

I noticed a slightly blue glow in the 3a3 so maybe its getting a bit gassy, will sub in one of those next. cathode current still a bit high about 205ma, was about 220ma before the tap and tube change.

DaveWM
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
tried yet another 3a3, this time no blue glow at all. while I was at it I swapped a newer looking 6BK4 shunt (clear glass not as brown), HV went up so I adj back to about 24kv, holds steady from full to no brightness settings so I think its about done. I just need to bring it inside so I can watch it for a while and monitor the flyback heat. I would like to add a thermistor to the set even if I dont have the auto degausser setup just to save some stress on the switch. The CL90's that I have been using are only rated at 2 amps but there is a 3 amp one listed on mouser.

DaveWM
12-01-2012, 01:43 PM
while futzing with the flyback, I noticed the sound seemed a bit weak, it starts nothing to weak, gets weaker to nothing (at around the loudness tap I presume) and then gets louder again, the tone control seems to have little effect as well. I am guessing something on one of the pots has shorted or one of the wires has pulled loose on the VC, I guess I will need to pull the chassis...again...oy