View Full Version : Sony PVM-14N5U

Eric H
11-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Just picked up a smaller Sony Pro Video Monitor for $10, built in Oct 98, it seems to work fine.
No obvious screen burn but then I haven't had a full raster on it, just the menu.

It powers on with a nice strong hum from the degauss coil and judging by the menu the gray scale and convergence are perfect, you'd think it was a B&W set judging by the lack of fringing or tint on the letters.

Seems a little odd that it was built in the UK, thought it might be PAL for a second but it runs on 120v so probably not.

It has a variety of inputs and outputs, not too fancy, I can hook Component up the the Y/C inputs can't I? Anyone know the pin out and how to wire it to work?

I have no idea what I will use it for but for $10 I couldn't not get it!

Eric H
11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
It looks sweeet!

Hooked up a Bluray player (using the regular Composite output) and this little Monitor has a superb picture! Colors are really nice and very detailed.

I looked in the Menu and it supports three types of NTSC, PAL and SECAM.

ChrisW6ATV
11-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I installed a number of those monitors when they were new, including maybe a few in LAX. That model does not have component input (which would be marked Y, R-Y, B-Y on a set of three BNC connectors if it had it), but the Y/C input is the same as S-video. What you CAN do if I remember right is to set the monitor to 16:9 mode, and then set your Blu-ray player (or a DVD player) also to 16:9 mode, and get the full resolution of an NTSC signal in the 16:9 area of the screen. Nice find for $10! Those cost hundreds of dollars each when new.