View Full Version : Looking for repair help

ad_liada
10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Greetings,

I'm in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area, and own a half dozen vintage sets from the 1940's and 1950's. I am not a technician nor a repairman, just someone who likes these old televisions.

I'm hoping to find someone in this area who is willing to occasionally work on / repair my sets to keep them in working condition. I own a couple of 1946 RCA 621 TS sets, a couple of 1949 Motorolas, two 1958 / 59 Predictas (Holiday and Barberpole), a 1960 Philco Safari, and am considering buying a 50's or 60's color set as well.

If you're in this area and are interested, please let me know so we can discuss terms...thanks.

DavidGoncalv
10-10-2012, 09:57 AM
A this point on the lifetime of many of those components, you are looking at a total restoration rather than a repair job - unless they were already restored?

Restoration runs up tech time - way more than the parts usually - unless you got unlucky and a critical part is busted (CRT, flyback), then they could be equal.

Is that something you would pay for?

ad_liada
10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes, these have all been restored previously and you're right, it wasn't cheap. What I'm looking for now is someone to help keep them in good working order.

Phil Nelson
10-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Have you tried contacting an area radio/TV collector club?

http://www.antiqueradio.com/clublist.html

I'd ask the nearest club for a recommendation. Even if they're not next door, they may know someone nearer to you. There might be someone out there, like a retired or semi-retired serviceman, who doesn't operate a full-fledged restoration business, but who wouldn't mind doing an odd job every now and then.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

ad_liada
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi Phil,

Yes, I did pretty much this same post on their television forum a year ago without results...another collector in California suggested I try videokarma, thus today's post.

Thanks.

tvtimeisfun
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey what model do you need I have 12 inch motorola let us know on what model I live in Indianapolis, Indiana you would have to drive to get some sets I have several sets that I would think about selling... T imothy

Eric H
10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey what model do you need ...

He is not asking to buy any sets, just looking for someone to maintain the ones he has.

If you want to sell something post it in the Classifieds.