View Full Version : "New" CTC-10 Henredon and CTC-9

StellarTV
10-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Hello, first post in a looooong time. Since before Audiokarma 'split' I believe...

So I just picked up a CTC-10 in a custom "Henredon" cabinet from a local gentleman here in Folsom. He advertised it on craigslist and it was just a fluke that I happened to see it since I don't usually look on CL for old TVs. I picked up this beautiful set form him, along with a CTC-9 with a sheared off neck. He said he actually used to post here so maybe some of you know the sets or have spoken to him before.

Problem on the CTC-10 is the CRT is a bit weak and I'm looking to see if anyone has a color brightener they would like to part with?

The CTC-9 will need a CRT and, well, we know how that can go.

Sandy G
10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Welcome ! 2 nice sets ! Look to be in VERY good cosmetic condition.

kvflyer
10-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey, welcome back! Nice sets and I am very sorry that the one was "necked". Hope you get access to good CRTs so that these sets can be brought back to life. Please, keep us posted...

hi_volt
10-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice looking sets, and great score!

joemama99
10-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow-power tuning,too!

bgadow
10-06-2012, 10:38 PM
If you can't find one closer, let me know, I'm sure I have a spare 21" brightener.

tvcollector
10-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Nice set, and yes I know how that can be with CRTS, I have two sets that needed CRTS and both times when I found a replacement, it turned into a nightmare, and I'm still trying to get a refund out of Greyhound since early this year.. If you are going to get a CRT I would recommend using U-Ship.. It's a bit more pricey but you most likely won't have a DOA..

StellarTV
10-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome! :D

Wow-power tuning,too!

Yeah the set also has a wireless remote control, but it takes a very strange battery. Anyone know anything about these?

Nice set, and yes I know how that can be with CRTS, I have two sets that needed CRTS and both times when I found a replacement, it turned into a nightmare, and I'm still trying to get a refund out of Greyhound since early this year.. If you are going to get a CRT I would recommend using U-Ship.. It's a bit more pricey but you most likely won't have a DOA..

I can imagine the heartbreak of finding a CRT broken in shipment... I have a '64 Magnavox that I'm almost considering 'retiring,' but only for the purpose of saving the CTC9, which has a very good tube in it. Looks like the tube in the CTC9 is (was) a 21CYP22 without a bonded faceplate. the roundie in the Magnavox has the bonded faceplace and not sure of the tube type... looks like a 21FJP22 or similar but any remote chance of putting a CRT with a bonded faceplate in the CTC9?

jstout66
10-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Does it look like your remote takes the weird round 9 volt battery?
I had a 67 Magnavox that used one of those, and I think the CTC-31 I used to own took one as well.... If so, I had special ordered some through Radio Shack (circa 2001)
Hopefully they still offer them, but I remember it was kind of a bitch back then.

StellarTV
10-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Yep, that's got to be the one... if it 'll fit; maybe I can try a modern 9v...

jstout66
10-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Good luck, but check with radio shack, they should be able to look it up if you have the old battery, or the battery type is listed in your remote.

ohohyodafarted
10-07-2012, 09:42 PM

I have shipped many crts in Grayhound and never had a single one break, whereas UPS will usually destroy a tube. IF Grayhound broke your tubes then the blame likely lies with poor packaging on the part of the seller. I pack my tubes in double boxed double wall corregated cartons with bubble wrap between the boxes. And always place hand holes in the sides so the bus baggage handlers can grab the boxes and hang on to them easily. You should blame poor packaging not Grayhound.

And BTW I have had poor experiences with Uship. the carriers are often very un-reliable and I have found that I can often beat the Uship prices using commercial trucking companies.

Einar72
10-08-2012, 02:54 AM
I agree with Bob! I've been very happy with The 'Hound for shipping and receiving TV's and CRT's.

Don't trust just any shipper. When I bought my pinball machine (the one in my avatar) on ePay from somone in Florida, the first thing it did was disappear into the shipper's warehouse. For about a month, we heard nothing from anyone! :sigh: Lotsa luck with Shipping Wars, I'll take my drama queens ON the TV, not delivering it!

holmesuser01
10-08-2012, 08:39 AM
I've successfully installed a 21FJP22 in a set that was built for a 21CYP22. There are slight color issues, but I've never done the modifications on my sets, and dont really notice a problem with flesh tone colors.

I know I should do the mod. RCA went to all the trouble to add the fix to their manuals!!

classicradios
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
My CTC-9 has a 21FJP22a installed without any mods. I'm happy with the fleshtones. Here's a photo.

StellarTV
10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the visual, that looks good. I think I've got a bug to try and install that today so I'll update with the progress!

StellarTV
10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Tube replacement done. I'm VERY happy with the results!

I had my younger sister Alex come over to the shop today and I showed her how to replace the tube. Thankfully after initial assembly, we had near perfect convergence which only required minor touching up. The CTC-9 lives!

holmesuser01
10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
My CTC-10 set came to me necked. The only CRT I had was an FBP22. Looks good!

old_tv_nut
10-10-2012, 09:48 PM
good goood gooood!

Reece
10-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Wow, really nice!!

sampson159
10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
now thats what i am talking about!look at that convergence.close as it gets.this is what we all strive for

freakaftr8
10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Hey all! Hey Justin. That CTC9 looks awesome!!! So much better than the way it was when you picked it up from me! lol. It looks like you got convergence and purity almost spot on. Congrats, these early sets were a pain to try to converge. On the 10 I still have the brightner. Ill send it to you. I figured somthing was up when that brightner was sitting in the cabinet. I miss Scotty.

I had a chance to meet up with Justin a few weeks ago when he picked these sets up from me. And I gotta say what a guy! Like all the people I have met face to face on this forum, you are all great guys, very knowladgable and friendly.

zenithfan1
10-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Beautiful set, one of my favorite 9 cabinets! Great job Justin!

IsthmusTV
10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Wow, I should teach my sister how to replace a tube :D

Nice job!

-Clark

StellarTV
10-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys!

The CTC9 started having some horizontal issues today. Looks like after it warms up for an hour or two horizontal hold won't lock, it goes from out of sync with a turn of the hold control in one direction, to FAR out of sync to the point of chaotic resonance from the flyback and breakdown of horizontal scan right at the point where it should be syncing. Going to test tubes tomorrow.

Shawn, had you ever removed the chassis for service on this one? Just curious what I may find underneath. Wax caps or old orange drops? :tongue:

I need to take pictures of it with a newer video playing. American Graffiti is fun, but doesn't make for a great example of a clear picture. Playing a newer movie really shows how pristine that set can reproduce an image. It's amazing.

Phil Nelson
10-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Just curious what I may find underneath. Wax caps or old orange drops?My CTC-7 and CTC-11 TVs had an assortment of maroon drops and tubular plastic-coated paper caps (bumblebees, et. al.). Don't recall any wax caps in either set.

In my limited experience, dipped mylar caps of that vintage (whatever the color) are not to be trusted as you would a new orange drop. And as you probably know, the tubular plastic-coated caps are all garbage, just like wax-coated paper.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

StellarTV
10-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Now that you mention the 'maroon drops' I recall that being the population of the CTC-11 I had some years back.

I can't believe how terrible those black tubular caps were. Philco was sure fond of them for a long period of time. :no:

freakaftr8
10-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Hey Justin. I had the chassis pulled back when I replaced the thermistor. It other than that no. I didn't even test the tubes in the 9. I'm placing my bets on filter can caps. Are any of those puppies getting warm? Ive changed them out in my old 12 cause if a horizontal drift. Problem solved.

StellarTV
10-13-2012, 12:50 PM
In that case, I'd best just pull the whole chassis out for a recap. The pic looks so good before it drifts I'm startled to find out it hasn't been serviced! Thanks for the heads-up.

StellarTV
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Okay, haha, Eureka moment yesterday. The instant I saw the .01uF bumblebee across the horizontal oscillator coil everything became clear. Upon closer examination of the CTC-9, it looked like there had been spot repairs made in the past with a couple of Sprague orange drops, but other than that the chassis was bone stock. Replaced all the maroon drops and the two bumblebees (one shunted safely across the AC line) as well as the electrolytics. All the RCA badged tubes tested good and it ran strong all day.

Zenith26kc20
10-17-2012, 03:12 PM
If you can, change the bumblebee in the IF area. It causes jittery sync after warmup. I've posted this before but RCA hid this cap away from the sync circuit and it drove me nuts for a bit.
Also, the RCA schematic is far better than the Sams.

frenchy
11-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Regarding your remote control battery...

I've recently finished my electronic restoration of the exact same set as yours (CTC-10 with 2-door Henredon cabinet). The remote runs on 4.2 in the schematics, not 9 volt. I wasn't able to find a suitable replacement, but I was able to make a simple replacement by taping three A640 1.5v button batteries together and it works perfectly. The flat, "+" end goes to the inner battery terminal.

My set came with a rebuilt FJP22 CRT. Tests great on all guns though the red tends to defocus some in the detail on super-red content. One of those things where you have to actually see the tube work rather than relying on meter readings. I'm still not 100% convinced that it's the tube and not something else because brightness and contrast seems to have NO affect on the red defocusing, only the 'intensity' control on reds. I have another FJP I am soon going to do an in-set test on and if works much better I may end up swapping it. But the current tube is quite acceptable for me. I did a reactivation of it using my crt tester which definitely helped but I'm not specifically recommending that you do that with yours. I tried a brightener but after the reactivation, it had no real effect so I took it off.

Dennman6
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
My CTC-9 has a 21FJP22a installed without any mods. I'm happy with the fleshtones. Here's a photo.

Richard Basehart. Is the still from "The Andersonville Trial"? He was a great Captain Wurtz in that.