View Full Version : A new hello!

toolguy
10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone!

Just got my first TV to restore and just joined of course. I picked up a 1955 GE (see pic). The TV does have its knobs, unbroken and the back is fully intact, this pic was when I had the Atari and conv box connected to try and get a signal.

I'm not new to restorations though, I've restored a few vintage fans, my oldest is a 1917 GE, and I've restored a few pinball machines (solid state, DMD & EM) and arcade games. I've also built my own Galaga cabaret machine with a CRT I might add! :banana:

Anyway, I digging my all cleaned up GE TV now. I managed to clean the front of the tube and the clear glass in front of the tube, by removing the tube from the set. All the tubes are known good, tuners are cleaned, but this is the picture I get. However I know, just like arcade games, a cap kit is in order and that's my next step. I do have a few questions regarding caps for an old TV. I'm used to electrolytic caps soldered to boards, and have replaced many of those, but not all the kind used in old TV's i.e. paper. I'll post in the proper section for those questions though.

See you all around!

old_tv_nut
10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Welcome!

Sandy G
10-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Nice t'have ya ! Welcome ! Look, DON'T run yr TV again until you get it "Gone Thru"...A cap could fail & take out something that is "Unobtanium".

tvtimeisfun
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Hello and welcome nice digs do as sandy suggested please no more juice until your caps are replaced.. welcome and good luck and happy collecting...Timothy

bandersen
10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome to VK :wave:

toolguy
10-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Yup, no more turning it one, I already pulled the chassis out too. The pic was the one time I turned it on from getting all 20 tubes back after being checked.

I count 40 caps to replace!

marty59
10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Welcome! What a cool basement set up you have there! Where abouts in Michigan are 'ya?

Bill Cahill
10-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the forums.
Bill Cahill

Dan Starnes
10-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Welcome!!

bgadow
10-06-2012, 10:57 PM
That GE should wake up pretty good for you. You probably know it, but, replace the paper caps and electrolytics but don't worry about the ceramic discs or micas. That should be a fairly easy set to work on.

toolguy
10-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Welcome! What a cool basement set up you have there! Where abouts in Michigan are 'ya?

Thanks! Wish I could get more games but space does not allow. So I got this TV instead! LOL!!

I'm in Rochester, Oakland County.

Are you from here too?

toolguy
10-08-2012, 11:47 AM
That GE should wake up pretty good for you. You probably know it, but, replace the paper caps and electrolytics but don't worry about the ceramic discs or micas. That should be a fairly easy set to work on.

Thanks for the good news! And you read my mind, those were the caps I was going to go after.

Got to rebuild to of those filter caps, the ones with 3-4 caps inside. Never done one of those so that will be a learning experience.