View Full Version : Zenith 28T925R

baursam
10-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Folks....First time I have posted on here, but read the forums religiously.

Up here in Calgary, there is very little in the way of vintage tvs in the market, be that Craigslist or Kijiji, but I hit the jackpot today.

I found an old 1949 Zenith 28T925R "Mayflower" porthole set for $40.00. Have only had a brief look at it this eve, but will have a good look on the weekend with better lighting.

Case is in ok shape, very restorable. Chassis is mostly complete, but looking further back it looks like the speaker may be missing. The crt was broken in half at the neck, so am looking for a 12LP4 crt, should anyone have a working spare sitting around. The right hand knob appears to not be original, but looks to be something from the same era.

Here are a couple of pictures. :banana: From what I understand, these sets are not the easiest to restore, so am not going to jump into this for awhile.

bandersen
10-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Nice find and a nice price :thmbsp: I think that's one of the less common models - I know I've never seen one in person.

I haven't restored a porthole set yet, but from what I've read some models have odd power supplies and the flybacks are often fried or at least look horrible.

Good luck finding a 12LP4.

cwmoser
10-05-2012, 06:48 AM
I love those Portholes - they are really fun restoration projects.
I have a 12LP4 that I paid $120 for - purchased it when I went to pick up my Zenith porthole.
The problem is finding someone who can and knows how to
box it up and ship it. I'd sell mine to someone who would
come by and pick it up but have no desire trying to figure out
how to safely ship it.

Carl

baursam
10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi Carl.

Agreed about the shipping of a 12LP4. or any crt for that matter. The risk is great and unless it is done with someone who has knowledge on the proper method of packing a crt, the chances of it making it to destination intact are slim.

I will keep looking. If anyone has a donor set, and has the correct on/off knob on the right hand of the set, I would love to hear from you. Same goes for the speaker. However, does anyone know of a outfit that sells old radio/tv speakers, reconditioned or otherwise

thanks

Ross

benman94
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
PM Me about the 12LP4. I may be able to help...

Boobtubeman
10-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Randy Bassham shipped me a CRT and it was an AWESOME pack job..
He bagged it in a trashbag, put it in a box, and used a can or two of expandable foam..
When it got here, it was still tight in box and perfect when i removed it :D

He shipped me a 17RP4 CRT :D

SR

tvtimeisfun
10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Hello I have the very same set that I picked up at the early tv convention this year I only payed 25 bucks for my little beauty and it has a good 12lp4 what a stroke of luck hopefully we can get my photos on this new to me computer congrats on your find happy collecting... Timothy

baursam
10-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Timothy...I would love to see some pics of your set, as it will help me identify what is missing from mine, as I can not find a lot of pics on the internet of this set.

Tomorrow I ll post a few more, as the first few were taken in poor lighting

thanks

Ross

baursam
10-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Expandable foam..never even thought of that...That's an excellent idea, makes a perfect mould of the crt.

thanks for that!!!!

Eric H
10-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Are you sure it's a 12LP4? My Mayflower is a 10" set.

It's an easy restore but there's a fair chance the Flyback will be bad.
I found the early RCA "Fly1" will drop right in and work with no mods except changing the Yoke Network to the RCA values.
The RCA Fly runs cool even after extended periods of operation.

These make a very good picture but weigh a ton, I had to remove the power supply chassis just to be able to lift it.

My Mayflower running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlF0haH-zY

The Flyback swap:

baursam
10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Here are some additional pics. Got the chassis out this eve, no easy task, and along with that got a look at the old crt.

Eric, I was just going by what I saw on Radiomuseum and in the Sams folder, but def could be wrong. They both stated a 12LP4 crt. I ll try and look at remnants of the crt and see if I can identify it for sure. If you and others can look and see what else might be missing. I see that there was an hv cage that is missing and the back, along with the four mini knobs under the gold cover plates and the one contrast/volume knob.

Eric H
10-05-2012, 09:25 PM
That looks like a 10" CRT from here, just measure across it, if it's close to 10" then it has to be one.
There may have been a 12" version of this set because I know there were a couple versions.

If it's a 10 then I believe the actual correct CRT for these is the 10KP4 Aluminized tube but of course a 10BP4 would work fine.

Here's a picture of one of the small knobs, they all look the same.

The HV Cage on these was made of Fish Paper I think, that's why most of them are missing.

Mine has the back but it's not in a position where I can easily take a picture of it, it isn't a flat back though, it bulges out about an inch at the edges.

Eric H
10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
I found a picture of someone elses set showing the back, you can also see the HV cage, it may be metal, you can't really tell from the picture.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=167492&d=1277175306

baursam
10-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Eric..

Pulled it out of the garbage and sure enough, its a 10 inch and not a 12inch crt. Thanks for making me double check!! Dont always believe what you read. I have a weak 10BP4 which will suffice for testing etc once I get a chance to start work on it.

Thanks for the pics of the little knobs, that helps a lot.

Eric H
10-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Correction:
In my post above I meant to say 10FP4 and not 10KP4, the FP4 is the Aluminized version of the BP4.

cwmoser
10-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Hello I have the very same set that I picked up at the early tv convention this year I only payed 25 bucks for my little beauty and it has a good 12lp4 what a stroke of luck hopefully we can get my photos on this new to me computer congrats on your find happy collecting... Timothy

Timothy, I was at the Early TV Convention too.
I recall seeing 2 of these TVs there - one sold in the Auction
and one sold outside. I eye-balled both sets and they
both look very restorable.

I went home with one of the Raytheon Porthole TVs and the Philco Projection TV.

Carl

baursam
11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Does anyone have any good clear pics of a complete 28T925R chassis that they can post. I am trying to determine what exactly is missing from mine. It came with a wound up brown two pronged power cord, but when I look all over the chassis, I see no recepticle for plugging in the cord

thanks

Ross

Eric H
11-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Ross here are a couple pictures that may help.

The AC cord plugs into a two pin connector that is right under where the neck of the CRT is laying in your picture, I can see the edge of it sticking out.

The second picture shows where the Power Supply cable plugs in.

baursam
11-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks Eric.....I thought the mount with the two pins was the correct point, but, when I attempted to put the cord in place, the pins seemed too far apart for the cord to mount properly, and I didnt want to force it and break a pin or something. I ll gently try tomorrow.

thanks for posting the pics

Ross

bandersen
11-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Maybe that's not the original power cord or not a proper 'cheater' cord. There are more modern AC cords that look like they would fit but don't quite line up. Definitely don't force it. In a pinch you could try cutting the plastic between the plugs on the cord and spread them apart.

Eric H
11-07-2012, 01:19 AM
It's an oddball cord so you will probably have to make something up to use.

tvtimeisfun
11-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Hello so you were the 1 that out bidded me on the raytheon porthole hopefully I will be lucky in 2013 so save me a raytheon porthole...lol// Timothy

baursam
11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes, its an oddball cord...I heated up the end of the cord I had in hot water to make it more flexible, and there is no way that it is the correct cord. So rather than try and force it, and damage the posts..I ll try what you are suggesting Bob, and cut between the plugs on the cord, spead it out a bit and see if that will work. If not, I ll have to figure out another fix..

thanks

Reece
11-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Ross, I have a bunch of speakers, 4, 5, 6", etc. Send me a PM, tell me what you need.

baursam
11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Pm sent

Thanks

baursam
11-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Eric or anyone who has this set, I am wondering if you can post a few close up pics of the contrast knob which lays under the volume on off knob on the right side of the set. Mine is missing the contrast knob and it next to impossible to find any close up pics of this knob online.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Eric H
11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Here you are.

It's possible I might even have an extra one, I'll have to dig through my box of knobs but they are at work so it won't be until Monday.

baursam
11-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks Eric. No worries, whenever you have a sec

Ross