View Full Version : Something I've been thinking about.

50scraze
10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Like most members here I'm not a fan of 'frankensets' but lately I can't seem to get this idea out of my head. Maybe it's due the challenge this would pose. So for the sake of discussion here we go!

Does anyone here know if someone has ever created a color Predicta? I'm not talking about reproductions but rather putting color components from the proper time (maybe a few years later) into a Predicta shell successfully.

I've come to the conclusion such a task would only be possible on the 17" models. A chassis could be greatly modified or simply 'rebuilt' to fit in the case. It would be a lot of work but it COULD be done. The hardest part would be finding a suitable CRT to properly fit in the tube housing without making any obvious modifications to the case.

To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much!) there aren't any suitable and it would most likely involve having to alter a rather desirable color set.

Thoughts?

josephdaniel
10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Anyone who does this would really have to love torture or just have alot of time/money on their hands.:yes:

Eric H
10-02-2012, 09:35 PM
There were no 17" Color CRT's anytime close to 1959, the only thing available then was a 21" Round tube which is a huge thing, not to mention the chassis that would be bigger than the entire Predicta.

I think you would have an impossible task to find a Color CRT of any vintage that would fit in the shell of a Predicta.

There were some shallow high deflection Color CRTs in the 70's and later but they would have been quite squared off and not close to the rounded profile of the B&W Predicta tubes.

Boobtubeman
10-02-2012, 09:48 PM
The only color predicta in existence was on the bay site a year or so ago.. An OBVIOUS modification,, but kinda neat as well :)

SR

bandersen
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
The only color predicta in existence was on the bay site a year or so ago.. An OBVIOUS modification,, but kinda neat as well :)

SR

Are you sure it wasn't one of the color reproduction sets made by Telstar ? They show up on ebay now and then. http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

jr_tech
10-02-2012, 10:09 PM
A pico projector mounted in the neck area of the shell could possibly be used to rear-project a decent image, if the screen area could be made opaque. I just tried an experiment with my pico pocket projector (PK101) and it will focus close enough, but the image at that distance is only about 5 x 7 inches. An additional lens structure could perhaps be employed to provide an image large enough to cover the screen. :scratch2:

You will not find a color CRT that will fit the shell... sorry.

jr

bgadow
10-02-2012, 10:19 PM
The closest I can think of in a color crt might be something like what was in the 15" hybrids of the late 60s/early 70s, but they are most certainly going to be way too deep to fit without mods. They would be more rounded than mid-70s tubes, but still not as round as what was used in the Predicta. If you were able to design and build a head from scratch, that might be the easiest thing to base it on.

50scraze
10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Anyone who does this would really have to love torture or just have alot of time/money on their hands

Time yes! Money not so much! Torture on occasion!

I think you would have an impossible task to find a Color CRT of any vintage that would fit in the shell of a Predicta.

I thought so, just needed to see it confirmed!

A pico projector mounted in the neck area of the shell could possibly be used to rear-project a decent image, if the screen area could be made opaque. I just tried an experiment with my pico pocket projector (PK101) and it will focus close enough, but the image at that distance is only about 5 x 7 inches. An additional lens structure could perhaps be employed to provide an image large enough to cover the screen.

Now THAT is something to definitely play around with!

If you were able to design and build a head from scratch, that might be the easiest thing to base it on.

I thought of doing that too. Building a predicta inspired set from scratch! I can build a cabinet from scratch from either wood or metal! Building the tube housing would be slightly more challenging. I've made knobs and covers using molds and resins but never anything as a big as a tube casing!

Phil Nelson
10-02-2012, 11:35 PM
This company made color Predicta reproductions and a couple of Predicta-inspired sets of their own design:

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

I think their "Chalet" model is just plain ugly. Anyhow, food for thought if you're thinking of rolling your own Predicta-inspired set.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

50scraze
10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
This company made color Predicta reproductions and a couple of Predicta-inspired sets of their own design:

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

I think their "Chalet" model is just plain ugly. Anyhow, food for thought if you're thinking of rolling your own Predicta-inspired set.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

I'm not too big on their version of Predictas. I think some of Philco's concept designs would be far more worthwhile for a scratch build.

I specifically like on few of the designs on this page:

http://www.wadictatv.com/winkler57.html

better yet maybe I should just do this with existing Predica parts and just keep it b&w. Gah! I can't decide on a thing!

N2IXK
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Has anyone actually seen one of the Telstar sets? They admit that they do not manufacture the "tube and chassis", but the website is deliberately cagey about exactly whose "guts" they are putting inside the fancy retro cabinets. Makes me wonder if they are just repackaging the cheapest no-name sets they can find.

These things are CRT-based sets, right? Is anybody still making them, or would this company be sitting on a stash of older sets to fulfill their (presumably) limited demand?

50scraze
10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I've never seen one but I have heard they really aren't worth the money. One thing I noticed about Telstar Predicta site is that it has not changed or been updated since the first time I visited YEARS ago. I'm guessing due to the extremely high prices they have a stash of older CRT sets waiting to be sold. Even if you paid ebay prices for a fully restored, original predicta it would still be less then they're asking for one of those.

AiboPet
10-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I'd MUCH-MUCH rather have the restored old Predicta

Not that I wouldn't mind one of these Telstar things just for fun....but these are NOT "just for fun" prices. I wouldn't even mind that little chinese monstrosity "new" Predicta someone posted earlier....but just for fun.

Reece
10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Could you use a CRT from a discarded computer monitor? Scads of those around with good tubes.

cbenham
10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Has anyone actually seen one of the Telstar sets? They admit that they do not manufacture the "tube and chassis", but the website is deliberately cagey about exactly whose "guts" they are putting inside the fancy retro cabinets. Makes me wonder if they are just repackaging the cheapest no-name sets they can find.

These things are CRT-based sets, right? Is anybody still making them, or would this company be sitting on a stash of older sets to fulfill their (presumably) limited demand?

These are solid state sets of new manufacture, put in Predicta look-a-like cabinets. The only tube in them is the CRT. A friend has one and it makes a great picture. They are somewhat expensive, but they are also the only game in town making a color Predicta set with a remote control.
Cliff