View Full Version : 60's Magnavox TV/Phono- Picked this up today!

Magnavox300
09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Very excited to get this today for $100.
Looks in a little better shape then the "300" series I just redid.
It's very similar, having the phonograph, and TV side by side.
I don't know what year it's from, guessing '61, '62, can't find any info, even with the model #.

CRT lit up, so Can't wait to recap, clean, and redo everything, including the phonograph!
I haven't even opened the back up yet, not sure what amp is there, but I think a single ended EL84.
When I rebuilt the "Stereo Theatre 300", the sound was so amazing from the phonograph and speaker system, I didn't know tube sound could be that beautiful. People don't believe me when I say it's better than a CD.
While I was at the house of the previous owner, he also sold me a mono Magnavox portable tube phonograph for $10. Looks like mid 50's. Always wanted one!
Finally, I pulled over to make sure the tone arms were secured for the bumpy ride back, and I just happened to pull over where three Onkyo units
were being thrown out on the curb!
Maybe I can sell them and pay for what I bought today!

Magnavox300

radiotvnut
09-30-2012, 05:51 PM
That's a nice set and is a rather rare one. I think '61 is about right on the date and I'm sure it uses a SE-EL84 stereo amp that's good for about 5 WPC. Several years ago, I bought one of these for $10 at the SA; but, the cabinet was very beat up, the record changer had been destroyed, and the CRT was very weak. I ended up replacing some bad caps in the TV chassis in order to get it going; but, I eventually parted it out. Had it not been a wreck with a weak CRT, I would have restored it.

n2bew
09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Nice looking console that is not obnoxiously big. Really a balanced looking design, It is amazing how good those old sets sound. I think with all the smaller dsp speakers used now a days in audio applications people have forgotten, or not even heard before, how good a nice wood cabinet mounted large speaker sounds. Great score.

Magnavox300
09-30-2012, 09:48 PM
That's a nice set and is a rather rare one.

Thanks, I thought the same, and I was back and forth over getting it, due to having two other sets I needed to restore first.
I knew I would have regretted it if I didn't.
Hooked up a dvd player just before, but no signal, and nothing happens to the screen when I turn the Horizontal hold.
The Vertical yes, the brightness yes, though the picture seems a little dark.
I wonder if when a CRT looks weak, or dark, do new caps and or tubes ever help brighten it? I also need to get that CRT tester/rejuvenator.

Took the back cover off, looks nice and new, besides years of dust.
This has PC boards on the chassis, my "series 300" didn't.
Many original Magnavox tubes in there too,
i'll have to buy a tube tester already, I still don't have one!

radiotvnut
09-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Mine must have been slightly older because it used a point-to-point wired TV chassis. Mine was full of those white ceramic cased paper capacitors.

magnasonic66
10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm jealous! Especially that mono Magnavox portable, with that intruiging design. The mysterious dial near the lid. Radio maybe? The little combo has to be a '61 like radiotvnut says. And the components are gravy, they can fund your growing Magnavox collection!

dieseljeep
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm jealous! Especially that mono Magnavox portable, with that intruiging design. The mysterious dial near the lid. Radio maybe? The little combo has to be a '61 like radiotvnut says. And the components are gravy, they can fund your growing Magnavox collection!

I see the Magnavox portable phono has the " Plextone" painted cabinet. We used to paint machinery with that paint. It didn't look too bad. :yes:

Magnavox300
10-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Especially that mono Magnavox portable, with that intruiging design. The mysterious dial near the lid. Radio maybe?
That's right, It's a radio!
I looked up the model #, but I can't find any info about it.
Can't wait to work on it, I turned it on, and the radio worked, with some humming.
Sounded good and strong though, the phonograph turned, but was getting stuck now and then. Has 5 tubes I think, I took the chassis out yesterday just to look, also has two speakers in the front.

DavGoodlin
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice R/P and those are so hard to find anymore.

Does that Mag have the big spam-can HV cage?

Good luck also with the Onkyo stuff. I have similar Dual Cassette and Receiver - the only issue I found with the receiver is the ribbon cables between PCBs terminate on inline "jacks" which need to be bypassed and soldered directly.

Boobtubeman
10-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Wish those onkyos were here :D

Got a surround tuner set here and need the remotes and accessories :D

SR

Magnavox300
10-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Nice R/P and those are so hard to find anymore.

Does that Mag have the big spam-can HV cage?

It looks like a regular HV cage to me, what's a spam-can cage?