View Full Version : 1966 Magnavox console television found w/ others...

jathur02
09-27-2012, 02:00 AM
I found an abandoned house that has TONS of old vintage/antique tv's. A lot of them still have the tv's in them. The house is falling down, so I'm curious if I should try and save them all. The first one I saved I already gutted the inside, but wanted to know if it is worth anything. Here are a couple of pictures. I believe it is from 1966? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

snelson903
09-27-2012, 06:08 AM
send pictures of the other tv's ,make the pictures more clear and closer ,the chassie you are showing there looks rusty, but cant tell to pore of a picture. and are there any picture tubes unbroken.

Sandy G
09-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Be careful-"Urban Exploration" in abandoned houses is dangerous & frowned on in most places....You COULD get arrested, if the owner wants to make a stink, & you technically ARE stealing stuff... And it sounds like the house in question isn't all that safe to begin with.

snelson903
09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
there's something i dint think about at 2:30 am, why is there first tons of vintage tv's at [ abandoned house's ] in the first place ,second who says they are [ these homes] really abandoned, or someone useing them for storage.dont get me wrong im saying your stealing stuff but just make sure its not someone's storage property.

jathur02
09-27-2012, 12:28 PM
LOL at the responses and allegations. I work for the railroad and this house is owned by the railroad and has been abandonded for decades. The tv's are just rotting away and I'm doing it a favor by saving them. They are thinking of tearing it down, thus why I checked it out. I have FULL permission, and yes a lot of the tv's are still in nice shape. By tube, do you mean just the screen and all of the insides. I am new at this.

DaveWM
09-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Most interest will be in TVs that are tube based (tubes in side not solid state) but there may be exception. If its not too difficult the best thing would be to just get as many pics as you can, and then members could tell you what is good and what is not. There are lots of good parts that can always be salvaged even if the rest of the tV is shot.

DaveWM
09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
it would help to know where you are, there may be a member nearby.

dieseljeep
09-27-2012, 01:29 PM
send pictures of the other tv's ,make the pictures more clear and closer ,the chassie you are showing there looks rusty, but cant tell to pore of a picture. and are there any picture tubes unbroken.

Set looks to me like a late 60's, early 70's model. :yes:

marty59
09-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Set looks to me like a late 60's, early 70's model. :yes:

Yep, early rectangular Magnavox 1968 ish

ctc17
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
LOL at the responses and allegations. I work for the railroad and this house is owned by the railroad and has been abandonded for decades. The tv's are just rotting away and I'm doing it a favor by saving them. They are thinking of tearing it down, thus why I checked it out. I have FULL permission, and yes a lot of the tv's are still in nice shape. By tube, do you mean just the screen and all of the insides. I am new at this.

Yea i totally agree, I would be all over it regardless. Most the time you are doing the property owner a favor removing the E Waste.

Bill R
09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Where are you located. Lots of pictures would help.

Sandy G
09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, the main thing I wanted to emphasize is to BE CAREFUL. Sometimes, "Ababdoned" houses AREN'T quite as abandoned as they appear- hide-outs for gangs, drug dealers, etc., & they COULD be booby trapped. Or structurally unsound. ALWAYS have someone with you, or let someone know, "Just In Case".Yeah, I'm prolly a "Nervous Nelly", but it IS better to be safe as sorry.

bgadow
09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
At the very least, there could be many useful parts there. I bet somebody on here could use that chassis, for instance. That particular set probably isn't worth saving unless the front trim, tuners and crt neck components are still there. The missing picture tube isn't a deal breaker but having to locate the other stuff would keep it from being worthwhile. If it were a more valuable set (say, a 50s color model) even those missing items wouldn't make the set worthless. Keep us posted! A general location would be helpful, or just post a bunch of photos. As others have said, we can tell in a glance whether something is desirable.

snelson903
09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
i think you know what was ment ,you said you found abonded house that can mean alot of different things.and now days assuming your helping out a property owner by removing what you think is unwanted trash may not be the way they see it , you could find yourself in alittle bit of trouble ,thats not allegations .

snelson903
09-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Set looks to me like a late 60's, early 70's model. :yes: i ment so the picture you can see up close how rusty the parts are ,or if so damaged from kids smashing the chassie's. being in a house like that kids get in and smash up things.

magnasonic66
09-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see some more pics, and great that you have the property owners permission. We had the house at the end of our street, the woman went on vacation to Connecticut in 1982 and never came back home, having passed away. Her disgusting children fought over it for years, it became a nuisance property until 2005 when one of their lawyers ended up with it. The guy across the street got her 1953 Zenith Sutherland 3 in 1, and hauled it to the curb when he found out it smoked. I got him to bring it to my house and it stayed on the screen porch until an online friend made a side trip from across the state to pick it up. It had sat on wet carpeting during the rainy seasons, but was dry when removed. I was going to give him all the paperwork before I lost it in this confusion here.