View Full Version : DuMont model RA-502/503a

storyboy
09-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Does anyone know anything about this 15" tabletop set, as well as what it might be worth? It's fully functional and in excellent condition.

Tubejunke
09-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I know a couple of things. The first is that DuMont sets are some of the best quality and most interesting sets out there. I also know that I would love to have another. I always wanted a table top Dumont, but have only owned an RA-109A console that weighed a TON! As far as value, it is my opinion that these days a set is worth whatever a person is willing to give that happens to be close enough to your area to pick it up. Don't be a fool and give it away, but most old sets aren't worth a lot of money. In the condition that you describe, I would ask maybe $100 and see what happens.

Phil Nelson
09-27-2012, 01:05 AM
The best quality DuMonts were made in the late 1940s and up to about 1951-1952. I believe an RA-502 would have been made around 1959, after DuMont's star had faded. Perhaps a decent TV, but far less interesting than an early DuMont, at least in my view.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Tubejunke
09-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Ok, I didn't realize that we were talking about a later DuMont. Phil is right about the preferable time frame although I must say that once I saw a 60s DuMont color "roundie" once that was really nice. It was one of those huge TV/stereo combos that they did back then. There was two of them sitting in a local Salvation Army store, but I just couldn't see tackling more boat anchors no matter how interesting and cool looking. I also remember some time in relatively recent years (the 90s maybe) seeing small DuMont potables for sale in five and dime stores. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it because as far as I know the company went under back in the 60s.

magnasonic66
09-28-2012, 07:23 AM
I was curious myself about the in name only Dumont color console I found in a dealer in the 1980s before I got my first brand new tv set.

Tubejunke
10-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I was curious myself about the in name only Dumont color console I found in a dealer in the 1980s before I got my first brand new tv set.

It's funny how a name can mean so much. I have to admit that if I saw modern TVs or other electronics with a good old name like DuMont that I would be inclined to show interest in it or purchase it if needed. But it seems that corporate names can simply be bought I guess and pasted on whatever Chinese companies crap that makes it. We still see good old names like Motorola, Admiral, Magnavox, and Zenith, but none of them are really any better, or worse, than the next. Is all made it China for God's sake! :thumbsdn:

So, anyway the DuMont name must have been purchased at some time back in the 80s and given a go to see if perhaps people that remembered the once mighty name might once again be interested in the product line. Most likely the marketing scheme was targeting people at the peak age (at the time) to be well into careers, possibly retiring, or otherwise well off and old enough to remember the name. I often wonder how all of this works with buying a name. Maybe someone of legal education will chime in on this. Could I go somewhere and buy some right to start selling TVs that I can get produced in China DuMonts? Same thing with Indian Motorcycle. They come; they go, often a decent product paying full respect to the heritage at least, but the market is so limited. Back to selling DuMonts, I don't really plan on it, just interested in how all of that works.

N2IXK
10-03-2012, 07:06 AM
DuMont was purchased by Emerson at one point (late 50s or early 60s?). Had a 17" portable branded "DuMont/Emerson" a while back. Made a nice picture, and decent build quality.

The name was apparently sold again, to some offshore manufacturer. I remember seeing ads for DuMont branded BPC type sets about 10 years ago. Never actually saw one of those sets, though.

n2bew
10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
If anyone is in the NYC area this is in a little town just north of there near West Point.

I don't know much about Dumont's and got curious from these posts and looked to see if there were any in my area,this is about 80 miles south of me.
I don't have the money just now and was wondering from those experienced if this set would even be worth that much?
Seems a bit high to me.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/atq/3245649906.html

Phil Nelson
10-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes, the price is a bit high but the RA-103 is a beautifully engineered TV. I have one in the same (Meadowbrook) cabinet:

http://antiqueradio.org/DuMontRA-103Television.htm

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

holmesuser01
10-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I've see some Phillips built DuMont TV's from the 1980's or so..

I worked for a rent to own company that had NEC built DuMont VCR's... a silver colored mono machine (8500), and a dark silver linear stereo machine (8700.) I've still got 2-3 of these things in the garage. They were based on an NEC N-901 machine.

Bruce

n2bew
10-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Phil,
Beautiful restoration job, and I really enjoyed reading through your restoration page.
I would consider calling them and making an offer for around $250 but I was given 3 TV's a few weeks ago including a halolight console that is going to be my next project and I promised the wife no more TV's for a while.
I will definitely be on the look out for a Dumont in the future though.

Thanks, Tom